• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Much like I, as a half Asian, must hunt white people.

I knew it!

Yeah this looks rather amazingly bad I really want to find an old VHS tape of this in a bargain bin somewhere.

Great article!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Be advised that dangerous [most dangerous...] malcontents have captured this VHS tape and preserved it digitally for all eternity so that Dracula may spring forth at any point at an anime convention near YOU. So watch yourself at those things, lest you too wonder why Boston looks like London circa Jack the Ripper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I still blame you for making me watch Arcade Gamer Fubiki.

This actually sounds interesting in the so bad it is good category, as opposed to Fubiki which strove for that point but failed on every level.

Can't anyone make a so bad it is good anime post 1998? (besides Shuffle?)
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
After looking it up on Wikipedia, apparently this is based on the same comic book series that Blade came from (as in the character played by Wesley Snipes).
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Tomb of Dracula was one of my favorite comics in the 70s. It was so much fun in a time of superheroes to have an antihero, one of the few I can remember existing in mainstream comics then (and it's sister comic, the black and white Dracula Lives!, primed me for a love of manga 20 years later).

This movie however, something I rented when it came out, was so stunningly bad that I assumed those who made it couldn't read English, and just made up the story as they went. I still half-suspect that's true.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So he strips Dracula of his Vampire powers, and Dracula is reduced to being the weirdo in a cape sitting in the corner at a New York City diner eating a burger. The film makes a halfhearted effort to wrap up the story in a climactic way, but I would have been much more satisfied if it ended here.

I couldn't agree more... Just look at him looking at that burger, he puts the Burger King Guy to shame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
It's BBFC not BBFA.

BBFA are the Brecon Beacons Farmhouse Accommodation, who have always been perfectly happy with people seeing nunchucks.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
After looking it up on Wikipedia, apparently this is based on the same comic book series that Blade came from (as in the character played by Wesley Snipes).

Yes, Blade did make his first appearance in Tomb of Dracula in the early 70s. He was in for a full series of issues IIRC (what would be a GN volume or two today). He was the first black superhero I'd seen, aside from Luke Cage.

Thank God they didn't put him into this movie. I can only imagine what they would have done to him.

I need to go dig out my old comics...
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
Tomb of Dracula is easily one of the greatest comics of the 70s. This movie just sounds bizarre in how it came about.

But, if you're a fan of horror comics, you can do a lot worse then classic Tomb of Dracula.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
This is just one of amazing things I've ever watched. I'm not sure what the staff were thinking when they made this. It's utterly unintentionally hilarious. First time I watched it, I was like "surely this can't get any worse", then it does. Again and again. Vampire sniffing dogs with crucifixes, wheelchair martial arts, Dracula mugging a couple in order to buy hamburgers because Satan turned him into a mortal, god resurrecting Dracula's dead child and transforming him into some sort of weird red-eyed superhero in order to kill him. Just amazing.

Toei did adapt a few other Marvel franchises in the late 1970's and early 1980's; the infamous live action Spiderman in 1978, the sentai show Battle Fever J was based very loosely on Captain America and Toei produced another anime TV special which only had vague references to the Monster Of Frankenstein comic.
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
LMAO! We watched this at Anime Boston at the 'Bad Anime' panel just two weeks ago. Trust me, it was baaaad. If you feel the need to watch it, make sure you have friends and a color commentator, because you'll need one!
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
This is just one of amazing things I've ever watched. I'm not sure what the staff were thinking when they made this. It's utterly unintentionally hilarious. First time I watched it, I was like "surely this can't get any worse", then it does. Again and again. Vampire sniffing dogs with crucifixes, wheelchair martial arts, Dracula mugging a couple in order to buy hamburgers because Satan turned him into a mortal, god resurrecting Dracula's dead child and transforming him into some sort of weird red-eyed superhero in order to kill him. Just amazing.

Toei did adapt a few other Marvel franchises in the late 1970's and early 1980's; the infamous live action Spiderman in 1978, the sentai show Battle Fever J was based very loosely on Captain America and Toei produced another anime TV special which only had vague references to the Monster Of Frankenstein comic.

Wow...this sounds...howlingly bad! I'll bet I would laugh my butt off watching this ridiculousness!

My suggestion for BG - July: Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gotaman R!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
Now I really want to see this. This seems like it would make Cyber City Oedo seem normal. I've saved the screen cap of Dracula eating a burger in case I ever need cheering up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
Oh this little piece of forgotten rubbish ...

You want to see clips of it?
(Thanks to Anime Bargain Bin for uploading these)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfdvfmepbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRttylhhoo

Ha ha ha one mistake I ever looked at ^^;

One of those things I will never forgive ...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
Good article; reminds me of that shoddy "animation" video they played in the fifth grade where the other monsters warn Dracula about the risk of Aids.

Hey, will you do an article for that one adaptation they did with Starship Troopers? Or did you already?

Pretty much the only one that even had power armor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4