• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Mushroom Samba

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You were one of those kids back in 1998, especially the one who kept talking about how to catch Mew.

OMG, I was one of those kids who talked about Mew! Ahhh, the memories. Though I won't be buying Platinum. I've got every species of Pokemon on my copy of Diamond and only one DS so unless I get a DSi at some point and a strong urge to replay Pokemon I'll be putting that cash towards things like Henry Hatsworth and Rhythm Heaven.

I'm waiting on some Lux-pain reviews though. Nintendo Power wasn't very kind to it but it looks too good to let a rather unreliable magazine decide whether or not to buy it.

Also, I want more Professor Layton! The first one sold very well and they've been apparently translating the second one for about 5 years now. Come on Nintendo, don't be lame.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Justin Wisniewski, you are not alone. I know your pain. Well, I know some of it; more than once has a power outage has robbed me of hours of gameplay. But I don't think I've ever had a memory card get wiped before...... On second thoughts, I really haven't suffered through the misery that you have. So give yourself a pat on the back for managing to stay sane throughout all of that. Uh, you did stay sane, right?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I remember how hard that game was. But at least I wasn't going in cirlces. I've been a gamer for now fifteen years and about a year ago I met my first game challenge.

Its name was Rogue Galaxy. Normally action/Rpg games aren't that difficult that you spend hours going in circles. But most action/rpg games don't have Level Five and Square Enix as developers.

There were two towers, one boss in each tower that you would have to beat. Somehow, despite constantly looking at the map, I went in cirlces. There apparently was a elevator that lead back to the first floor, should you go on it. But of course, knowing Level five, there would just be one of those elevators, there would be four in total.

Not to mention each floor seemed longer than the last and the enemies kept attacking me, even after using a monster repel. In the end, it took me over five hours just to scale the first tower and beat the boss.

Though Rogue Galaxy isn't as difficult as the newest Street Fighter or Battle Toads, it was sure a difficult game. Even if I had a playstation portable, I don't think I could challenge Prinny without resorting to a strategy guide.

Well that was my story, not as difficult as newer games, but still challenged me more than any game has in the last fifteen years or so.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
if the new King of Fighters XII does NOT add Mai, then i'm gonna be HATIN' SNK....FOREVER!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Kenichi Yoshida's artwork wasn't implemented well at all on the 3D character renders.

EDIT: I just looked up some media for the game, so I should clarify this. In the prerendered cutscenes, the character models look bad -- nothing like Yoshida's artwork. However, it seems the in-game character models are pretty decent representations of Yoshida's artwork.

Fortunately we'll probably be seeing a lot more of the in-game models than the cutscene renders.

Last edited by Josh7289 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One more thing, SNK: please don't pull a Soul Calibur II and put different bonus characters in each console version of The King of Fighters XII. I'm not buying another game system just for King or Rock Howard or Billy Kane.

I wouldn't worry about that, especially since I'm sure they want to keep the number of characters as high as possible on all versions and, well, they've never done it before. Come to think of it, has anyone aside from Namco done that? It's slipping my mind.

I'd say the most likely candidates are Mai, Yuri, King, and Elizabeth. The former three are cast staples who have been around since the beginning (barring King's exclusion from the Neo Geo's 2002). This game has an emphasis on reviving the old Fatal Fury vs Art of Fighting celebration theme in the early KOFs to an extent, as Masaaki Kukino makes that especially clear in that Game Informer interview, and besides, this cast is very male heavy right now.

Elizabeth was shown in some of the very early promo art in the game, the most recent of which even had her in a new blue outfit. There may be a better chance that her sprite was started on, considering that. Of course, er, I could be assuming entirely too much from that (Leona was depicted in her old get-up on the same flyer, so um er uh).

It's hard to say for sure. Either way, I wasn't expecting to see more characters on the console versions, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since apparently they haven't stopped working on more character sprites all this time (so they'll be ready for future KOFs).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gust's Atelier franchise dates back to 1997's Atelier Marie, though the three-game Atelier Iris series is the only part of it seen in North America.

Mana Khemia doesn't count? A lot of places seem to consider it "Atelier 9". Plus it has Pamela Ibis who has appeared in many of the Atelier games (and will likely appear again in the next one).

As far as who I want to see return to King of Fighters, I'm all for Mai and Rock, though I'd like to see one of the rarely used characters from Mark of Wolves. I imagine by this point in the time line characters like Freeman, Kim's two sons, or Kevin Ryan would be relevant.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw a commercial for Professor Layton the other day. I don't remember what channel it was, but it was probably Food Network or HGTV or something my mother watches that I don't. Anyway, I got all excited at first thinking maybe a new game was coming out, but no, it was for the first one. Isn't it a bit too late for something like that? Anyway, if they have enough money laying around for commercials, you'd think they could localize one of the other games. x.x
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Super Mario Land was such a masochistic ride for people used to playing the other games in the series. Still had more fun with it than the 64 game, though. As for the TMNT NES player, well, here's a gift for your trouble. Don't blow it all in one place.

Quote:
I confirmed my fears, for there in front of me was a completely wiped and ruined memory card that could no longer save data.

