• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Beyblade Championship in three weeks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
"North American Beyblade Chanpionship in three weeks"

...what's a Chanpionship??? Wink
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By popular demand there will be a 15+ Blader Tournament for Beybladers 15 and over*

I had no idea it was so popular in the older demographic.

Is this a big thing in Japan as well? I mean what do they do? Pay $15 to go bounce zippy spinny tops at each other? *oh, I just read the Rules, so I guess that IS what they do..

To each his own, I suppose. ^_~
Axle911

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Quote:
By popular demand there will be a 15+ Blader Tournament for Beybladers 15 and over*

I had no idea it was so popular in the older demographic.

Is this a big thing in Japan as well? I mean what do they do? Pay $15 to go bounce zippy spinny tops at each other? *oh, I just read the Rules, so I guess that IS what they do..

To each his own, I suppose. ^_~

I think its for the card game, as i once read an article from a guy that was mad that he was over 15 and could'nt play (p.s. dude play a better card game...)
Tamer Brad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well for one thing, it's not just tops hitting eachother. Beyblade is really strategic and complex. But, most people disregard that fact because they are spinning tops...

I'm the one that lead the project for older Beyblade divisions. I'm really happy to see it succeeded.

http://otc.uzipp.com/game/respect/13years.shtml

This is our project Very Happy

Please don't speak of this game as it is so simple if you make no attempt to learn of it ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tamer Brad wrote:
Please don't speak of this game as it is so simple if you make no attempt to learn of it ^^;

I'm sorry if I sounded condescending in my post. I shouldn't pass judgement on something I don't know about. I'm sure it's a fun thing.
Tamer Brad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:45 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Tamer Brad wrote:

I'm sorry if I sounded condescending in my post. I shouldn't pass judgement on something I don't know about. I'm sure it's a fun thing.

Hehe it's okay =D

Anyway, I'm happy my project succeeded. I hope this will carry over to the World Championships in New York this year.

And Beyblade is quite popular in Japan. 1000+ player tournament is too small.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
having played many, many, many games over my lifetime... I'd say complex? No. I have to admit it is strategic because of the variety of tops one can create, but I can't bring myself to call it complex because the rules are still pretty simple and there is only so much variety to be had there.

Then again, some of the most simple games are also the most fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tamer Brad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
having played many, many, many games over my lifetime... I'd say complex? No. I have to admit it is strategic because of the variety of tops one can create, but I can't bring myself to call it complex because the rules are still pretty simple and there is only so much variety to be had there.

Then again, some of the most simple games are also the most fun.

Who's going top know better; the one with the insanely popular Beyblade site, or you? ^^;

I still don't know all complex strategies of this game. Zombie, compact, endurance, upper, gattyaki, sliding shoot...just some examples of the complexity and variety of this game.

Anime fans put up with a lot of crap from close-minded people. How can we have this type of behaviour WITHIN out culture?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:21 am Reply with quote
Anybody can create a website... that alone doesn't qualify you as an expert... and I was speaking comparitively anyway. That means that even if you are the ultimate expert in Beyblade, it doesn't make you an expert at comparing another game you may know nothing about. If you can't compare game systems, who are you to say which of the two is more complex? There are many, many games out there that put this to shame in terms of complexity and strategy. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tamer Brad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Anybody can create a website... that alone doesn't qualify you as an expert... and I was speaking comparitively anyway. That means that even if you are the ultimate expert in Beyblade, it doesn't make you an expert at comparing another game you may know nothing about. If you can't compare game systems, who are you to say which of the two is more complex? There are many, many games out there that put this to shame in terms of complexity and strategy. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Anybody can create a website, yes. But mine is the leading authourity in North America; we've even had a huge influence on Hasbro's decisions with this game.

And who's comparing Beyblade to another game? I said it's complex, which it is. You're speaking of the game even though you have no understanding of it.

I never said there weren't more complex or strategic games out there. Stop taking my words out of context.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, you're right. Beyblading is incredibly intricate and takes years to master, just like Pengu Extreme.

http://c.adorablebunnies.com/UPLOAD/pinguxtreme.swf

I mean, blindly hitting a penguin's severed head onto randomly placed mines for distance takes SO MUCH strategy, it's unfathomable.

Seriously though, could you please enlighten us ignorant masses to the complexities of Beyblading? Honestly, what sort of strategy is involved in spinning a top that just goes wherever it wants after the cord's pulled?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I mean, blindly hitting a penguin's severed head onto randomly placed mines for distance takes SO MUCH strategy, it's unfathomable.

The trick is to hit one of the first mines so that you can get the initial momentum to carry you for the furthest distance. But, the spikes in the beginning make it tricky...
Goshin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

The trick is to hit one of the first mines so that you can get the initial momentum to carry you for the furthest distance. But, the spikes in the beginning make it tricky...

Hey, you’re right! I must’ve hit like 7 mines. The farthest I’ve gone was 769.4! Anime hyper

Oh yeah, and about Beyblading…Do you guys actually scream out, "LET ‘EM RIP!" I mean, I’m sure yelling at the top of your lungs, at the spinning little toy must somehow, (strategically) enhance your playing ability, right? Anime smile + sweatdrop
*sarcasm
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
i win. but seriously, we're talking about bayblade, not pingu... so please, no further discussion about the flash game, ok? :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SubparPlasma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:58 am Reply with quote
Tamer Brad wrote:
And who's comparing Beyblade to another game? I said it's complex, which it is. You're speaking of the game even though you have no understanding of it.

Making a pizza can be complex if you want it to be. It's really all in the eyes and IQ of the beholder.

I really don't want to flame, but for the "leading" beyblade authority there are quite a few spelling and puncuation errors on your website. I'd have more respect for you if you ran spell check to fix those, and possibly check your holier-than-thou attitude at the door.

[Edit] - Accidently put whole post in quotes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2