• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Portrait of a Hero

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
I've been eyeing Natsume Ono for awhile, since I did enjoy the Restaurante Paradiso anime (though admittedly not enough to actually finish it but I think some of my issues with it might work better in manga form). I definitely think I will be picking up Not Simple...anything that gets an A is definitely worth checking out and anything that gets compared to solanin also definitely should be read.

Portrait of M & N sounds like it could be interesting, though I think I might have to finally check out Gakuen Alice first because it's been on my radar for a bit longer.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'll have to get Not Simple. I'm really grateful that Viz still publishes less mainstream titles.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
I already know the general response to these kinds of questions (Yes, you don't need to answer this question Zac), but...

Why hasn't Carlo reviewed Bokurano yet? (Not really meant literally, more a fanboy reaction to wanting it to get more attention o_<)

The first volume just came out recently. I'd have expected at least one of the daily reviewers to review it... I should just do it myself and submit it for Reader's Choice.

On topic:

Not Simple looks interesting. I think I might have to pick it up.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Being the huge Shana fan that I am , I agree that the manga is so lack luster in comparison to the novels and the anime. To bad, because it is the only new thing currently being released here in the US. I mean, I am still gonna buy it because I am a crazy Shana fan, but I wish Yen Press would just steal the novel license from VIZ and release it. Because the series is just so good and the manga does not do it justice.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Being the huge Shana fan that I am , I agree that the manga is so lack luster in comparison to the novels and the anime. To bad, because it is the only new thing currently being released here in the US. I mean, I am still gonna buy it because I am a crazy Shana fan, but I wish Yen Press would just steal the novel license from VIZ and release it. Because the series is just so good and the manga does not do it justice.

The second season of the anime is pretty much in licensing hell isn't it? I've heard that there are some issues regarding the rights to some of later seasons of Geneon shows that got rescued by Funimation, which is a real shame. I just recently watched the first season of Shana on Funimation's website, and it was pretty good.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Being the huge Shana fan that I am , I agree that the manga is so lack luster in comparison to the novels and the anime. To bad, because it is the only new thing currently being released here in the US. I mean, I am still gonna buy it because I am a crazy Shana fan...

Another Shana fan here too. At least the manga are back to being released. Wasn't there a time that wasn't so certain? I can't remember off the top of my head when I read volume four. I'll have to go through it again and then pick up volume five. It may not be the greatest, but it's better than nothing.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Um Arakawa doesn't write the story of heros tales she just does the art :/ So don't blame her for the bad story telling, you should be able to see on the cover who did the storyline.

Last edited by Yorozuya on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I'll hear plenty of comments about Not Simple's art style being the crappiest thing they've ever seen.
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
Um Arakawa doesn't write the story of heros tales she just does the art :/ So don't blame her for the bad story telling, you should be able to see on the cover who did the storyline.

According to the page for the manga manga#8046, she's responsible for both the story and the art. The original concept for the story is by Jin-Zhou Huan.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the glowing review of Not Simple. I picked it up on the recommendation of a friend of mine, read it all in one go and certainly wasn't disappointed. I've had my eye on Natsume Ono since watching (and thoroughly enjoying) the Ristorante Paradiso anime last year, and can't wait to pick up the Ristorante Paradiso and House of Five Leaves manga when they become available.
loka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isn't the whole point of this series supposed to be about a cute little girl being awesome with a sword?

No. Or, I don't think so.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:

I would also prefer the novels, mostly because it'll take faster for the novels to move past the anime's storyline, though I'm also collecting the manga because I'm a huge Shana fanatic.
I was on the fence with the first vol. of KARAKURI, but the second vol. convinced me to stick with the series. I do agree with the review about the art though. While I usually prefer simpler art styles, the backgrounds in KO are oversimplified, especially the furniture; sometimes I have a hard time figuring out excactly where the characters are supposed to be. I love GAKUEN ALICE so I'm definately interested in M&N.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1