• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy: Robot Damashii Bonta-kun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Bonta-kun.....I MUST HAVE IT. Though, if they are coming out with a more military version, that'll be the one for me. And Bonta is a robot, if he shows up in SRW.....he'd have to be. Tekkaman and Orgun aren't robots, but they get a pass. So Bonta makes the cut.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The action figure looked cool, but there is no way I am spending thirty dollars on that. For me personally, that is overpriced for such a small figure with limited extras or even parts.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
A military version would be nice, but I wonder if that would include the Sousuke head. This figure looks fun enough with the interchangeable faces, but that option is just too funny.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Am I the first to notice that the sweat drop is "pointing" in the wrong direction?
(Alternative: I am being stupid again)
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
>>Just because he's a robot doesn't mean he isn't welcome in my home.

So now he IS a robot? :p

Nice review. Bonta-kun is not something I would ever pay more than 5-10 bucks for, because with that little mobility, I might as well just have one in a fixed pose on the cheap. If they have him in military gear aiming with an assault rifle and it was small and inexpensive, it might be worth owning. But that's just me~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Am I the first to notice that the sweat drop is "pointing" in the wrong direction?
(Alternative: I am being stupid again)

That was my reaction too. I saw it and was like, hmmm, something just isn't right...

Anyway, pretty cool figure. I really like the cartoony effect with the way he holds the guns and grenade. I was willing to forgive the lack of SWAT team gear if the head 'underneath' the mask was good enough but it's so obviously out of proportion that I couldn't help but laugh.

Nice review as always.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The last picture is awesome, Bonta-kun the mystery agent. :p
Elves

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Excellent posing in the final picture. That's good photography and layout, David. Smile
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
I loved this review!

And the toy seems to capture the cuteness and bizarreness from the anime very well.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I WANT!

Personally I think this toy is awesome. I tend to buy the more unique ones so this is right up my alley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
As much I don't buy figurines due to space limitations in my current living quarters I'm seriously considering buying one of these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't that this cost money, I'd definitely buy it!

Maybe next time you could review Danbo. At least he's unequivocally a robot. .....(?)

The light-up eyes are a nice touch, though I'm disappointed that they're powered by batteries rather than money.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
If it wasn't that this cost money, I'd definitely buy it!

Maybe next time you could review Danbo. At least he's unequivocally a robot. .....(?)

The light-up eyes are a nice touch, though I'm disappointed that they're powered by batteries rather than money.

I actually do have Danboard around here (you can see over at the Jojo review): unfortunately, by the time it got to me the batteries died and I haven't bothered to replace them.

Also, the combat type Bonta does not include the Sousuke head. That piece is so badly proportioned, however, that I do not consider this a loss. It's also missing the extra facial expressions and the sweatdrop, though, so the decision remains difficult. BANDAI!!
JLCL00

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
While it's a neat figure (BTW, I love the picture at the end with Golgo 13 and Bonta-kun; looks so neat!), I think I'll pass on this one or at least wait 'til the price drops.

$40? Maybe if I have enough money but for now, I'll pass...

But it still looks neat, thou... :C
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'd love to see a plushie Bonta-Kun. He's too cute to be a real mecha (like Mechazawa from Cromartie High).

Loved the "FumoFumoFuuuu!" Comlete with translations. Man, it's been a while since I've seen Fufumafu... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2