• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer Linebarrels of Iron, Strike Witches

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I know a bunch of pedophiles are jumping for joy right now. Anyway congrats for the people who liked these shows.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I know a bunch of pedophiles are jumping for joy right now.

And here we goooooo!
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
> Funimation to offer Strike Witches

that's it, funimation is dead to me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Strike Witches... oh dear.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I know a bunch of pedophiles are jumping for joy right now. Anyway congrats for the people who liked these shows.

And clearly you can't enjoy the show without being a pedophile Rolling Eyes Anyway, here's my concern:

Quote:
...and Strike Witches lolicon science fiction anime.

Even if it's tagged as such in the encyclopedia, (along with Shana and Manabi straight, obviously not lolicon shows) it really shouldn't be included in the news article. It's one thing for editorials and reviewers, but now actual NEWS on this site is starting to throw the term around?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

And clearly you can't enjoy the show without being a pedophile Rolling Eyes Anyway, here's my concern:

Quote:
...and Strike Witches lolicon science fiction anime.

Even if it's tagged as such in the encyclopedia, (along with Shana and Manabi straight, obviously not lolicon shows) it really shouldn't be included in the news article. It's one thing for editorials and reviewers, but now actual NEWS on this site is starting to throw the term around?
Agreed. It's not even lolicon, only one of the characters is flat-chested. The rest are giant busts... I'm pretty sured I error reported it awhile ago...but I guess not enough people did. THe source is hilarious "Well it just saw episode 01, and just watching all the time underaged little girls is most enough to call this anime a pure and straight lolicon anime."

IMO, for it to be a real "lolicon" anime it would require a lot of flatchests and focus on them. Which this doesnt have.. It focues on pantyshots and cleavage. Also thought most the girls were like 15-20....I wouldn't concider that loli even if they were flatchested...they'd have to be younger than that.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Now I get to see what the big commotion is about concerning this series Strike Witches.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The only other thing I've heard about Strike Witches, besides all the "pantsu" is how much character development goes on within the show. It sounds like if you can get beyond the "pantsu" you actually have a show that can attract your attention with some effective storytelling. (I have not seen the show, so maybe someone else can confirm or deny this.)

But for most people, it'll be about the "pantsu", because, you know, anime is just made to show "pantsu", and all of us anime viewers just watch it for the "pantsu". Rolling Eyes

/end of "pantsu" rant
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
And clearly you can't enjoy the show without being a pedophile Rolling Eyes

And clearly you can't take a joke. I'll leave it up to individual viewers if they think the character's are lolis or not.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/StrikeWitchesCast1.JPG
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I've puzzled over the "Strike Witches is lolicon anime" meme before.

As far I can tell, it's just because of the reduced-height art style. You can find some people calling Lucky Star "lolicon anime," too, so I imagine it's the same deal. It does feel odd to hear it called that if you know the characters.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
The only other thing I've heard about Strike Witches, besides all the "pantsu" is how much character development goes on within the show. It sounds like if you can get beyond the "pantsu" you actually have a show that can attract your attention with some effective storytelling. (I have not seen the show, so maybe someone else can confirm or deny this.)

Just my opinions here...

I say this having seen the show in its entirety myself. A lot of people write the show off based on just what others are saying. Others write it off having seen a bit of it. The first 90 seconds of the show contains 17 panty shots. Yes, I counted them as I was writing an article on the series. That's....just a bit absurd and a few of the shots are more detailed than they really needed to be. After this, other than the full on panties episode, the fanservice isn't exactly tame, but it's not too much beyond mild. Bare breasts and the like pop out on occasion, but I only saw that happen on characters who were identified to be 18 or so.

As for character development and character storylines, they're all fairly throw-away one-off episodes and only a few of them really leaving much of an impression. The "meat and potatoes" of the show's storyline is as generic military as you could find in just about any 80's military-themed/sci-fi action-fest. There are a few good moments here and there, but for the most part it's all predictable and run of the mill.

Breaking it all down, it's a fairly average and unimpressive show that gets a lot of hub-bub blown about it that's really not all that worth it.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!

STRIKE WITCHES ON R1 DVD HOLY fudge YES I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG.

キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!

That said, ANN's tagging of Strike Witches as a "lolicon" anime is completely out of line and inappropriate. Never mind the fact that the most fanservicey character, Charlotte Yeager, is far out of the loli range and has huge, bulging breasts.

Also, it's not science fiction, it's "alternate history".

Edit: Btw, I noticed that on Funimation's official site they have "protect" misspelled as "protet." They should fix that.

Last edited by einhorn303 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
That's...er..."good"....I guess? For Strike Witches seeing as Crunchyroll did a "TV" system on that one (and they haven't since so that speaks volumes of how that went for them).

LOI I heard is trash and got as close to the manga as toei did with Sailor Moon.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:

Just my opinions here...

Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I really would like to hear what people think of the show, as far is the effectiveness of the plot is concerned, is it a compelling story, etc.

And what about Linebarrels of Iron? Besides that you can already watch it on Crunchyroll. Any vibes, good or bad for that one?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
That's it they're going to come for us all. " Wait no Lucky Star doesn't have any naked little girls" "Come with us please"
I mean I doubt we're getting the censored tv version.
I did try and watch the show so I'm not just jumping on a bandwagon.
As far as character development goes maybe it has a lot compared to other shows of this type and the standards are lower do to it being panstu? Seems pretty generic to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 23