• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccdx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Group B-25
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Kyohya Ohtori, Ouran High School Host Club [ Video Clip ]

This one's pretty simple. The Count easily beats Kyohya. The Count's masterful plan for revenge took massive intelligent thinking and an impressive amount of self-control not to just go on a bloody murdering rampage. He exacts his revenge with class and style and is almost a shoe in for the final four in my opinion, almost...

Group B-26
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV [ Video Clip ]

Both are really not that impressive. I'll give the slight edge to Akio. The clip is a mix of about 6 different episodes with the last section hinting to his evil plan. I've watched pretty much all the rest of the scenes of him in the whole series and it only gets weirder. Definitely more of an art piece of a show that a show with an clear and understandable story line.

Group B-27
Drosselmeyer, Princess Tutu [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf [ Video Clip ]

This one is pretty easy too. Drosselmeyer does impressively manipulate the story on a grand scale, but Horo is clearly smarter with tons of years of knowledge and tricks up her sleeve. In regards to the clip, yes she says she "stole" the idea from another person, but you can't overlook how she masterfully manipulated that merchant into an ever higher sale price.

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, Great Teacher Onizuka [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aizen Sousuke, Bleach [ Video Clip ]

Going with Aizen. From my career in video clip hunting and from the many characters of many series I've never seen before, or will ever see, he's easily may favorite. His impressive wide reaching plan of betrayal, the way carries himself, how he speaks, and his devilish nature all reek of intelligence. Yes the rest of the cast are moronic, which makes it easier for him to pull one over on them, but I believe if he were in another series he would still be an intimidating match for anyone.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I have for votes after 3 days and 18 votes:

Match B-25: The Count leads 15-3.

Match B-26: Akio Ootori leads 16-2.

Match B-27: Horo the Wise leads 13-5.

Match B-28: Sousuke Aizen leads 11-7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo vs.
Kyoya Ohtori, Ouran High School Host Club
Voting For: Count of Monte Cristo
Reason: Kyoya had a good run, but he's ultimately outclassed here. There are some similarities between these two, kinda, but every mark of mastery that Kyoya possesses, the Count possesses ten times more of, so yeah.

Group B-26
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena vs.
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV
Voting For: Akio.
Reason: I simply didn't see much of anything in Satsuki. But I don't consider Akio very smart, AGAIN, he's just a libidinous evil monster with good connections and serious complexes that drive him to do the horribly creepy things he does. He has good people skills. Honestly, that's about it. Huh. Next round we'll have two smooth-tongued serpents against one another, won't we now?

Group B-27
Drosselmeyer, Princess Tutu vs.
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf
Voting For: Horo
Reason: One thing I like about Horo is that she's not only clever in deed, (as seen by the little clip) but she spouts some nice little anecdotes about human nature and the logic behind why people do business. She's also an excellent judge of character even when her foes are quite crafty liars, which is a not-often-seen mark of intelligence. Add to that that Drosselmeyer's clip didn't do anything for me. Okay, so he's the Pagemaster. And...?

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, GTO vs.
Aizen Souskue, Bleach
Voting For: Aizen
Reason: Some arguments could be made against Aizen, but not with Kikuchi as his competition. Honestly, Kikuchi has some "wizard" tech skills (for his time), but doesn't have much else going for him. Yes, I've seen the show. Kyoya would beat him out simply because Kyoya actually has a goal to pursue, while Kikuchi is more like arrogant-genius-for-hire man. I think his arrogance actually outclasses his smarts. Aizen has some dumber competition, but it's a LOT of competition, and mass hypnosis is tricky business, not to mention the cold speed with which he reacts to everything. He's pretty wicked smart, even if his competition is a buncha dummies in a shonen tournament show.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Eep! Surprised It's almost time for the next round! Why didn't anyone warn me it was Monday today?

Votes based on the profiles rather than the videos. I don't have time to download them before the deadline. The server they're on is sloooow.

Group B-25 *changed*
Voting for: Kyohya Outori, Ouran High School Host Club
Reason: The profiles were close, but in the videos, the Count doesn't show much of anything besides a nasty personality. The Ouran video is very confusing, but at least Outori shows some intelligence.

