• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- OAV DVD Listed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, so Funi is releasing the first season on BD? Awesome. I'm not sure if it was ever made/broadcast for HD, but a decent upscale will make it look/sound even more breathtaking. And the second season OAV...haven't seen them, so can't say whether I'm happy (or care for that matter) about them.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
cool more gunslinger girl now all is some one needs to start up the manga again
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping the 2 eppie OVAs would be included in the main Il Teatrino release (much like how the Dead Girls OVA was included in Red Garden, Part 2 or how the Idolo OVA was included in the Zone of the Enders complete collection). Still, I'm glad these are coming out.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first series will be re-issued on Blu-ray Disc on December 1 as well.

>.<, glad i held off on that then, GSG was quality animation (season 1 anyway). Now I just need to get a ps3 by then...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Awesome I'm looking forward to seeing it...well in any form other than raw anyway.

Quote:
....now all is some one needs to start up the manga again

Seconded. Stupid ADV manga's never going to release the rest of it, hopefully somebody better qualified and more responsible picks it up. Evil or Very Mad
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I have Gunslinger Girl Season 1 already. I don't know how much of a difference Blu-Ray makes for Anime. I will buy One Piece Movie 8 on Blu-ray as a test. If I am pleased then I will re buy. I have had the 1st seaon of Gunslinger Girl since January and I have not watched it yet. If I like the Blu-ray then i'll wait to buy Season 2 when the Blu-ray hits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funi would put the Il Teatrino series on IFC and maybe the OVA now that they have it. I don't know I guess you could call it wishful thinking on my part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I was hoping they'd grab these. Way to go Funi! You just keep pleasing the fans these days. Very Happy
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I have Gunslinger Girl Season 1 already. I don't know how much of a difference Blu-Ray makes for Anime. I will buy One Piece Movie 8 on Blu-ray as a test. If I am pleased then I will re buy. I have had the 1st seaon of Gunslinger Girl since January and I have not watched it yet. If I like the Blu-ray then i'll wait to buy Season 2 when the Blu-ray hits.

I actually have the Blu-Ray One Piece movie, and while it wasn't all that great (condensing an almost 30 episode arc into 90 minutes is not a good thing, let me tell you...), it looked amazingly pretty. I actually bought GSG back when it first came out years ago, so I wouldn't mind dropping some money to get it on BD. Just means I can give the boxset I have to my sister, since she really liked it. And maybe Funi will announce whether they have plans to release s2 on BD as well. I'd hate to buy it now and have them release it in HD in the near future.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Teatrino isn't really lauded for its artwork... so I don't think a BD release would be wise.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
The first series will be re-issued on Blu-ray Disc on December 1 as well.

>.<, glad i held off on that then, GSG was quality animation (season 1 anyway). Now I just need to get a ps3 by then...

Megiddo wrote:
Teatrino isn't really lauded for its artwork... so I don't think a BD release would be wise.

Unfortunately, what Megiddo said. Teatrino does pick up towards the end, and despite some awkwardness I thought they did a pretty good job on the climactic battle, but it really doesn't compare to the first series. Haven't seen the OAV episodes.

A HD version of the original series would be great, except that I highly doubt they produced it in HD. I wouldn't be interested in paying extra for an upscale.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

The One Piece movie 8 would not be representative of how GSG would look in BD. The OP movie was produced in HD while I don't think the GSG TV series is, since it certainly did not air in native HD. It's possible to remaster the production into HD, but I highly doubt they would do that.

I suspect it'll look very much like Full Metal Panic BD, just slightly cleaner than upscaling the DVD. I already have the GSG first season DVD, so I think I'll pass on this expected upscale, but will pick up the OVA.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
I forgot to say this.......... What about the School Rumble OVA?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I forgot to say this.......... What about the School Rumble OVA?

Ugh, if you are talking about the SR Third Semester, I say take it out back and bury it. I loved that series but I really loathe how they ending things.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ugh, if you are talking about the SR Third Semester, I say take it out back and bury it. I loved that series but I really loathe how they ending things.

Oh no!!! Don't become one of "those" fans! I beg of you!

Okay, on topic...
At least the price is decent. I was expecting the $40 price tag on these two OAVs.

I agree with Blood regarding their inclusion in season 2. Maybe a special edition re-release?

I didn't even know the second season was available. Blame that one on the bargain bin.
Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2