• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Confirms No DVD for Honey & Clover, 3 Others

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Except for Honey and Clover, that's a good thing. Pretty bad shows...
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The British Bard of Film Classification is a joke. You people need to get free speech rights.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I dont live in the UK so this doesn't really affect me but it still sucks to hear news like this.

On another note... I didn't even realize that the Strawberry 100% anime was licensed in the UK. How long ago was it announced?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the costs of converting masters from NTSC to PAL

What does that mean? It's all Greek to me...
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't matter that much nowadays, as the newer TV models can play both. So, the short answer is it's the type of TV the DVD is made for. NTSC applies to North American countries and a few others, while PAL applies to a bigger variety of countries, and UK is one of them. That's why when a store exports this media they (usually) warn its consumers, like "requires an NTSC compatible TV", which basically translates into: "move your arse and buy a better TV".
kamanashi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
How much does it cost to import DVDs from the US to the UK? I always wondered that since it seems anime isn't released as much there as it is here.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I usually find deliveries of complete sets for just £1.50. Sometimes, but apparently not always, the customs may add an extra charge to it. Like last time I imported an anime movie (£11 or so), they tried to charge me an extra £1.10 (prices may vary depending on the mood of their personnel) but as they delivered the DVD altogether I didn't bother paying. Royal Mail is usually the common and best choice, but if it end up with Fedex I could end up paying more than what it's worth; in case I refuse to pay they will keep it (not send back to the sender).

So, yes, prices may vary but it's usually really cheap depending on where you buy from. A lot of times it's cheaper to import R1 DVDs, but I generally buy from R2 if available. Besides R2 deliveries within the UK are almost always free.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched one of those shows and let me tell you, the anime was a complete waste of time. Whereas the manga, although fairly sterotypical had a decent ending.

The series I am talking about is Ichigo 100%. Standard harem and ecchi series. The anime was really nothing that hasn't been done before and the anime ending wasn't as good as the manga. In the anime spoiler[ the main male character doesn't end up with anyone and despite the fact that several girls had feelings for him, he still ended up with himself. Can't say I blame any of the girls though, he was the stereotypical "good guy", but was horribly indecisive.]

Long story short, the series was a standard harem show. Nothing really original, but at the same time, nothing really weird either.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Is it really that expensive to get a title thru the BBFC?
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
was ichigo 100% ever released anywhere besides japan????
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That doesn't matter that much nowadays, as the newer TV models can play both. So, the short answer is it's the type of TV the DVD is made for. NTSC applies to North American countries and a few others, while PAL applies to a bigger variety of countries, and UK is one of them. That's why when a store exports this media they (usually) warn its consumers, like "requires an NTSC compatible TV", which basically translates into: "move your arse and buy a better TV".

Unfortunatly not, god knows why almost no one will do NTSC releases. That conversion job + new masters apears to be the expensive bit of releasing things here. This is far bigger than BBFC costs which are about £3-4k for 26 eps (was discussing this on another forum).
kamanashi wrote:
How much does it cost to import DVDs from the US to the UK? I always wondered that since it seems anime isn't released as much there as it is here.

About £2.50 shippng.
If, on the other hand, it goes over the minimum price for import VAT (£18.00) you then have to pay 17.5% on it (that's just normal UK sales tax) and, more importantly, a handeling charge to the shipping agent. The handeling charge can be big it varies between about £8 to £15 depending on who it got shipped with (it's normaly far more than the tax). There's then customs duty if it gets realy expensive (over £135) dunno what that is (it's nightmareish to look up).
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Is it really that expensive to get a title thru the BBFC?

Specific fees can be found here (calculator next to it). Make sure to read this while you're at it.

Reaper gI wrote:
[...] god knows why almost no one will do NTSC releases.

Perhaps because they don't want to see lots of refunds. Believe it or not some people don't care if they use a TV whereof each inch equates to a kilogram, even though LCD is really cheap nowadays.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

Viz Media licensed the manga several years ago. However, that was several years ago. Probably Viz either finished years ago or recently.

Since there was little to almost no news about the series, it's really hard to tell what happened to the series.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Reaper gI wrote:
[...] god knows why almost no one will do NTSC releases.

Perhaps because they don't want to see lots of refunds. Believe it or not some people don't care if they use a TV whereof each inch equates to a kilogram, even though LCD is really cheap nowadays.

Erm TV's have been able to play NTSC longer than that. The CRT back with the folks has no problems, neither did the one that was brought to replace.
Don't think many DVD players can't do it. Only ones I know of that can't are the PS2 and Xbox.
We've had anime released here NTSC before with no complaint, be it a while back. The Ah My Goddess! OVA for example.

Edit: also how many people that own TVs that old have a DVD player or that TV is still working after 10+ years.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

Viz Media licensed the manga several years ago. However, that was several years ago. Probably Viz either finished years ago or recently.

Since there was little to almost no news about the series, it's really hard to tell what happened to the series.

Sadly, Viz went with a quarterly schedule for the manga, so they will not be done releasing it in the USA until January 2012, if they don't slow it down, like they did with Yakitate!! Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5