• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
We'll miss you next week, but break a leg!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?"

"It's over nine thousaaaaaand!!!!!!!!!"

"What!!! Nine thousand?!!!"

Well, you asked for it. I'll admit that it being an infamous Internet meme does help quite a bit.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I love Detective Conan because, while I'm completely uninterested in seeing whether or not Shinichi ever returns to his original form, it's fun to watch him solve various grizzly murders. It's one of those shows I'd like to marathon as much as possible.

I'm also glad to see Brian sing the praises of Wings of the Honneamise. It's a very underrated classic. It's so remarkable, I too wish that there was an affordable release. I still have my dub VHS of it, though, and while the dub isn't great, it's tolerable for the couple of hours it lasts.

I can't think of any particular anime scene I know line-by-line off the top of my head. Maybe the beginning of the church scene in the fifth episode of Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Somebody will be filling in for him. Hmm...
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
I'm confused about the guy who said that Now and Then, Here and There has an "extreme happy ending." There seemed to be a few typos in the reply, but I think Josh was getting at that he likes a show where it seems like everything and everyone is horrible at first, but the ending shows that's not actually the case, and things end happily.

But even so, Now and Then, Here and There doesn't fit, in my mind. I can't imagine how anyone can consider that ending more than bittersweet at best. Though I suppose considering what led up to it, the ending being anything other than utterly sad and depressing in all aspects is a bit of a relief.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm also glad to see Brian sing the praises of Wings of the Honneamise. It's a very underrated classic. It's so remarkable, I too wish that there was an affordable release. I still have my dub VHS of it, though, and while the dub isn't great, it's tolerable for the couple of hours it lasts.

QFT.

Why oh why did Ca$h $uck Vi$ual U$A have to charge an arm and a leg for their release of Honneamise?

At least I managed to find a used copy of Manga Entertainment's release on eBay for cheap. Better than plunking down an arm, a let, or even your firstborn for Ca$h $uck Vi$ual's release. (And I don't even see the point of having to also buy the Blu-Ray disc that's bundled in when most of us still don't have Blu-Ray decks, or when any of us just want the DVD by itself!)
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
With dragon ball: evolution and dragon ball kai in the air, how can i not remember my childhood quotes?

"I am the hope of the Universe. I am the answer to all living things who cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth... ally to good, nightmare to you!"
(Goku)
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
@Answerfan question:
Does... it have to be a specific moment from an anime or can it be a specific part of an opening I remember?

For an anime, the one that's stuck with me recently was from episode... 18 of Clannad After Story~, spoiler[the scene which occurs on the train. I can't remember it word for word, but I do remember the phrase for the most part, when Ushio said:

"Akii told me there are two places I can go cry, in the bathroom... And in papa's arms."

I... can't recite it directly but... I remember the imagery for that specific moment. Both Ushio and Tomoya begin to cry, it's really the 'most' powerful scene in the entire season.]

Other than that, I can recite the entire opening chorus/verse to Tori no Uta... OP to Air of course.

It would be meaningless to type it out but I literally can remember it off the top of my head.

Other than that... Lemme think...

Nope, it's all mostly mental imagery. Lots of significant moments, from the conclusion to the first question arc of Higurash. So violent, confusing, disturbing and shocking of course.

I can't be bothered to remember lines from anime. Lines from recent Nostalgia Critic videos however, is a whole nother' story. Razz
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
Years ago I watched some old Transformer episodes with some friends. They looked strangely familiar, I knew I had seem them before. The I remembered and started quoting the Dutch subtitles. My friends were impressed, or weirded out, or both. However, I can't do things like that without a trigger.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
grave_digger18 wrote:
With dragon ball: evolution and dragon ball kai in the air, how can i not remember my childhood quotes?

"I am the hope of the Universe. I am the answer to all living things who cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth... ally to good, nightmare to you!"
(Goku)

For some reason, the old Toonami commercials are the only things coming to mind in terms of quotes - where they'd mix audio and visual from the various series they were airing. But I suppose they don't count for specific scenes.

And yeah, I'm with you on Detective Conan, Answerman. It's a simplistic and odd episodic series that somehow works. Perhaps they put something in the video feed to shut down the logical part of our brains.
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Has Lianna watched Princess Tutu yet? God-tier Magical Girl anime.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd love to finish Case Closed. I was only able to watch fifty episodes via television. I found the anime much more interesting than the manga, but the manga has its merits as well. Hopefully Netflix will one day get the complete series.

Best wishes to your performance Brian, I am sure you'll do well.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
haha! this week's answefan is fun. I have one from sailor moon which I’ll never forget, and still cracks me up every time. It's from the episode where they all go to this party and Usagi is all excited about it, but has to speak 'French' (in the dub) "It's a romantic evening with Darian! ...speaking French :/"

Also the scene where Haruka is first introduced and kicks Minako's but at the racing game Anime hyper!!!
frodonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
hey nobody puts the word "nonsense" after star trek! Laughing

as for next weeks question, i can recall many things that might fit into that category, some of the more recent ones are:

puhi! (clannad)
uguu (Kanon)
gao (Air)
kupo (moogle)
~dearimasu (wilhelmina from shakugan no shana)
pupupupupu (mokona)
pikachu pika pika pii/ original opening song Very Happy

and of course: chiiiiii

and speaking of detective conan: there is only one truth! or something like that

and speaking of hentai: yamete! yamete!

the only thing i can remember about now and then here and there was that the boy kept running and shouting the name of lalaru over and over again every other episode Very Happy

Quote:
Other than that, I can recite the entire opening chorus/verse to Tori no Uta... OP to Air of course.

I can do both the full version and the tv sized one, and i can do the same with the farewell song, can't type them down though Razz

Quote:
I have one from sailor moon which I’ll never forget, and still cracks me up every time. It's from the episode where they all go to this party and Usagi is all excited about it, but has to speak 'French' (in the dub) "It's a romantic evening with Darian! ...speaking French :/"

i have one from sailormoon too, although its in our native language, its literal translation to english would be "i will punish you in the name of the moon" Very Happy

ok i'll stop now Embarassed
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Yu Yu Hakusho was my first love, and I watched it a million times with and without friends. So I have a lot of quotes and a lot of scenes from that show down to a science. I'm always squirming before the big parts thinking, "Ah! S/he's going to love this next line!" Such a dork, I am.

I'm a sucker for the magical transformation trope as well. I love the variety people come up with to try and make it "new" as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4