• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rah Rah Rahmen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I bow before the, Douglas. That collection is so beautiful! Crying or Very sad

It is a shame that you put it singles out instead of spine out. I never got why people do that.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I admit I'm rather surprised that you didn't like Neko Rahmen. I thought everyone would love it. Maybe it's just me, but I loved the series and wished there was more. Sure, the animation seems strange, but I think each episode is animated by a different studio (as best as I can tell). Anyways, I liked that it was manic and simple, but I guess it isn't for everyone like I thought it was . . . . . .
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'll admit that I enjoyed 'Neko Ramen'. It was different I'll say. I found myself laughing quite a bit. But it's not for everyone.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In Shelf Life news, I'll be attending Anime Boston, coming up April 2-4th. If you're going, be sure to drop by my "Unusual Manga Genres" panel. Consequently, to prepare for the panel I'm taking off Monday March 29th and April 5th from Shelf Life.

Are you going to talk about Shion no Ou as you suggested in response to an earlier posting of mine? I might come for that even though I don't read manga.

Now if they'd only run a panel about anime/manga for the over-50 crowd like me!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Awesome shelves! I need to get a house ASAP so I can get shelves of my own. I want to display my collection like that.
I'd have no where near as many but it'd still be cool.

Quote:
Instead, these unfunny two and a half minute episodes may be the horrible future of anime. It's short, cheap to produce, streaming free online, and small enough to watch on a mobile device. The opening and ending credits take up 30 seconds of the run time.

I'm slightly confused at this. Are you implying that the fact it streams free online = the dark future of anime? And if so how does streaming free make it a bad thing? I could be completely misreading this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I'm slightly confused at this. Are you implying that the fact it streams free online = the dark future of anime? And if so how does streaming free make it a bad thing? I could be completely misreading this...

Indeed, considering that one of the best anime shorts I've seen recently is The Legend of Koizumi, which was streamed for free by its creators on YouTube.

Erin, you really should try reading some Sherlock Holmes. Other than the BBC version with the now-deceased Jeremy Brett, most of the remakes fail in capturing Doyle's work. There are so many stories it's hard to suggest a place to start, but I recall "A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Adventure of the Dancing Men," "The Red-Headed League," and the "The Five Orange Pips" as especially compelling. These are also among Doyle's favorites.

Last edited by yuna49 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Despite the title of the reviewed Detective Conan film, its DVD cover art clearly yet peculiarly depicts the central characters standing at the junction between Bridge Street and the Embankment, instead of anywhere near Baker Street itself.
A more recognisable motif, one supposes.

I am consoled, however, by the large Armitage III wallscroll portrayed in this week's shelf images.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Demonic+Elemental

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Umm...you do know that 'Neko Ramen' was Flash-animated, right? While each animator's art style is different in each episode, they ARE based off on mangaka Kenji Sonishi's art style. Just sayin'.

I do respect your opinion of not liking 'Neko Ramen', and after reading your recent post that clarified your remark on Neko Rahmen being streamed online for free leading to anime's dark future(I was confused, also), then I guess I can somehow understand. But I believe it was also available for free online on Yahoo! Japan at the time before being released on DVD. It's even available to watch on the official Neko Ramen website.

However, if your remark was aimed at just the 'Neko Ramen' anime itself, then I would say that you're being a bit overdramatic with it being "the horrible future of anime".

As for 'The Legend of Koizumi'...... Ehh, it was okay...

bj_waters wrote:
Wow. I admit I'm rather surprised that you didn't like Neko Rahmen. I thought everyone would love it. Maybe it's just me, but I loved the series and wished there was more. Sure, the animation seems strange, but I think each episode is animated by a different studio (as best as I can tell). Anyways, I liked that it was manic and simple, but I guess it isn't for everyone like I thought it was . . . . . .

Well, there is a second season of 'Neko Ramen' already out in Japan; actually, it's been out for quite a while now. However, I just don't know if Vuze is ever planning to license it for online in North America.

Chrno2 wrote:
Ok, I'll admit that I enjoyed 'Neko Ramen'. It was different I'll say. I found myself laughing quite a bit. But it's not for everyone.

Me too. I also enjoyed 'Neko Ramen'. The humor is different since it's Japanese-oriented in regards to the subject of ramen and its setting, and it's pretty much hit or miss, which applies to most 4koma gag manga as well as most TV comedy sketch shows. As you said, it won't be for everyone, however after reading some comments on Crunchyroll, I'm just glad to know that there are some people who have enjoyed it like I did.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Now there's a collection to inspire to. I only got into collecting Art Books lately, and that's just fantastic. I wonder if those binders behind the cels were full of more cels? The Akemi one from Maison Ikkoku was pretty. The CD binders are a good idea when storage gets to be an issue. So many titles, and lots of nice artwork displays. The budget thing is a good point- if you budget yourself, you can amass a big collection before you know it. A dvd a month and a few manga here and there goes a long way to an awesome looking collection
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Quote:
Instead, these unfunny two and a half minute episodes may be the horrible future of anime. It's short, cheap to produce, streaming free online, and small enough to watch on a mobile device. The opening and ending credits take up 30 seconds of the run time.

I think more the unfunny two and a half minutes is the dark future part.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Are you implying that the fact it streams free online = the dark future of anime? And if so how does streaming free make it a bad thing? I could be completely misreading this...

Just a thought, but where's the revenue?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This has absolutely nothing to do with the contest of the article, since none of those strike my particular interest. I must know though, is the title a homage to "Rasputin" (Ra ra Rasputin) though the number of syllables don't work out?

Or was it a homage to the 90's commercial for "Chia Pet" (Cha cha cha chia!) which fits the syllables, but has one too many "cha"s to fit the pattern?
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with the contest of the article, since none of those strike my particular interest. I must know though, is the title a homage to "Rasputin" (Ra ra Rasputin) though the number of syllables don't work out?

Or was it a homage to the 90's commercial for "Chia Pet" (Cha cha cha chia!) which fits the syllables, but has one too many "cha"s to fit the pattern?

Lady Gaga I think...
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Damn you Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! Will we ever get over Sherlock Holmes? It's been 123 years, already. I've never read a single Sherlock Holmes book or watched a movie starring Holmes from beginning to end (at least not without falling asleep, with the exception of Time After Time) but I'm so sick of that guy! (I have watched a couple DVDs worth of Sherlock Hound.) Holmes makes a crossover appearance in everything.

I'm sorry, but wow you have bad taste. There is a reason why Sherlock Holmes has been around so long, because it's a classic. And Sir Arthur Conan Dyle was a great author. And Sherlock Holmes isn't the only eternal work, there's also Dracula, Frankenstein, The Iliad, Oliver Twist and many other great works of literature. You're never gonna hear the end of Sherlock Homes. Sorry, but you won't. That's why he's been around for so long because the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are great. You may not think so, but they are. It also sounds like you never gave the books a chance. Anyway, you don't have to like it, but no matter how much you hate Sherlock Holmes, he's not going away.

By the way, I think I'd take Sherlock Holmes over Detecetive Conan anyway. I'm really starting to lose interest in that anime.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow you really disliked the Black Jack anime? I'd at least say it's average. Though if you watched it in huge blocks I can see how that is a turn off. I do think it is good if you watch one episode a week. Thought Black Jack 21 was better because it had an on going storyline which was cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3