• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Anime Suggestion List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
I don't think ANN would adapt the "fansub-friendly" details found on MAL, but some features might be worthwhile. I kind of like the "outdated" simplicity found here, though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
I would like the ability to list anime under their alternate titles (i.e., not some of the official (stupid) English names like "Samurai X," "Fighting Spirit," etc.).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Denied: [Rage Demon] Show Number of items contained in Public Lists / Collections
Pulling out this much information for one page really kills the database
I can understand that this would be a database strain, but would it be any easier now that the public list pages are separated alphabetically? Or maybe just put the numbers on key items like "Seen All" and "My Collection," rather than every separate/custom list. I say this because I'm always on the hunt for good lists to link in the Recommendations sticky, and it makes the search easier if I can see, "okay, Diclonius27 has 14 items in Seen All, so I won't check there, but Didaloxx has 413 items."

Also, regarding the "add anime I've seen" via alphabetical list function: Is it possible to add more rows of buttons to allow direct addition to "Want to See" and "Will not Finish"? Currently you can only add "Seen Some" and "Seen All" that way -- to add to "Want to See," you have to either add to an incorrect category and move the titles, or navigate to individual pages. Adding to "Will Not Finish" requires the [add to other category] -> [move] process.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
One quick thing. I love the "sort by comment" option, but it leads me to wonder -- is it possible to implement reverse sorting? Like if you click a column heading once, it sorts that column, and if you click that column again, it reverses the order? This would be useful for:

viewing titles in reverse alphabetical order
viewing ratings from worst to best
viewing comments from the end of the 1st-character sorting list to the beginning. This would be useful for creating Top X lists, as it would display the entries from 20, 19, 18, 17 ... 3, 2, 1 instead of 1, 2, 3...18, 19, 20. Although this could be achieved with "hax," like doing

a #20
b #19
c #18
etc.
BlackOpsNoOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sort by more options than just rating and a more user friendly sorting system. More sorting options could include date added, date created/first run, among others.

Full proposal as seen HERE apparently missed this post when I was perusing previously.
Tarofex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
I have an idea that would make this web site much more lovable. When you look in the "my ANN" tab you can see a list of anime you want to see under "my anime". It would be nice if you could choose to sort the list by their user ratings so you could make a point of seeing the best rated animes on your "want to see" list first.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Something that I would find helpful is a grouping of capsule reviews of currently airing series by the staff (like they don't have enough to do, right?) until enough ratings can be accumulated to make a valid statement about the series in the encyclopedia at which time the capsule review could be removed. I believe periodically you publish first impressions for a few weeks but they don't seem to be archived; even those would be handy. Or, you wouldn't even really need the actual articles just a scoring system based on them - something like the number of staff members who've seen the new series and an average score. For instance currently Kanamemo, which I have found to be an excellent series, has been given 12 ratings certainly not enough to base a judgment on. There are probably other new series out there as good but I don't know about them. This could be corrected by having a source such as a grouping of first impressions
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
I would like to see a date associated with MyAnime entries. Preferably the date they were put into their current category.
It would help when posting updates in the "What are you currently watching" thread if I can check the dates easily. Or sometimes when trying to recall an anime for the guessing games, I'll vaguely remember how long ago I saw something, but no other specifics.

Also, a way to limit an encyclopedia search to the entries in MyAnime.
I now have 174 titles in Seen All, and 99 in Want To See. Having to eyeball search that every time I'm looking for something other than the title or rating is getting kinda bothersome.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I would like the ability to list anime under their alternate titles (i.e., not some of the official (stupid) English names like "Samurai X," "Fighting Spirit," etc.).

I've been wanting this for awhile, as well. As is, I can note a show's original title in my comments section, but it's especially frustrating when I scroll to where a title should be in my list only to remember that alphabetized under a completely different string just because some marketing department decided that U.S. consumers couldn't be bothered with a Japanese title for a *gasp* Japanese program. Anime cry

I imagine it might take a fair bit of recoding, but since I assume these lists exist primarily for personal use, it would be nice if the user could chose from the list of alternate titles (or possibly a list of the verified alternate titles to discourage users from submitting a dozen variants) for his list. That way, folks can choose romanized titles, kanji titles, English titles, Russian titles -- however they personally identify the show.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
There's also series that are split up, because of parts being licensed and parts not.

Examples would be Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni vs. When they Cry - Higurashi, and Weiß Kreuz vs. Knight Hunters. Both have titles that are licensed, and therefore listed by the English title, and titles that aren't, and are listed with the original* title.

*Obviously, it wouldn't necessarily be correct to say "Japanese" title, since Weiß Kreuz is in German, not Japanese.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Higurarshi and Zero no Tsukaima are both big standouts on my list.

I think I may have been overthinking this, BTW. My original though was for users to have some sort of dropdown list or radio button selection of available alternate titles, but it would probably be much easier to allow for customized titles in the list, as can be done in the My Collection list (possibly also add a rename link next to rate and remove in the mouseover script). Each record would also retain a link to the appropriate encyclopedia page.

On the downside, people could have a list full of titles like, "sdfgklhadsgkla," but it's hard to image that such people would care to maintain their lists in the first place. This would also presumably increase the DB size a bit more than a small, extra numerical field.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I think a change where people can separate their different types of media in their seen all section would be great.

For example:
To separate live action from their main seen all list onto a separate seen all list.

Visual Example:

Seen All:
Ai Yori Aoshi Excellent
Ah My Buddha So-So

Seen All (Live Action)
Detroit Metal City So-So

have live action separated onto a separate seen all category.
That was just my example, you could also make it more complex to the point where you can choose what ever you want to seperate. Like movies on one, series on another, live action on yet another, or simply seperate live action from anything anime related.

I understand it could be complex to code something like this, or it would take up more space on the sites database or something, I'm leaving this out here as an idea.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
How about being able to sort by comment (or any field for that matter) in descending order? I preface the comments in all my Seen All anime with "Last Seen: 2011/06/22" so that I can see the anime I've seen in chronological order. As it stands I have to click "Comment" and then scroll to the bottom. The top of the list is populated with anime that I've seen before I started organizing like this.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
How about being able to sort by comment (or any field for that matter) in descending order?

That makes a lot of sense and it's easy enough. Done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
How about being able to sort by comment (or any field for that matter) in descending order?

That makes a lot of sense and it's easy enough. Done.

Thanks for doing that Dan42. Makes things so much easier when I am trying to sort through my watched items list.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3