• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skip and Loafer (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I saw Mitsumi skip! Like, they even gave it a sound effect and everything. So I guess that is where the skip in the title came from.

Anyway, looks like I was way off thinking the mom might be an actively destructive force. I was picturing her wanting to be a stage mom again and calling reporters or something, then Rinka getting exposed on camera when hostilities broke out between her and Shima and Mitsumi. Instead, it looks like mom is being quietly supportive, and her reaction to Rinka is probably because she knows Rinka and Shima's history and didn't know they were still in touch.

Love this show.

(BTW - we all are agreed that under the camera frame level,, mom is holding a knife, right? Just checking)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11: Hype and Excitement

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
What a cool show. Even if there are some things I would change I still wouldn't change em' cause this show's laid back but quirky distinctness is what I like.

Does anybody know if the manga (I'm assuming there is one) ended at the same point as the anime, or does the story go on?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

@ Edjwald - I haven't read the manga, but according to my good friend Wikipedia there's been 8 volumes released in Japan and no mention of it being done. I have no idea how many episodes = how many volumes adapted but I'd be willing to bet there's still a fair amount of unadapted manga.

I'm rating this show Good. It was a dependable weekly watch and I would certainly watch any future instalments. I have one quibble with the finale: I was not down with Ririka successfully chasing off Sosuke's mom. I was actually hoping that Mitsumi was going to run after her and convince her to stay but it was not be. Oh well.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have one quibble with the finale: I was not down with Ririka successfully chasing off Sosuke's mom. I was actually hoping that Mitsumi was going to run after her and convince her to stay but it was not be. Oh well.

I know what you're saying, but I kind of liked Mitsumi's anteater pose. Going with that random moment instead of having the expected scene where Ririka goes over the line insulting Mitsumi and Shima steps in and finally starts swinging (verbally) is one of the things I like about the show. I admit, a slapdown would have been satisfying, but it also would have been out of character for both Mitsumi (having a hard time seeing her in the cutthroat field of politics) and Shima at this point.

If there are future storylines, it makes sense that some things weren't completely resolved.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:55 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anteater pose too, but I'm less happy about what could have been an interesting conflict being swiftly tamped down. This happens too often in SoL shows for my liking. Things are low key and we'll finally get to something that could generate some fireworks and... pffffffffff. It just all fizzles out. I take your point that it might be part of an ongoing story line in the manga but even if it is what do you wanna bet that it LOOKS LIKE IT COULD LEAD TO SOME CONFLICT.... but nah.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
That was a very fun series. I really liked most of the characters and it felt organic as to how they all grew closer. There were lots of fun moments and it never bored me despite not that much actually happening. There was also some solid character development and even the drama that was there was not too overly dramatic.

That said, notice that I said most characters. Ririka and Kirusu are the outliers. Ririka is toxic as hell and it is all about her. She has no issue in gaslighting and manipulating others to make them feel bad and will go cry in a corner when she does not get her way like a petulant toddler. Meanwhile Kirusu is a coward and enabler of Ririka. Honestly, Shima would do well in just cutting both of them off completely for his own mental health.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I take your point that it might be part of an ongoing story line in the manga but even if it is what do you wanna bet that it LOOKS LIKE IT COULD LEAD TO SOME CONFLICT.... but nah.

Welp, considering I fell victim to that very trap when I anticipated the mom and Rurika being much more dramaticful <- dramatic and impactful smushed together...

...no bet.

The show just charmed me into not caring . Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@ Edjwald - I can relate. Otaku Elf is that show for me this season. Narratively unambitious but I don't give a dang... just gimme that elf adorableness and I'm good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote
I kind of don't really have a lot to say about it at the very end, I am not really sure as far as an end of series I feel something like a narrative finale. We did have things like Sousuke's mum and brother, as well as Ririka, but Ririka's whole thing wasn't really that interesting, and seemed chosen over say Sousuke committing to be less estranged from his family. And in general a lot of that is a little too distanced from Mitsumi, who's character I was much more interested for things like how she gathered her friend group.

I will rate as Good (7/10), it was worth seeing, with some parts I think particularly likable, and other parts not too interesting, even as far as a slice of life goes. I understand the source material still ongoing, so I guess expecting something feeling more final wasn't in the table.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 12: Shining

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4