• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How big is your anime DVD backlog (if you have one)?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I wish I understood how my mind works better than I currently do. For example, why on Earth would anybody continue to buy anime titles when he or she already has a whole bunch of unwatched stuff? Isn't it much more rational to buy a certain amount, watch it and then buy more once you're finished?

And yet that is not the situation I find myself in. I own literally hundreds of hours of unwatched anime and I'm still buying the stuff. So I've posed the question in the title in an effort to see how many other freaks like me are out there.

What I'd like to know is:

1) How many anime titles do you own?

2) How many have you watched completely?

3) How many are in some stage of being watched?

This information will help determine your Anime Backlog # (and how much of a freak you are).

So for example, I currently own 75 anime titles that break down like this:

1) 65 anime TV series - 10 anime movies

2) Have watched in full: 13 anime TV series - 3 anime movies

3) Am watching 5 series at various stages.

So my Anime Backlog # is...

75 titles owned
16 titles fully watched
5 titles being watched

= Anime Backlog # of 54.

Naturally, you can calculate your own AB# anyway you like, but in my case, I don't keep track of individual volumes. So even though my Heat Guy J collection is made up of 7 singles, I only count it as 1 title.

Please tell me there are other people as pathetic as me out there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
My (DVD) backlog is slowly drying up because I've bought all I've wanted to at prices I like, and I've gone through most of my friends stuff. I watch the DVDs at work on a 42 inch Sylvania once a week, and during summer I'll be doing it three times a week, or roughly 6 DVDs. I find have a backlog of downloaded material grows way faster though.

Since you seem to like being organized, I suggest using ANN's or MAL's organizer.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I just counted, I have about 100 titles in my collection. (It scares me to I think how much money I've invested in this hobby. Shocked )

However, I don't have a DVD backlog. Netflix is my friend. I rent everything first, and then I decide whether a title is worth purchasing. It saves me money, and ensures I only add titles to my collection that I enjoy and will watch again.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, Blood. But, it's the system that works best for me and my budget.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
How many titles? Well, a lot. A quick series count reveals a number of 90 series and 34 movies/oavs.

Out of those, I have seen completely: 28 series and 28 oavs.

Out of the remainder I have seen at least one disc of 10 series.

So there is a serious disconnect between what I own and what I have seen. "Why?" Because at heart I am both a collector and a deal-finder. So TRSI weekly specials are really hard for me to pass up. Ebay searching is really hard for me to avoid. Etc, and so forth. Combine that with really limited time during a college semester and BACKLOG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For example, why on Earth would anybody continue to buy anime titles when he or she already has a whole bunch of unwatched stuff?

Same reason I continue to buy games even though many are not finished. It's based on the foundation that, at some point, we'll get to it.

Quote:
Isn't it much more rational to buy a certain amount, watch it and then buy more once you're finished?

And miss the deals?
*SLAP*
Wink

Quote:
I own literally hundreds of hours of unwatched anime and I'm still buying the stuff.

Why waste it? I'll be more than happy to supply you with my address so you can ship it to me. Heck, I'll even cover the shipping charges.
Wink

Quote:
1) How many anime titles do you own?

I'll update as soon as my latest order arrives. I lost count again.

Quote:
2) How many have you watched completely?

All but 3: Rumbling Hearts, Divergence Eve (and this may never happen as I can't seem to focus clearly on the entire show for some reason Rolling Eyes), and Noein.

Quote:
3) How many are in some stage of being watched?

Proudly, none.

Quote:
This information will help determine your Anime Backlog # (and how much of a freak you are).

Yeah! I'm not a freak! Well, okay. I am.
Because what I don't make up for in DVDs, my PVC collection does.
Smile

Quote:
So for example, I currently own 75 anime titles that break down like this:

You do the math, please. I don't want to scroll back up (wishes for a larger reply window).

Quote:
Please tell me there are other people as pathetic as me out there.

I'm sure there are. Personally, I hope to be in your position by 12/31/2010.
Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, Blood. But, it's the system that works best for me and my budget.

I admire your rationality, murph. That's how I used to be with my non-anime collection. At one time it was very rare for me to buy the DVD of a movie I hadn't already seen. It's only in the last year or so since Blockbuster has been selling used DVDs for roughly 5 bucks that I have been picking up movies on spec. I have around 700 non-anime movie DVDs and only about 110 are ones I have never seen.

PJ - your selfless offer to help me reduce my backlog is deeply appreciated, dude, but there is no way I could live with the guilt of burdening you in that way. I simply like you too much for that. Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting thread topic, but you should probably keep an eye on it so people don't just post their AB# and that's it.

I'll be able to answer this fully when I'm at home. I'm expecting a horrible number.

What is your definition of backlog though? What if we watched a series, say, fansubbed, and then bought it, but haven't opened it yet. Does that count as a backlog title?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll post my count at home since I roughly know the number of titles I own at 70 which accounts to roughly 60 TV shows and OVA's and 10 movies. I don't remember how many I haven't seen and what I am working on, since there are some stuff that I bought but haven't touched yet.

It would see easier for me to buy more DVD's once I finish what I have, but since I only been collecting anime more than just now and then since last year there are a lot of shows that I enjoyed so I have to track the volumes that are harder to find since most of them are OOP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
What is your definition of backlog though? What if we watched a series, say, fansubbed, and then bought it, but haven't opened it yet. Does that count as a backlog title?

