• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Koikaze Licensed?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_No_Video

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Is this series licensed yet?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I somehow doubt that Koi Kaze will ever be licensed in the U.S., given the subject matter.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I somehow doubt that Koi Kaze will ever be licensed in the U.S., given the subject matter.

- abunai

Despite that, Koikaze has been licensed by Geneon for a while now.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
And don't we regret it. :/
Otaku_No_Video

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
I am loking forward to this show seeing a R1 release, it's very good.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Despite that, Koikaze has been licensed by Geneon for a while now.

Well, that shows how little I know. Embarassed

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it would get censored for "inappropriate" scenes. After all, the story is a bit too controversial for average American audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:30 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I wonder if it would get censored for "inappropriate" scenes. After all, the story is a bit too controversial for average American audiences.

How inappropriate?

Since when has sex stopped hentai?
Since when has sex stopped anime in general?

Unless it's *clearly* pedophilic, most companies aren't going to care.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think even then...Kite was *clearly* pedophilic, no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
Cookie, I would be very happy to see the R1 DVD would not be edited at all (including the episode 7.5). What I was worrying about is the incest and age issue. Even KoiKaze is totally fictional I'm sure that some group of people might protest against it, although in our real world a 15-years-old sleeping with a 28-years-old is not uncommon.

By the way, I had been visiting some website importing H-games. In their character info pages, all characters are over 18, even if some of them look barely 14. Shocked Embarassed Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, episode "7.5" (Dew Frost, the "controversial" episode between First Storm and Petals in the Wind, which wasn't aired by TV Asahi, but was aired by Kids Station, and distributed online by Geneon) contained no explicit sexual interplay between the characters.

In fact, I believe that there are two reasons why that particular episode was considered "controversial" in Japan. One was that spoiler[it went into detail with the specific reasons for the divorce of the protagonist's parents (the reasons being frigidity and adultery, semi-taboo topics - and divorce itself is still a semi-taboo topic in Japan). The other was that, as part of "background noise" in one scene, a radio broadcast discussing details of the imperial family's current problems was played. A parallel between the two families' problems might somehow be inferred, and this would obviously be too much for a Japanese audience.]

Throughout the series, spoiler[only one sexual encounter between the brother and sister of the story takes place, in the penultimate episode Spring Thunder. This scene is very circumspectly done - but it is unmistakeably a sexual encounter. By American standards, even though it is anime, it plays havoc with the legislation concerning sexual exploitation of minors (18 USC Chapter 110, the same legislation which causes hentai game manufacturers to insert those absurd disclaimers), since Nanoka is clearly a minor by US law, albeit not by Japanese law.]

-abunai
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote
Geh! I made a mistake.

If you're looking for the radio broadcast scene - that is in a different episode. I had misremembered. But the spoiler[frigidity and adultery is there, in the afterword (after the credits) where Koushirou and Nanoka's father, Zenzou, talks about the divorce.

His words are:

"I'm Nanoka's father Zenzou, who can't be counted on in a crunch. Because I couldn't take Makei-san's lack of consideration, I resorted to this (*gestures with pinky*)."

Now, a this is a genuine Japanese euphemism... first, we are told repeatedly by Makei-san (the mother) during the episode that Zenzou is unreliable when needed most. This is especially the case whenever the subject of Nanoka's birth comes up. Zenzou himself speaks of Makei-san's "lack of consideration" (I take this to mean that she was withholding sexual favours, probably as a result of postpartum frigidity, a not uncommon situation) and that he had resorted to "this" (and the gesture).

"This" or "that" (kore or are) are common Japanese euphemisms for sexual relations, and the pinky gesture means kanojo, "girlfriend" (a thumb means kare, "boyfriend"). So he's basically saying:

"Makei-san wouldn't sleep with me, so I found another woman to relieve my sexual tensions".

That's the root cause of the divorce, and it's stated quite clearly (by Japanese standards).]

-abunai
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:48 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Unless it's *clearly* pedophilic, most companies aren't going to care.

*Points to Puni Puni Poemy and Cosplay Complex*

Yeah, they don't care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1