• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Studio Co-Founder Maruyama Returns to Otakon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The sheer number of projects this chap has been involved in will certainly attract numbers at this convention. I'd fathom quite a lot of us have benefited from this man's efforts over the years. I certainly have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
There are many reasons we bring him back so often.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:

I'm betting the tally will be over 30,000 people will come for Otakon and beat Anime Expo.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The sheer number of projects this chap has been involved in will certainly attract numbers at this convention. I'd fathom quite a lot of us have benefited from this man's efforts over the years. I certainly have.

If only that were true, I got see this guy every year that he is at Otakon, and most years there is only 20 to 50 people for his panel. The year I remember with the most people was the year he was there with the Director of Trigun. That panel had a good showing but you can guess why people where there. He is totally worth seeing though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
You guys should read these quotes on Maruyama. I got it from Anipage Daily

Peter Chung wrote:
My friend, Masao Maruyama, head of Madhouse, the producer of Tokyo Godfathers, Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo, Denno Coil, Kemonozume, Metropolis, Vampire Hunter D, Manie-Manie, is the most tireless promoter of Japanese animation I've ever met. His all-time favorite animated movie is Lilo and Stich.

Peter Chung wrote:
I asked Mr. Maruyama the question of how Madhouse was able to produce so many projects every year, considering how unconventional (I didn't say uncommercial, but he got my meaning, I think) some of them are. He had a sheepish smile and confessed that when very talented people like Yuasa (or Hosoda or Kon) have projects they want to make, he simply can't refuse to accommodate them. For him, I've always felt that it was not money, prestige, popularity, or even the films themselves that drives his efforts. He loves working with talented artists. He respects them, and in turn, they will walk on hot coals not to let him down.

It's not a matter of "spare money lying around". When a director and a team of artists say they are willing to work long hours to make a personal project for a low budget, a producer can see that either as a business risk, or as great value for the amount spent. (How do you attach a price tag on creativity?) What do producers produce? There are producers I've met who thought the job of a producer was to produce money. That the films are just the means to achieve that goal. Others, like Maruyama, never forget that it is the other way around.

Any talented artists & directors out there?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, so this is the guy responsible for Yuasa's creations (Kaiba, Mind Game, Kemonozume) able to be done by Studio Madhouse?

I'm really grateful, as all three were wonderful and helped me realize just why I like the anime medium so much.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:

I'm betting the tally will be over 30,000 people will come for Otakon and beat Anime Expo.

Probably not. Not saying they can't bring in over 30,000 people for Otakon, although I doubt it, but Anime Expo was 43,000 last year. So, unless Otakon has some amazing growth and goes from the 26,000 they had last year to over 40,000 this year, it ain't happening.

But, I'm really looking forward to this. The guests are fantastic and it's looking like I picked a good year to go to my first Otakon.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
jvowles wrote:

1. I'd be surprised if that happens -- and if it does, it's unlikely to be due to Maruyama-san. He's awesome, but he is our most frequent guest, and almost half of his US appearances have been at Otakon.

2. We won't fit 30,000 people in that building.

3. We have, these days, more of a friendly rivalry with AX's leadership, and quite a few staff in common. It's not like we'd want to compete in attendance, anyway; LA has 3.6 million people to the combined Baltimore DC area's 1.4 million.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh wow, so this is the guy responsible for Yuasa's creations (Kaiba, Mind Game, Kemonozume) able to be done by Studio Madhouse?

Only Kemonozume and Kaiba. Mind Game is Studio 4C production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1