• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isshoni Training Anime Planned, Written, Funded by 1 Man

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, didn't know one man made it.

My understanding is the reason it is selling so well is it:

1) Went viral, for lack of better words.
2) Sells for very cheap for an anime DVD (about $20 US).
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Cheap, hyped and original. What more can a solo producer AND a fanservice fan wish for?... Laughing

ps: you also gotta love some fan reactions..Anime hyper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNBMEenPgBc
crm2790

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Very interesting that only one man made it. I guess no one expected that it would be so popular.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
I think we are well aware of why some people watch this anime Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I don't know why, but for some reason I thought when reading the story they might play this straight. I assure all curious readers out there, you won't be watching to exercise. This is a fan service play.

We have all these Wii health games now, most of which are fairly ugly on the eyes. I've been thinking for a long time now it'd be interesting to have a exercise/aerobics game that is visually appealing (less pervy Dead or Alive-esque visuals), yet actually intended to be a serious workout program. Wii Fit I can forgive. That is "Stylized" and intended. Some of the other new workout/health games are really just unattractive.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Wow, didn't know one man made it.

My understanding is the reason it is selling so well is it:

1) Went viral, for lack of better words.
2) Sells for very cheap for an anime DVD (about $20 US).

Of course what you don't realize is that it's actually only 5 minutes long, including and "ending" credit role, and then the "episode" repeats almost identically (the very first 30 seconds changes).

So it's $20 for a 5 minute DVD. The special features involving the main character doing the routine in different fetish clothing might be worth it to some people, I suppose.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Of course what you don't realize is that it's actually only 5 minutes long, including and "ending" credit role, and then the "episode" repeats almost identically (the very first 30 seconds changes).

So it's $20 for a 5 minute DVD. The special features involving the main character doing the routine in different fetish clothing might be worth it to some people, I suppose.

Might be? How about is?
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
The guy is making crazy profits since he made the whole thing by himself.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else aware of the unintentional hilarity of this article coming right after the news of that feminist manga author's death?

... I found it morbidly funny.

On a lighter note, at least the girl is cute!! I kinda want to see those alternate outfits lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Japan has work out videos like this, we have Richard Simmons. No wonder we're the most overweight country!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Alright another unique DVD coming my way soon via Amazon Japan... I might as well get the K-ON CDs while I am at it too...
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know what's more impressive.:One man having planned, written and funded this whole fanservice fest of an OAV or the seven Key-animators and 24 Inbetweeneers who were responsible for the mere 5 minutes of animation (let's not count the animation loops here) Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hey, it's Anime version of "Abs of Steel"! I can't wait to see before and after photos are an otaku who used this video to get fit.
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
We have all these Wii health games now, most of which are fairly ugly on the eyes. I've been thinking for a long time now it'd be interesting to have a exercise/aerobics game that is visually appealing (less pervy Dead or Alive-esque visuals), yet actually intended to be a serious workout program.

You mean something like Yourself Fitness, which was actually released several years ago for PS2, Xbox (original, NOT the 360) and PCs. This fitness game featured a virtual personal trainer named Maya, so one could suppose this game is easier on the eyes than most Wii fitness titles, and I'm surprised this hasn't been ported over to the Wii (not the most groundbreaking graphics, as the systems for which it was made clearly indicate, so this wouldn't be a chore). But its intention was clearly not the fanservice fest that this anime is.

Last edited by nagato316 on Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2