I think that happened to me with Lunar 2 or something.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Jenn Iovanovici offered her recollections of Ninja Gaiden II

Sorry, I'm just shocked girls were into Ninja-anything on that system. It's sort of like a guy being into shojo in the 80s. Oh, so they only heard of the series through the second one. Yeah, she'd probably throw the system in her tv set if she started with the original game. I nearly damaged my GB with AKKKlaim's craptastic Spider-Man game. Damn, though. If you thought part 2 was hard, you should probably stay away from Super C and Vice Project Doom. Wink My personal anti-Christ of a game, though, is Rolling Thunder.

Anyway, here's a present for you, too, Miss.spoiler[ P.S. Robert T.S. "dies", I think-unless they give him a much-demanded spin-off one day. I hear he's in the anime, too. ]

As for Mega Man X games, the worst one for me is part 3. But then I never played anything after the fourth game, because they stopped givin' me anime cut scenes. Crying or Very sad Speakin' 'a Mega Man, I always wondered why part 9 is an NES throwback, when the last one was on the PSX.

Quote:
At least he wasn't one of those guys who thought Ariel was hot well into his adulthood.

Well, Justin Timberlake thought Jessica Rabbit was hot enough to get his fiance to cosplay as her on SNL; so I guess there's no need to feel bad about that now. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and while I can feel for the Ouendan guy, you really shouldn't be bringing this stuff to work in the first place. I had my regular clothes once stolen during gym class in junior high, which is why I'd just carry my back-pack on me most of the time, so I wouldn't have to worry about that crap, and could find other crap to irritate me in its place.
Agoston

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Dammit Nintendo, give us more Layton instead of those countless brain training games.
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wow! I'm surprised my entry was posted! Sure I didn't win, but I'm happy that my tale was shared!

I'm "Garath" by the way. My internet nickname besides videomaster.

I have to say though, that I'm not about to punch MegaMan X2 in the face. In fact it's probably my favorite game EVER. Being I'm a big BIG MegaMan fan, and X2 is my favorite of the bunch.

But still... I'll NEVER EVER forget where that BLEEPING capsule upgrade is for the rest of my life!

It was actually really hard trying to come up with something to enter this contest with. I mean I've had my share of frustrating games. The Spider Guardian boss of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes comes to mind.

But really the pattern was: Try to beat section. Get a bit pissed at not making it. Try again. Rinse and repeat till I beat the damn thing. I mean it only makes sense that eventually I'll get lucky or something.

PS: As for the entry about Ninja Gaiden II. Wimp, the second one is a cake walk compared to the first game. I actually BEAT the second game when I was younger. Never could do that with the first one. Always lost on the second to last boss. Wasn't until sometime last year I finally sat down and beat it.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Anyone looking for other players for their party when FFCC: EoT releases next week?

I'm an available party member. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
Ha! GB Super Mario Land! That was almost a waste of money! Family played it during a long x-country drive to Florida. It was so short, and having not much other games, we just resorted to see who could beat it fastest. God, that was a looooong drive; y'know how many times we had to play that game?! Laughing

NES TMNT was really hard though. IIRC, just gave up on it. Kinda reminds me of Duck Tales, Battletoads, and X-Com... But many old games are merciless like that - they have to keep you busy for a long, long while because their next new games just comes out in a blue moon. (Plus the games have memory limitations that they can't be bothered to make sure it plays more fair.)

Though for the NES Little Mermaid game, they should've just read Nintendo Power. Laughing
(That reminds me, where's my old stack of 'em...? And Ariel is MILF!!!)

And I could understand about losing saved games. Some SNES games do that if ya just happen to shake the cartridge while playing (FFII, I'm looking at you - that after I figured out the formula to max out everyone's stats - the max level increase is always a factor of 6 y'see, so I separately levelled up everyone like that, for each stat... then lost everything... stupid cartridge!).

The other time I lost save games I was cheating, y'see, with NES Game Action Replay. Same deal: if the cartridge shakes even just a little bit while playing, then whoosh gone with the wind. Laughing
scrapps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I actually saw a commercial for Professor Layton the other day. I don't remember what channel it was, but it was probably Food Network or HGTV or something my mother watches that I don't. Anyway, I got all excited at first thinking maybe a new game was coming out, but no, it was for the first one. Isn't it a bit too late for something like that? Anyway, if they have enough money laying around for commercials, you'd think they could localize one of the other games. x.x

I think I've seen the commercial you're talking about, the one with Lisa Kudrow? Nintendo has been doing a few with her that I guess are supposed to target adults. They aren't necessarily for the games they show, but to show adults that it's not all kids games. I know I've seen one with a cooking game and I think one of the brain age games.

Though maybe this will get more people interested in Prof Layton games and they may bring the others over! Maybe.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Dammit Nintendo, give us more Layton instead of those countless brain training games.

Hopefully fans won't have to spend seventeen years and counting waiting for Mother Three. If Mother Three look as fun and enjoyable as the the first Earthbound, I'd wonder why I am still waiting for almost two decades for a game that most likely won't ever come out.

I heard Professor Layton is getting a anime adaptation and possibly a movie as well. I am not sure what Nintendo is thinking by waiting years to license games that might actually sell well. But I suppose timesi have changed since the early 90's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2