I would say no. I'm only trying to figure out titles that are completely unwatched in any form by the DVD purchaser. I mean, I understand the mind of a collector and I understand wanting to capitalize on a good deal, but at a certain point having too big of a backlog of totally virgin titles seems a little...insane.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

I would say no. I'm only trying to figure out titles that are completely unwatched in any form by the DVD purchaser. I mean, I understand the mind of a collector and I understand wanting to capitalize on a good deal, but at a certain point having too big of a backlog of totally virgin titles seems a little...insane.

That does seem insane, but it's really on how you get that backlog worked on it what can be great of frustrating at times. Right now the only series that going to take me a long time to finish completely is Dragon Ball Z since I have all of the Season Box sets that are currently released (the most recent box sets) What I usually do is find show that don't have a lot of sign subs and watch them during the week my dad is home since I have to watch those DVD's out in my mom's room and her DVD player wipes out the subs for a bit if you pause so I have to keep backtracking to see what something said if I missed it the first time. Then once my dad does work then I usually watch either what I am currently watching at the moment or start something different that may be sign heavy or listen to something in the Japanese dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I can never seem to get ahead of my backlog. When I'm looking at anime DVDs to buy I'm like a cat with something shiny. I see it and I just can't leave it alone.

Here is my collection, and here are my backlog titles.

This is actually the best it has been in a long time, as I have been pretty good about not buying much lately. The thing that really put me behind were the RightStuf 25 discs for $100 sales a while ago. I still have stuff from those that I haven't watched like Yugo the Negotiator. I recently joined Netflix too, so I may never get caught up now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The thing that really put me behind were the RightStuf 25 discs for $100 sales a while ago.

25 DISCS FOR $100?????

*faints*

Damn, I am very sorry I missed that one.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
The thing that really put me behind were the RightStuf 25 discs for $100 sales a while ago.

25 DISCS FOR $100?????

*faints*

Damn, I am very sorry I missed that one.

Well, if it makes you feel better, sales such as that usually indicate that a company is going through rough times. Geneon was the first of such sales and then ADV, both of which are having some issues.

On the other hand, that's also part of the reason my backlog is as bad as it is. I'll post the numbers once I finish my last few minutes of work out/cool down (catching my breath for the moment).
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
In terms of my physical DVDs, I actually have very few things on backlog, you can access my collection (I'll update it after this) from the bottom of my post.
My DVD backlog is basically just: Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.
I'm pretty good about watching things that I buy for the most part. My manga backlog is pretty much nonexistent, I've read pretty much everything in my list.
I do have a sizable list of things that I should probably get around to seeing on my ever fluctuating "want to watch" list, the two that are currently being seen are Photon because a friend recommended it (it's 6 episodes and I'm being slow, but i'll probably finish that tonight since I plan to skip class and claim"swine flu scare") and Neon Genesis Evangelion because I am sick of not getting refrences to the series.

Now, my games on the other hand...I'm pretty bad at that, that backlog is getting out of control.

I have tons of stuff in the "barely started/played" category, these are: Assassin's Creed, Bonk's Revenge, Broken Sword, Dark Cloud 2, Daxter, Dragon Warrior 1 &2, Dragon Warrior 3, Dragon Warrior Monster, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Gitaroo Man, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Golden Sun, Grand Theft auto 4, Gunstar Super Heroes, ICO, Jeanne d'Arc, Kid Icharus: Oh Myths and Monsters, Luigi's Mansion, Magic Pengel, Metal Arms, Metroid Prime 2, Mischief Makers, Odin Sphere, Paper Mario 2, Primal, Prince of Persia 3, Rogue Galaxy, Rygar 1, Skies of Arcadia: Legends, and Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis.

And then plenty more in the "to finish" category, which are: Advance Wars 2, DS, and Days of Ruin, Alundra, Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest 4, Dragon Warrior 7, Dragon Quest Monster Joker, Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, Drill Dozer, Final Fantasy 9, Kameo, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Zelda: Oracles (both), Zelda: Link's Awakening, Magi Nation, Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga & Partners in Time, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, Pikmin 2, Rebelstar: Tactical Command, Riviera: The Promised Land, Steambot Chronicles, Super Mario Sunshine, Tales of Legendia, Wild Arms 3, and Zack & Wiki.

Curse you, cheap used game sales for getting the best of me! I've sampled them all enough to make sure I'll want to play it at some time in the future basically. Hopefully, as I say every summer, I'll manage to bite into the backlog without adding more to it like I actually do.

So I know what having a backlog and a half backlog is like, even if it's in a different media. It makes me feel bad.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well thankfully mine is pretty easy to figure out. The MyAnime link is a listing of only the titles I actually own and have seen fully. I keep this update.

So running those numbers I get...

TV - 76
OAV - 18
Movies - 17

My backlog consists of 16 TV series, 2 OAV's, 3 movies. The backlog will increase by 4 TV series as I have some releases coming in the month of May pre-ordered. From there, I am doing a bit of a hold on DVD purchases due to not wanting to completely break my budget heh.

EDIT: Just noticed I had 2 movies put in with my TV count. Fixed.

Last edited by Jinxso on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4