• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Dragon (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

Blue Dragon (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes: dragons

Plot Summary: As Shu's village was being attacked by an unknown enemy, he and his friends Jiro and Kluke decide to defend their home. They soon meet warrior Zola and receive the powers of Shadow, an ability that lets them transform their shadows into powerful monsters. Shu receives one of the most powerful monsters, Blue Dragon, and they all set out to defeat their enemy.
----------------------------------

Just to let you guys know, that the first episode of Blue Dragon is finally subbed by a new group called (fansub group reference removed), although I've already seen the first episode RAW,but now i'm interested to see how this turns out subbed.

anyway, my first thoughts on the first episode was pretty good and interesting,but near the end of the episode they were pulling those Super Saiyan-style combats from DBZ like for example spoiler[when shu was charging up super saiyan style to summon his Blue Dragon during the battle]

anyway, I'm looking forward to more to see how this goes,because i'm a huge fan of Akira Toriyama's character designs like Chrono Trigger and DBZ.

share your thoughts on Blue Dragon so far.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
Just to let you guys know, that the first episode of Blue Dragon is finally subbed by a new group called (fansub group reference removed), although I've already seen the first episode RAW,but now i'm interested to see how this turns out subbed.

anyway, my first thoughts on the first episode was pretty good and interesting,but near the end of the episode they were pulling those Super Saiyan-style combats from DBZ like for example spoiler[when shu was charging up super saiyan style to summon his Blue Dragon during the battle]

anyway, I'm looking forward to more to see how this goes,because i'm a huge fan of Akira Toriyama's character designs like Chrono Trigger and DBZ.

share your thoughts on Blue Dragon so far.

Yeah, I've definitely got to start watching this series now that they've finally got the first episode up. I'm a little worried about this subbing group, though, considering they took this long to release the first episode, meaning that it might take me a while to watch this series if the rest of the episodes take this long to release! Evil or Very Mad

But yeah, being a big fan of Toryama myself, I've been largely anticipating this one for a while now. Never played the game though, seeing as how I don't have any Xbox console, but I do hope to someday.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
my guess is a lack of interest, doesn't seem like a lot of people really care about watching it. everyone i know whose watched it said it was pretty mediocre. in any case, i'll probably check out the first ep for myself since it's out now.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Blue Dragon

This anime is part of Blue Dragon universe with a game that's currently on the Xbox 360, the game has some of the biggest names working on with Toriyama, Uematsu, and Sakaguchi working together for the first time since Chrono Trigger, (A game that I personally believe to be the greatest game ever from squaresoft) needless to say I am beyond excited to see, play, and read the world of Blue Dragon. Also with Viz announcing this series early I assume that there are plans to get this series on Toonami/[AS] one would hope that there's going to be uncut dvds, I also hope that they announced the two manga titles sooner or later. I'm particularly excited to read Blue Dragon RalΩGrado manga by Takeshi Obata (Best know for the Death Note art) who's doing the art for the story.

As always spoilers for the first episode so beware if you haven't seen this yet.

Opening theme, the song really isn't my thing. It's just so boring and plain, if as it they studio pick the most neutral sounding song possible, it's not rock nor is it a soft ballad. As for the animation well nothing amazing, but I love art, there's already been a few characters that look intriguing and remind me of some of my old favorites.

Interesting back story of how light and darkness were created, it works for me considering who's behind this series. So that works for me, I can deal with the very basic definition given to this world.

Oh no this could be bad, the over the top super evil bad dude, along with incredible annoying sidekick thing.....So Shu is the name I am going to becoming very familiar with and as I pause my screen he doesn't look as much like Goku as I fear he might be but you can certainly see little bit's of him in Shu. Oh wow there was some powering up just like Dragon Ball Z, except it didn't go for an entire episode like DBZ. Damn I see a lot of Naruto in Shu, with the whole angle of being the strongest or wanting more power.

What's with the ships that look like weird freakin fish? And what's with the musket looking guns that have tommy gun wheel ammo. Well it certainly looks like this show isn't going to be as bloody/violent as naruto considering the blade slices are cutting into people and aren't showing tons of blood.

