• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AT&T Blocking Part of 4chan, Then Restores Access

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yivyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Contented deleted at request of user. -TK]
Zipper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2009-July/012182.html

And here's your reason why. Should have been wondering why the site was faster and more stable in the last few days.
Egret

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Some of the rowdier 4chan denizens sometimes drive me nuts, but I don't like the idea of censorship on the internet. At all. :/
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
If only they could find away from rooting out and destroying /b/ memes before they infect the rest of the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zipper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If only they could find away from rooting out and destroying /b/ memes before they infect the rest of the internet.

It already infected the rest of the internet a long time ago.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2009-July/012182.html

And here's your reason why. Should have been wondering why the site was faster and more stable in the last few days.

So people are attacking 4chan, so we're going to shut 4chan down. Yeah, that's fair and makes sense...
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
So people are attacking 4chan, so we're going to shut 4chan down. Yeah, that's fair and makes sense...

No.
Said attacks were buggering up the networks they were going through. The admins blocked traffic going that way (ie, resolving to img.4chan.org, aka /b/s address) to allow legit traffic any amount of bandwidth.

There is no censorship issue with this. At all.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

We should hope, at least. I don't like /b/, but the idea of our ISPs dictating what consenting adults are and are not allowed to view online downright terrifies me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Calculusman wrote:

No.
Said attacks were buggering up the networks they were going through. The admins blocked traffic going that way (ie, resolving to img.4chan.org, aka /b/s address) to allow legit traffic any amount of bandwidth.

Other than the fact that they're completely blocking the site...
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:

For technical reasons.
If this were censorship reasons, then the entire domain of 4chan.org would be blocked, but that's not the case. Only img.4chan.org is blocked -- the main target of the DDoS -- but zip, orz and cgi are all still accessable.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Calculusman wrote:

For technical reasons.
If this were censorship reasons, then the entire domain of 4chan.org would be blocked, but that's not the case. Only img.4chan.org is blocked -- the main target of the DDoS -- but zip, orz and cgi are all still accessable.

I wonder what sites could be next to get blocked because they're receiving "too much traffic"...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Now more than ever:

http://www.savetheinternet.com/
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
I wonder what sites could be next to get blocked because they're receiving "too much traffic"...

It's not the amount of traffic a site gets, it's the sheer spike in bandwidth that gets routed through a certain bit of hardware.

This is how the Internet works, signals get bounced around a lot of network hardware to go from point A to point B. And network hardware can only offer up a finite amount of data transfer at any given time. When you get script kiddies hammering a site en mass, it makes trouble for every other bit of traffic that gets routed that way.

Really, take off the tinfoil hat.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Calculusman wrote:

It's not the amount of traffic a site gets, it's the sheer spike in bandwidth that gets routed through a certain bit of hardware.

This is how the Internet works, signals get bounced around a lot of network hardware to go from point A to point B. And network hardware can only offer up a finite amount of data transfer at any given time. When you get script kiddies hammering a site en mass, it makes trouble for every other bit of traffic that gets routed that way.

Really, take off the tinfoil hat.

I know how the internet works. AT&T is just being lazy by blocking the target of a DDoS attack, to say nothing about it creating an incentive for people to create even more devastating DDoS attacks since they know that ISPs might cut access to the site altogether if they do, doing their work for them.

And the fact that they blocked the friggen site. Doing that for any reason (other than blatant illegal behavior by the site being blocked) is a bad precedent, and even then I'm iffy about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6