• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ecchi and fan service ≠ erotica (and "adults only"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Before the new genre system that had been introduced, age rating could only be entered by staff. However, since then the "adults only" rating has no longer been a submittable item (all other age ratings from "all ages" to "mature" are still staff-only); rather, it is now linked with "erotica" genre, which is submittable by any user. This feature, although helps searching including/excluding adults-only titles, creates a new problem as some users have started marking non-explicit titles as "erotica" and subsequently marked as "adults only," namely Ichigo 100%, Ikki Tousen, Kanokon, Mouse, Rosario + Vampire Capu2, etc.

To have "erotica" as genre (and subsequent "adults only" rating), a title must have ALL following features:
  1. Explicit sexual intercourse with EXPOSED GENITALS THAT MUST BE CENSORED with mosaics and/or fog in its Japanese release(s).
  2. NOT available on public television (so basically you can rule out all TV series, with Oruchuban Ebichu on subscriber-only communication satellite (CS) TV as an exception)
  3. For Japanese releases, its page on Amazon.jp would have a warning when opened, and a red [アダルト] mark stays beside the title. For US English releases, RightStuf warns you when you try to open the page of any adult-only title, and "Adult" stays beside the title.
Therefore, please stop submitting "erotica" for ecchi / fan service titles on TV. Any new submission after this announcement will be warned once and ONLY ONCE; if one does not stop and keeps submitting "erotica" on ecchi series I will have to ban him/her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
This has indeed been a problem. However, I think that the importance of this post warrants it more than just a regular post. It should be upgraded to at least a sticky or something. If you don't think that is necessary then please ignore.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
It should be upgraded to at least a sticky or something.

Well I wish that I could post sticky threads here. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
Or at least added to the list of Memorandums in the "Important Info For Contributors" post?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
NOT available on public television (so basically you can rule out all TV series

What about series that get "upgrades" and special OVA episodes or omake on the DVDs? Admittedly I don't believe this has ever amounted to adding explicit intercourse etc, but thought it worth mentioning. For example Kanokon, as I understand it, was close to the line even in the TV version and was pulled from GyaO and Gantz was hailed as being almost Gonzo's first Hentai due to one episode.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Dormcat pretty clear said ALL three factors must apply, and, while I don't know anything about Gantz, even the DVD specials for Kanokon didn't have explicit intercourse.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quite a few mature (17+) titles have frontal nudity, suggestive scenes, and/or hinting an intercourse is taking place, but they are still not erotica/hentai/adults only.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
May I ask, why the exception for Ebichu? From what I watched of it, it didn't seem like it would be considered hentai, even though it had a lot of sexual content. Some other sites I know that list anime series (that I don't think I can link to since they list fansubs) don't consider it to be hentai. Also, I tried looking it up on Amazon.jp and didn't see the mark you listed, either for the DVDs or the manga version (though I can't read Japanese, so I don't know what else the pages may have said).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Gantz was hailed as being almost Gonzo's first Hentai due to one episode.

Yes, but they didn't show weiner dogs and tacos to my knowledge.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
May I ask, why the exception for Ebichu? From what I watched of it, it didn't seem like it would be considered hentai, even though it had a lot of sexual content. Some other sites I know that list anime series (that I don't think I can link to since they list fansubs) don't consider it to be hentai. Also, I tried looking it up on Amazon.jp and didn't see the mark you listed, either for the DVDs or the manga version (though I can't read Japanese, so I don't know what else the pages may have said).

I see the red "Adult" "mark" for manga (e.g., Take on Me 2) and for Bible Black ~La noche de walpurgis~ (the game), but not for the anime DVDs I browsed (e.g., Bible Black).

The other two marks to watch out for on Japanese material are the 成年 コミック ("seinen komikku"—"adult comics") mark on hentai manga, and the 18才 ("18-kin"—"over 18"; seen in various colors) mark for other products.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
May I ask, why the exception for Ebichu?

It's an ambiguous title, having exposed male genitals (but in a comical way similar to Crayon Shin Chan) and many highly suggestive dialogues, yet not focusing on intercourse or sexual arousal. I'd call it a "sex comedy" i.e. making fun of sex lives of its characters but not trying to arouse its watchers. I'm still not entirely sure whether should I keep its "erotica" genre.

Whether sex comedies considered as erotica and/or adults only, however, differs from country to country. In Japan Ebichu manga was serialized in a magazine targeted at young adult women. Think of Cosmopolitan: it contains lots topics about sex lives, yet no one would call it erotica. However, in some countries one has to show ID to buy a copy of Cosmopolitan or FHM.

For the record, Battle Royale was licensed and published in Taiwan a couple years ago, yet it was protested by a high school teacher and was called back / dropped before labeling it as "adults only" for a brief period of time. Similar thing had happened on Kodomo no Jikan / Nymphet in US, which I'm sure most ANN users are familiar with the incident.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
The other two marks to watch out for on Japanese material are the 成年 コミック ("seinen komikku"—"adult comics") mark on hentai manga, and the 18才 ("18-kin"—"over 18"; seen in various colors) mark for other products.

The most common one I have seen with the manga has been 成年 コミック in a yellow circle. And you can tell by the side of the volume with the provacative picture that they have of a random girl that maybe the manga is a bit "extreme."
Mitsuho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A good explanation reference when you don't feel like disambiguating everything is tvtropes.org

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ecchi
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanservice
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hentai

It's like a solid, highbrow encyclopediadramatica
Flowright

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Mitsuho wrote:
A good explanation reference when you don't feel like disambiguating everything is tvtropes.org

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ecchi
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanservice
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hentai

It's like a solid, highbrow encyclopediadramatica

Hmm really cleared out my mind. But now curiously speaking,

Would you classify Love Story Step up as a Hentai anime? Several sources tells me it's a ecchi,

manga#3800

Just to add this as a challenging item to make things clear.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Flowright138 wrote:
Would you classify Love Story Step up as a Hentai anime? Several sources tells me it's a ecchi,

manga#3800

The story itself is adult oriented, but the content within the story itself makes it so that the company that distributed it labeled it as a 16 and older series, which technically doesn't qualify it as hentai. The story itself focuses more on how to do the dirty, instead of just doing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2