• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hayate the Combat Butler Sub.DVD Part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
At 175 minutes of running time, there should be only seven episodes in the set. Which, at the price of thirty American dollars all up, is a complete rip-off. Especially given that there is no dub track.

Who would want to buy it who isn't already a big fan? And how much more money must consumers pay to get the large number of remaining episodes? Ouch.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Funny, and funny some more!

I agree with what the first guy said though...

No dual language? Then out the window.

Still... it's funny enough to make it a rental. Hayate is just enjoyment, so even if this section contains "substance", that's probably not what viewers wanted in the first place.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
At 175 minutes of running time, there should be only seven episodes in the set. Which, at the price of thirty American dollars all up, is a complete rip-off. Especially given that there is no dub track.

Who would want to buy it who isn't already a big fan? And how much more money must consumers pay to get the large number of remaining episodes? Ouch.
It beats $30US for 3-4 episodes, doesn't it?
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You'd be surprised. Plenty of people will buy this, epecially older fans who remember the VHS days, or people who still buy singles when available.
Considering that Rightstuf usually has sales on Bandai, it'll probably knock the price down by about $5 or so. Hell, even $30 for 7 episodes doesn't sound that bad to me. Sure beats the VHS days when you were paying anywhere from $30-$45 for two episodes, and your choice of audio track, if a dub was available.
But then again, I just bought all of Gunbuster 2, which, even at half price was $20 for 2 episodes, no dub, and thought I was getting a good deal (it was half price!). Like I said, some fans will pay if they want it badly enough.
Myself personally, I intend to buy this, and Kannagi, blind, at some point, as there have been a a lot of good things said about both series.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Great review, Carl :D Were I not already a Hayate fan I'd be checking it out after reading this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

But like I said, there is no dub. And aren't American DVDs only like US$20-24?

I can get a normal Anime DVD with both dub and sub, and four to five episodes on it, for the equivalent of US$22.30. That's including shipping and handling to New Zealand, and licensing and advertising by Madman. Or does Madman make their own DVDs? There is also the fact that seven episodes represents a small bulk-buy, so the price should be lower.

Anyway, the price per episode in this set of Hayate the Combat Butler is cheaper than what I usually pay for Anime. But that's exactly what you would expect, given that this is being sold in America and not New Zealand. And the price per episode simply isn't cheap enough to reflect that.

I shouldn't have used the term "complete rip-off". But consumers are still paying significantly more than they should be, given all the factors involved.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

But like I said, there is no dub. And aren't American DVDs only like US$20-24?

Standard MSRP for singles was $30 for 5 sub/dub eps, $25 for 5 sub only. Hayate is actually $40 MSRP for 7 sub only eps which puts it just in line with dub pricing and not sub pricing. Simply put, Bandai spent too much on it and needs to make it back.

Quote:
Or does Madman make their own DVDs?

Madman makes their own.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Madman makes their own.

See, I often get confused because Madman DVDs usually have adverts or trailers for productions licensed by FUNimation or ADV (except they're not ADV anymore) or whatever. And of course they don't make their own dub but use whatever one North America got. So I wasn't sure if they made their own DVDs; thanks for clearing that up for me.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Someone who's too busy noting the comic appeal of the series to do much research on the physical product. *coughs* Yeah... somehow I just assumed the TRSI 'part 1' listing meant the same thing as most part 1 listings... 8-13 episodes over 2 discs. Needless to say, I was pretty disgruntled as the release approached and someone on this site mentioned the 7 episode 1-disc release- especially when I found out how long the show is. Then I got the show, watched it... and fell madly in love with it. Damn you Bandai, I've fallen completely into your horrible money-trap.

Between this and Code Geass R2, I'm going to have to be very, very wary of starting any new Bandai shows. Embarassed
Mori600

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
B=B-+C+C+C?

I am confused.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Mori600 wrote:
B=B-+C+C+C?

I am confused.

Carl Kimlinger often puts more weight on how much he enjoyed or hated a show than on the quality (or not) of the story, art, animation and music. You just have to get used to his style.

He really liked this show, so he marked it up. It is as simple as that.

I won't say more, because I don't want to soapbox. Well, I do, but I also don't want to get into trouble.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Mori600 wrote:
B=B-+C+C+C?

I am confused.

Because there are other factors that aren't included in the specific categories, like characters, or entertainment value.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
I heartily disagree with the "not much to look at" statement. Hayate's first season had a wonderful art style, specifically the character designs for the female characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
Definitely one of the better comedies from the last few years. Carl giving it a decent rating almost makes it a masterpiece, considering its content and his usual viewpoint on such.

It is unfortunate that the times have driven down the quality of releases, or I guess I should say the value. It isn't that the price is so bad per episode in today's market, but that the value (dub, extras, etc) has been reduced in order to achieve that price. I'm somewhat alone, certainly in the minority, in that I would pay more for more. But then there aren't enough of me Wink. Bandai apparently just can't make a profit on its previous standards of quality (Code Geass), and I hate seeing them have to abandon that because they released many of my favorite collections.

The animation quality comments really aren't pertinent. For this type of show, as long as it isn't distracting, it's a non-issue. And Hayate's animation quality soars above some, if not many, of the current series airing in Japan. The style fits the content perfectly, really.

Yes, you may be in for a sizeable investment if you get hooked. Season one is 52 episodes, and season two is 26. Plenty enough manga is completed to cover another 26 episodes. And if anything, season two is better than season one, so no reason not to keep going. There's really nothing else out there in comedy that has a chance of going that long. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is obviously "smarter" comedy, but only up to around 40 eps total (TV+OVA/OAD), and seems unlikely to be licensed because of massive localization/translation issues (Similar to Pani Poni Dash). So really, the investment is worth it to comedy fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1