Group B-26
Voting for: Satsuki Yatoji, X TV
Reason: I hate Akio Outori, and he isn't smart enough anyway.

Group B-27
Voting for: Horo the Wise, Spice & Wolf
Reason: Horo shows her intelligence more directly.

Group B-28
Voting for: Yoshito Kikuchi, Great Teacher Onizuka
Reason: Kikuchi seems more versatile than Aizen.

ETA: The round's not closed yet? I'll change my vote in B25 then.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Group B-25 *changed*
Voting for: Kyohya Outori, Ouran High School Host Club
Reason: The profiles were close, but in the videos, the Count doesn't show much of anything besides a nasty personality. The Ouran video is very confusing, but at least Outori shows some intelligence.

Very true, until you consider that spoiler[the cards were set up in such a way that Albert would be manipulated into picking the one in the middle...setting free a key accomplice of the Count's for him to assist in the second half of "Phase 1." The first half was befriending Albert, the second half is making him think the Count rescued him when he stages a kidnapping with the freed Peppino's gratitude and associates.]

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
ETA: The round's not closed yet? I'll change my vote in B25 then.

Um, the round doesn't close until midnight, so there's no need to panic. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Midnight on Tuesday? Oh, I though it closed midnight on Monday or something. I'll have time to finish watching the videos then.

Anyways, I'd like to ask for the video clips to be presented in best-to-worst order from now on (or starting the next contest if that can't be). Using clips which don't show the characters' best sides first allows them to be defeated even though they could have survived a round or two with better supporting material. Using clips that aren't as good later on doesn't really make things worse since we'd still have the earlier (good) clips as well.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
With less than 15 minutes to go, here's what I have for tourney votes right now:

Match B-25: The Count leads 16-4.

Match B-26: Akio Ootori leads 17-3.

Match B-27: Horo the Wise leads 15-5.

Match B-28: Souske Aizen leads 12-8.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group B is now closed.

Official results can be found here. The only match-up that proved even remotely close was Aizen's battle against Yoshito Kikuchi, who put up a valiant effort but still fell four votes short.

The next round will be posted soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Very true, until you consider that spoiler[the cards were set up in such a way that Albert would be manipulated into picking the one in the middle...setting free a key accomplice of the Count's for him to assist in the second half of "Phase 1." The first half was befriending Albert, the second half is making him think the Count rescued him when he stages a kidnapping with the freed Peppino's gratitude and associates.]

Jesu, that is something I would not have wanted to find out until I had actually watched the series. Please spoiler tag your post.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Minigame results.

There's also a new addition on the score page. It's not complete because I only started this afternoon, and I have to do it manually because the method one of the participants came up with doesn't work quite the way I want it to. I should have it all nice and neat by next week though, and then I'll be able to start listing who has been knocked out of contention for prizes.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Jesu, that is something I would not have wanted to find out until I had actually watched the series. Please spoiler tag your post.

Sowwy. Embarassed It's all in the first episode, so I didn't think of it as very spoileriffic.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group C is now closed.

A couple of match-ups got tight last time, and it looks like we could have some interesting ones this time, too. Let's get to business!

Guide: Group C Guide

Group C-25
Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Nabiki Tendo, Ranma 1/2 [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Lelouch
Total: 17-3

Group C-26
Lupin, Lupin III franchise [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Griffith, Berserk [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Lupin
Total: 16-4

Group C-27
Teletha “Tessa” Testarossa, Full Metal Panic! franchise [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Kiichi Goto, Patlabor franchise [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Kiichi Goto
Total: 13-7

Group C-28
Nico Robin, One Piece [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Johan
Total: 18-2

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
All brackets and Mini-game scores updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Template:

Group C-25
Lelouche Lamperouge, Code Geass vs.
Nabiki Tendo, Ranma 1/2
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:

Group C-26
Lupin, Lupin the 3rd franchise vs.
Griffith, Berserk
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:

Group C-27
Teletha "Tessa" Tesstarossa, Full Metal Panic franchise vs.
Kiichi Goto, Patlabor franchise
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:

Group C-28
Nico Robin, One Piece vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster
Voting For:
Reason:
Possibility of Change:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 90