• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodomo no Kodomo Manga's Live-Action Film in September

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Well. This should be interesting o_o;;
I guess the title makes sense then, "Child of a Child".

I'm curious to see how it's handled. This is a really really touchy topic (At least, in America it is) and I'm sure the PTA (Or the Japanese equivalent) will have numerous things to say about it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Though it is incredibly weird for an 11 year old to be able to that "physically prepared" to be pregnant, this is minute compared to a 5 year old getting pregnant. I swear this is true and it is the youngest verified age of a girl/woman getting pregnant.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this manga before, and I wonder how the issues are handled... No one seems to have scanlated it, so now I'm even more curious.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Good. Every year the middle school pregnancies goes higher and higher, at least in America. Sex ed is apparently taught too late or sometihng idk...but yeah..a movie like this is probably needed.
Neito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Good. Every year the middle school pregnancies goes higher and higher, at least in America. Sex ed is apparently taught too late or sometihng idk...but yeah..a movie like this is probably needed.
I doubt your optimisim is deserved.
A) The people who would most need something talking about middle school sex ed are the people who would ban something like this from entering their house
B) It's not a substitute for proper sex ed. I doubt it'll even be close.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I reeeeeeeeeeeeally wonder how they handle this touchy subject. Is pre-teen sex denounced? Glorified? Considered accepted? Obviously, the character's parents aren't hunky-dory with it. Does it take the typical girl-gets-outcasted-by-bigot-adults or does it use a fresh and more realistic perspective?

The premise itself almost seems like it could be crass and stupid rather than heartfelt and powerful. At the same time, if it goes for the emotional side, it could easily be sappy and thick. I think the execution has to be even more powerful than the message for something like this.....
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I am very curious to read/watch this now. An 11 yr old pregnant! I hear about middle schoolers pregnant all the time in my day but now that young. Plus I never heard of this in manga form. Intriguing.

BTW, they taught sex ed when I was in 4th grade. I think that's as young you can take it..
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I wanna read this now.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Neito wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
A) The people who would most need something talking about middle school sex ed are the people who would ban something like this from entering their house

Probably not but it's better than being pessimistic. I just have a lot of hate for people who let their kids end up that way...and with the numbers of it happening increasing a lot every year (and the ages lowering), my anger levels rise more.
Neito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Neito wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Probably not but it's better than being pessimistic. I just have a lot of hate for people who let their kids end up that way...and with the numbers of it happening increasing a lot every year (and the ages lowering), my anger levels rise more.
But the answer is more funding for better education, and an effort to change shameful attitudes about sex.
Empathy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Embarassed I hope this turns out good. By the way of the description, I kind of get a "Dare mo Shiranai" (Nobody Knows) feel.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I did a double take when I saw the title. I'm interested, but scared.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

...Or it could be like the case at my school district where they don't teach it at all. XP Not because of funding, but because the teachers knew most of the students WANTED the class. And it wasn't because they were interested in education. *sigh* ...I had alot of perverted classmates. ~_~;;;
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I did a double take when I saw the title. I'm interested, but scared.

That's a good way to describe my reaction as well.

Kimyo wrote:
This is so f'cking nasty.

Well, I suppose you could put it that way, but the more people go "Ewwww, gross!!!" and turn their heads, the more sudden drop outs high school/middle school is going to have. Obviously, throwing a rug over the problem doesn't make it go away, and it's probably about time something like this came along =P (Of course, I haven't seen the movie (of course), or read the books, so maybe it is "nasty". I doubt it though.) There were a bunch of kids that dropped out of my school last year because of a pregnancy, and I don't see it getting any scarcer.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Though it is incredibly weird for an 11 year old to be able to that "physically prepared" to be pregnant, this is minute compared to a 5 year old getting pregnant. I swear this is true and it is the youngest verified age of a girl/woman getting pregnant.

Well, it's not that weird. Most girls hit puberty between 8-12 years old. And on the other end of the spectrum some don't become "prepared" until they are much later teens. But typically its between 8-12 that a girl gets her first period and thus become pregnant.

Either way, it's gross. I can't even imagine...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4