• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10th One Piece Film Tops Ponyo's Opening Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
WOW, the one piece fandom definetly had a growth spirt in 2009 O_O
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Harry Potter had 844 screens, and Ponyo had 481, whereas One Piece only had 188... and One Piece still had a higher box office opener.

That's just domination plain and simple.

I can't wait to see this movie. Should be quite awesome with Oda overseeing it.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
One Piece needs that Popularity in America. Maybe FUNimation was to late on saving it from 4kids. Maybe if it had a TV spot then One Piece will be able to make a come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
It's picking up steam amongst English-speaking fans at least. I'm seeing more and more One Piece cosplay at conventions too. I doubt it'll ever be as popular as say, Naruto or Bleach, but it certainly is gaining momentum in my eyes.

Of course, having the excellent FUNimation dub on television would help garner even more fans.
Seca

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised by those numbers. I had bought an advanced ticket (which is more like a ticket voucher) and went in to the nearby theater about an hour after it opened on Saturday, opening day. I ended up waiting in line for about an hour to get to the ticket counter just to reserve a seat (as you get assigned seats) for the earliest showing that had space, 310PM the next day.

I still got the special manga when I went to see the film on Sunday, so at least Shounen Jump seemed to realize that there was going to be a lot of demand for that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
One Piece needs that Popularity in America. Maybe FUNimation was to late on saving it from 4kids. Maybe if it had a TV spot then One Piece will be able to make a come back.

Even I am thinking that their too late as well. Also what's worse for the series even though the dub is showing on the funi site,there too many fansites using dvd rips of the series and illegaly streaming them on sites like veoh and myspace then there's those japan epsiodes leaks that happened recently,which is why it has the rep and ironcally a series about pirates is one of the most pirated series ever on the net according to nebs.

as for a TV release i'm not givng up on that until the DVD box sets complets the Skypeia arc.

Hopefully for the 10th movie if it comes to the US, they (Toei & Funi) should do what Media Blasters did with Kite's sequel and release both DVD versions at the same time to prevent the idea of fansubbing. as for illegal streams they need to come down harder on video sites or shut them down cause though i'd agree that the future of anime might be on the net though i'm not giving up on TV yet, the net can end up being a double edge sword as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:

You can add me as becoming a true fan in 2009. Very Happy

And the series is still only about halfway over, so it's got plenty of time to pick up more fans in the West/North America, especially if Viz pushes the manga speed-up in the right way.
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:

That's not what happened.

What happened is more people were interested in getting a free exclusive OP manga and seeing a new movie overseen by Oda than they were a retelling of a previous arc.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think the show ever had a chance of that level of popularity in the US. At the end of the day it's a kids show, but there's no good way to localize for kids and people above the age of 10. Everyone's too angry, and there's no good way to translate the things they say. I know I'm the only one who thinks this, but 4kids dub was too soft, Funi's is too hard. Judging by the fan translations I've seen no one has found a middle ground.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Not saying that the movie is worse than Ponyo, but they definitely released it at a better time of the year, so it's not a huge surprise.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
bleachigo66 wrote:

That's not what happened.

What happened is more people were interested in getting a free exclusive OP manga and seeing a new movie overseen by Oda than they were a retelling of a previous arc.

I wasn't only refering to the movie. One Piece has been number one on the animation top 10 list in japan a few times, the most recent manga volume sold MILLIONS of copies, and Luffy is even going to be on the cover of a mens magazine
(he is the first manga ever to make it on said cover) Wink
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Or people just didn't give a damn regardless, did you ever think of that?
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Or people just didn't give a damn regardless, did you ever think of that?

I think the idea that One Piece has "failed" in the US is a little overstated.

Could it have done better? Obviously, but the early volumes are heading towards their 10th printing from Viz (if they aren't there already) so it's no disaster.

And Viz seem to be doing a grand job building it up for a new influx of readers with the compilation volumes. I've seen more written about One Piece in the last two weeks on general comics sites than I have in the 6 years I've been following it, so the word's getting out there.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
How long has One Piece been the most popular manga in Japan? I know it was only recently that total sales passed Dragon Ball.

Count me among those who'd like to see it on TV, though if the reports about Disney Anime hyper's Naruto are to be believed, they might not be the best network.

Monster in a box wrote:
I don't think the show ever had a chance of that level of popularity in the US. At the end of the day it's a kids show, but there's no good way to localize for kids and people above the age of 10. Everyone's too angry, and there's no good way to translate the things they say. I know I'm the only one who thinks this, but 4kids dub was too soft, Funi's is too hard. Judging by the fan translations I've seen no one has found a middle ground.

It can't be that hard just to avoid a few words. As long as "kill" and "die" aren't among them. Or, well, I'm hardly qualified -- what are some lines that demonstrate this?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I expected this to do well but those figures are just something else.
I guess it just has so much going for it.
- Most popular on-going shonen series
- Mangaka personally involved
- Limited volume 0 manga
- Prequel to movie shown as an small arc in recent TV episodes
- JUST LOOKS AMAZING!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2