Well so the summoning begins, I really hope this isn't what were going to get every week. Because if that's the case then this is nothing short of a new Pokemon series.....except your not catching them all.....at least I hope not. Enter Blue Dragon, I like how the Dragon is introduced as this amazing power.....it really make Shu look a lot like Naruto with his Nine tailed fox spirit.....

Ending theme: Certainly an improvement on the opening but it's not something that I am going to listen to/watch every time like the new Death Note and the first opening/closing of Naruto. I'm more then likely going to skip the opening and closer for this series if anything.

Verdict: The foremen has ruled that this is a series that I can't watch every week. I think that for me to enjoy this series it's going to have to be like Naruto where I watched two uncut boxset over a week. I hope that will keep my interest in this series that way. I have one fear with this series and it's that it's going to retell the video game story, and for me I don't want that. I want a story that relates to the game (.hack roots and GU) but doesn't make it so that I am playing/watching the same story twice. Because if that is the case then I am just going to play the game.....seeing as how I need to dust off my 360, Wii, and the PS3.....oh wait I don't own that last one yet.

@v1cious I think that a lot of people are playing/ or waiting to play the game and will check out the anime later on. I am actually more excited about the Blue Dragon manga, Blue Dragon RalΩGrado which after reading a few chapters has some promise to it, but does have some things that worry me.

@BrothersElric A lot of fansubbing groups drops this series as Viz licensed the series basically before the series even aired. So it's not like we'll have to wait long for R1 dvds, at least I hope not.`
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
@BrothersElric A lot of fansubbing groups drops this series as Viz licensed the series basically before the series even aired. So it's not like we'll have to wait long for R1 dvds, at least I hope not.`

Ah, that would explain it then. I had no idea Viz licensed it already! I do as well hope that the DVD releases or the Toonami showing (if there will be one) don't take too long to come out. If they don't, I may just wait for those releases to watch this series.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Ah, that would explain it then. I had no idea Viz licensed it already! I do as well hope that the DVD releases or the Toonami showing (if there will be one) don't take too long to come out. If they don't, I may just wait for those releases to watch this series.

Ya darn whippersnappers need to clean your ears. Unfortunately for all of us out here it doesn't include the licenses for the two different manga but I am pretty sure that Viz will be releasing those also. Or at least I hope so because Blue Dragon RalΩGrado could turn out to be something a little different in a good way.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ahh Yes, I can defentilly see this on Toonami, for some reason, I can defentilly see this to rival Naruto,but probully won't get the same glory populariety like DBZ did, even if it has Akira's character designs, but who knows, if this goes well,maybe it'll be popular enough to Rival the New redub of the Funimation Onepiece.

as I need to say, this show has alot of potential to become a new toonami hit,and there's already a Blue Dragon 2 already in progress in japan from what I heard, and if this goes smooth and good, maybe Blue Dragon will get another editional set of New episodes like they basically did with Sonic X when it was originally planned for 52 episodes, but was increased for another editional 26 episodes. Razz
headpower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Anyone pay attention to the show, it seems no one really talk about it but it does have a 2nd season after its initial 51 eps run. I usually dont follow animation that is made to boast the sales of the game, but after finish watching it, i think it is a decent show. The fight is pretty generic, didn't expect much when the story is different than the game. It does have a dragonball feel, for those that like the dragonball char design, give the show some chance.

OK for those that watched the anime, 2nd season poster didn't include spoiler[ kluke in there, and the big boob girl seems like the female protaganist, i always thought kluke is like the girl meant for shue, and after watching the opening, it seems kluke is with the guy that controls the stonelike shadow. I know this show is not meant for love or anything but kluke seems like the female protagnist for the 1st season then suddenly she got kick out of the show, and now we get to see more of the big boob girl. I would like to see more of kluke in 2nd season then that big boob girl, she wasnt even in the game, she was an original character made for the anime, anyone feel the same.]
sj21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
I did. Well the dub. I watched the first two episodes on CN. I was very impressed but hated the mech designs. they were too childish(sonic x like). But overall it seems very good. Very Happy
sk1199

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The first episode can now be seen on Toonami Jetstream. So maybe it will be on CN, but I wouldn't be too excited since both MAR and Prince of Tennis were on Jetstream and look how they were handled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1