• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - A Lighter of Gold

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Uh... is that the right caption for the picture of Gold Lightan? Wink
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Ultra Magnus in Japan is...Ultra Magnus...

Optimus Prime is Convoy.

You play as Magnus in the game.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, that brings back memories! I went to GameTronics in Houston back in 1991. I had just got my SNES and had heard on a radio advertisement about the imported games. Unfortunately, I was ignorant about the compatibility issues, but it was Ledford who very courteously explained things. There wasn't a huge selection, but I do remember that most of the box art was anime style. If only I knew then what I know now! Shocked

Yes, Chrono Trigger is still one of my all time favorites. In fact, the background tune that played during the area in the clouds still pops in my head from time to time. Right now, in fact. It's one of only two games I still own for my SNES. I just couldn't trade it in. I would bet the battery in the cartridge is long since drained.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
CAPCOM's supposedly hoping to release this over here, and I'm now convinced that it'd be a travesty if Tatsunoko vs. CAPCOM didn't show up at every arcade in America.

What, all three of them? Wink Also, you can get PSIV on that SEGA collection for the PS2.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Although I no longer have anything to play it on, I'm still looking forward to Persona 4. But are the Chrono Trigger game(s) really that good/popular, or was it sarcasm? Honestly, I've heard very little about them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
DF: CT was overrated, and done better in Final Fantasy Legend 3. But back when RPGs were few and far in-between, CT was considered innovative, because DB and Final Fantasy hadn't been milked to death here yet. Still, if you like really easy games which require little-to-no strategy, other than spoiler[taking the time machine repeatedly at key moments and fighting Lavos to get the alternative ending(s)], then CT's for you. Get yourself some Earthbound instead, even if you have to scour E-bay for it.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to disagree on that. Whether or not CT is overrated is debatable - but it is certainly a good JRPG. It has an excellent soundtrack, an interesting plot that revolves around time travel, great visuals done by Toriyama, and a pretty good battle system. It was also ahead of its time by including multiple endings.

Plus, like EarthBound, you can actually see the enemies on the map! Why RPGs still have random encounters is beyond me...

Needless to say, I'm really excited for this CT remake. I just hope they pack in enough extra content to make it worth buying.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:
Ultra Magnus in Japan is...Ultra Magnus...

Optimus Prime is Convoy.

You play as Magnus in the game.

Right you are. I think I reverted to my childhood recollection that Magnus has a white Optimus Prime inside him and is therefore ALSO Optimus Prime. It makes sense when you're eight.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Chrono Trigger is the greatest video game of all time, hands down. The settings, the situations, the varying gameplay, the music, the battle system, the differing story directions. It was innovative, fun, and unforgettable. I can and will not bow to "opinions" on this. It, to me, is a fact that it's the greatest game. I'm sorry for losing my reason on this.

I once stayed overnight at my aunt and uncle's place who live many miles away just to play it on my cousins' SNES. No, more specifically, because I was entraced by the overtheme of 600 A.D., "Wind Scene".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Whether or not CT is overrated is debatable
Make that any game being overrated is debatable. MGS 4 latest "overrated" game.

Quote:
I do a lot of complaining this time, mostly about how Nintendo's Virtual Console treats America like a pet hissing cockroach.
Going from three a week to one in favor for WiiWare is a black eye for those who much rather play classic games then shovel ware like that drinking ping pong game and the one about eating. I'll be more then welling to dump my saved game of ActRaiser for Earthbound or Mario RPG. But I do love Dr. Mario. :p

As hard as Apple tries, I doubt the game system will be add to phone/music player/thing that gets a price drop every other month. Didn't help the N-Gage that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
penguin: I can understand your love for the series. I just don't think it's all that exciting, once you realize how limited the endings are, and how small the effort is required to win. People were arguing that FF6 too got easy with Ultima, but the levels in the second world still required planning and successful navigating to finish the game. CT was mostly about guessing which spell or attack worked best on certain bosses, and using your combos for everything else. [Though finding monster weaknesses is still a helluva lot more reliable than in Skies of Arcadia.] I admit I liked CT more, but I think Star Ocean came up with better approaches to getting multiple endings.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but I liked Chrono Cross more than Trigger, though neither of the games were as great as people make them out to be. At the very least, the OST in Cross is undeniably better than Trigger's (and nearly every other game, too).
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
Used to see the Yohko game in one of the local game shops, but having no Mega Drive, I didn't even bother trying it out. Don't think any of the rental arcades (where you played console games by the half-hour) ever had it.

Wonder if the PC Engine CD-ROM game was any better.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Chrono Trigger is what inspired my username and one of my fav RPGs of all time,I don't care how overrated it is,I also Enjoyed Phantasy Star 4 alot and it's a shame it never got a graphic enhance remake like phantasy star 1 and 2 did, and as for some of those other games like Monster world 4 and Devil Hunter Yohko,most of them I played on emulation,they're pretty fun,and I'm currently playing Rondo no Blood and the 3-D remake on the PSP Castlevania Dracula X chronicles,which is basically 3 games in one,the original 2-D rondo no blood,the 3-D remake and the PSX game symphony of the night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3