• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-23]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The new question is the saaaame @___@
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The new question is the saaaame @___@

Ha! hahahahaha!

What will happen now? On the next Answerman Ball Z!

As for Nodame Cantibile, I thought they already had an English dub picked out already!
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
To questioner #2, I turn 31 in a week and I still attend ACEN in Chicago every year, and I still have a blast. I think what Brian says is right, that it does help to go to a bigger con, but it also helps to go with a group of friends. I guess it's kind of still "party weekend" for me and my buds, too, just without the "teenage" part. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Lucy wrote:

But then I realized that to save the industry, the scripts had to be as similar as possible when switched over from Japanese to English. That is part of the reason dubs fail. So I wanted to be a writer.

Umm, I don't think dubs, in particular are failing. I think it's the anime industry in general (unfortunately). In fact, I think that dubbed shows sell better than those with only subs. And, if you look at a lot of the dubbed shows with very direct translations, they just sound... off. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the correct story is told, the script can be tweaked a bit (within reason).

Last edited by AJMkarate717 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
That video is the thing nightmares are made of. Shocked

As a woman, I'd love to take the mask off her face and slap some sense back into that stupid girl for humiliating herself like that .. but they'd just keep the camera rolling and call it catfight fan service right? Some days you just can't win.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
If I were to ever win the lottery, I'd pursue a voice acting career. That way I'm doing something I love without having to dig through the couch for quarters so I can pay my light bill. I've wanted to be a VA for a while since I have a lot range in my voice and love making up lines and taking on different personalities, but then I got "The Adventures of Voice Acting" released by BangZoom and wasn't too excited anymore. But if I had money in the bank, I'd be more than willing to put in all the hard work necessary to be just a little successful. Unfortuanely, money makes the world go round and voice acting can't always put food in my belly. I've spent enough time in poverty, and now that I'm out, I don't want to go back.

Lucy wrote:
But then I realized that to save the industry, the scripts had to be as similar as possible when switched over from Japanese to English. That is part of the reason dubs fail. So I wanted to be a writer.

I actually believe the best dubs are the ones that branch away from the Japanese script. Desert Punk, Ghost Stories and Girls Bravo are some of the best dubs I've heard and they're very different from the Japanese. When a dub tries to emulate what the Japanese did is when it can fall flat or be unimpressive because it's uninspired; it's a regurgitation of Japanese lines that don't flow well in English. And it's certainly not just the writing either. When an actor tries too hard to sound like the Japanese or when the Director forces the actor to sound like Japanese is just as bad.

If I were to go into the writing field, I'd certainly be the next Stephen Foster in that I'd have no qualms altering a line or two to make the dub flow better or just make plain old make the show better (Ghost Stories anyone?). I just sometimes think dub studios forget that dubs are made for dub fans who like hearing it English, not the sub purists that want Japanese lines coming from an English speaker. They need to remember who their audience is.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
Don't worry about the hazy stares from the younger kids, because they are lame and nobody likes them.

Not sure why, but that line had me in stitches.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I want to get a job in the anime industry as a Japanese/English translator and translate anime scripts or manga dialog into English. Although I'm not sure if I need to learn anything besides the Japanese language and possibly better English grammar.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I get all depressed and sad for the fans who have yet to discover bigger, non-anime only conventions, and then they have you guys here on ANN say give up on cons, they're teens only.

People, conventions for you older people exist! Dragon*con in Atlanta is a giant block party of 4 main hotels with people of all ages, from 5-year olds to people in their 60s (and older). No one will look at you weird, and they have plenty of anime stuff. Move on to the next level if you're getting uncomfortable at your local anime con, or head over to one of the nation's more larger anime-only conventions. Heck, thinking on it now the majority of the Dragon*con crowd I can recall seeing looked in their 30s or above.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
As a 22-year-old anime fan that enjoys going to cons...I'd LOVE to see more adults hanging out at them (as long as they're polite and bathe, but that's probably more likely with them than the teenage set). Seeing people older than me still enjoying what I like gives me hope that I'll still be able to have fun like that.

Plus, I'm already starting to feel a little "old" for my hobbies, and I'm just too young to feel old yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm a 35-year-old who wishes she had a way to attend a con. Living in the Seattle area, there is a con close by, and a big one at that (Sakura-Con).

Unfortunately for me, the past two years, the convention has been scheduled on Easter weekend. As a parent with young kids, I'm ot able to get away from home that weekend to go. That weekend is family time at our house, especially with kids still young enough to believe in a certain bunny.

If Sakura-Con is always scheduled Easter weekend, then I'm basically screwed until my kids are older. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm 25, but I think I can get away with smaller cons for awhile ... they are still bright, shiny and fun to me, since I only started attending them less than 3 years ago Smile (I've been to 5 so far!) I am also female and look young, though ... in fact, when I was getting my hair/make-up done for my WEDDING last month, I was asked if I was going to prom Rolling Eyes I guess it's good to look young, though Wink

It sometimes feels like teenage party weekend ... but there are clearly enough folks over 21 for there to be drunk people / alcohol EVERYWHERE (at least in my experience!)

Size really does make a difference ... ACEN didn't feel too "young" to me.

I really don't have much interest in the "not just anime" cons except my husband might be more interested in attending something like that, so I would go and just check out the anime stuff ... but I have 0 interest in comics or sci-fi or star wars or any of the other big "nerdy fandoms" ... I like my dealer's room to be 90+% anime stuff.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I am 28 years old, I go to several conventions a year, and I am a cosplayer. While I am not a professional costumer, I take pride in making the costumes as nice and authentic as I possibly can. My experience varies from con to con.

For example, the con closest to me is AnimeNEXT in the NY/NJ area, and I've been attending it for several years. The majority of people at the con are in their pre-teen to teen years, and I get a lot of the "pedo" looks the person in the second question (Despite the fact I am a girl. >_>). At AnimeNEXT I seem to notice I tend to get overlooked as a cosplayer, especially during large group photoshoots for specific series.

On the other side, I go down to visit my rriend in Atlanta every other year, and we always go to Anime Weekend Atlanta while I am there. There are a lot more mature and older people at that con, and even the younger people are always friendly and willing to talk to you regardless. I've never once gotten a "Ugh, you're old!" look from anyone.

I still have fun regardless, and I will continue to go to cons myself as they're usually the only away-from-home vacations I really get to have anymore. XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess doing voice acting sounds like fun. Specially if I like the original product.

However, my biggest strength lies in writing. If I had the chance, yeah, I'd take the plunge and write a script for an animated work. But it wouldn't be much different than what I'd write if I had the chance to do a live-action film. Except, of course, that animation would allow more freedom to blow stuff up.

All in all, I guess I don't really see a difference between writing for different media. I'd still write what I like.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I get all depressed and sad for the fans who have yet to discover bigger, non-anime only conventions, and then they have you guys here on ANN say give up on cons, they're teens only.

People, conventions for you older people exist! Dragon*con in Atlanta is a giant block party of 4 main hotels with people of all ages, from 5-year olds to people in their 60s (and older). No one will look at you weird, and they have plenty of anime stuff. Move on to the next level if you're getting uncomfortable at your local anime con, or head over to one of the nation's more larger anime-only conventions. Heck, thinking on it now the majority of the Dragon*con crowd I can recall seeing looked in their 30s or above.

I agree! I do love anime conventions, but I've found a much more diverse (and less annoying) crowd at sci-fi or comic conventions. Of course, if you aren't into those things, you just have to pick and choose the anime conventions that fit you best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5