• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
Basically, I think this is the anti-Clannad/Kanon/Air.

I started to use "anti-Clannad/Kanon/Air" as well and then decided that wasn't quite right and switched to "bizarro." Maybe I'm just getting too hung up in semantics here, but any time you slap "anti" in front of something you are suggesting the item in question is the polar opposite of something else. I don't consider Bakemonogatari to be the polar opposite of something like Clannad. The basic structure of each is the same: guy attracts harem of girls who have problems and he helps them.

I see Bakemonogatari as almost a deconstruction of that model. It honours the model while also kind of mocking it. Therefore, the girls aren't all completely healed, nor is their affection for the guy straightforward. They still torment him in basically affectionate ways.

It is sort of the same thing with how Katanagatari is a deconstruction of the typical adventure/quest show. That's why the two leads have an extended conversation about snappy "catchphrases" and their importance. You only get that kind of thing when a genre is so well-known that the creator can wink at the audience, saying in effect: we all know the typical elements that go into this kind of story, so let's have some fun with them.

I see what you're saying there, but I think it's true this doesn't just mock the traditional formula; it's also a significant departure from it. When has a character (in this genre) ever been forced to acknowledge that compromises must be made? The closest I can think of is the ef series, but even then, everything tends to work out in the end. Araragi is kind the same way Tomoya (Clannad), Yuichi Aizawa (Kanon), and Himura Yuu (ef: A tale of melodies) are, trying to help everyone and such, but he's going to be (or at least, it looks very likely that he will be) forced into a very different realization.

Plus, the side characters stay relevant and important (I'm not just talking about remaining friends with the main characters either) to the story well after their turn in the spotlight, which is something else that's unique in this genre.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
I got the urge to come back and say that cat Tsubasa's cuteness was nyan thousand. Anime catgrin This bad pun just hit me a little while ago and I wanted to share.

Anyway what did people think of the OP, it was done in live action, and if the one in it was meant to Tsubasa, it gave me an idea of a message. Well the person didn't really look like, well to try and put it in a way not sounding shallow; she didn't look like a model. It made me think that it might have been implying the stress that people get by their being an unrealistic expectations body image.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I got the urge to come back and say that cat Tsubasa's cuteness was nyan thousand. Anime catgrin This bad pun just hit me a little while ago and I wanted to share.

So true Razz Kawaii overloaded my senses. Besides, in how many other shows can you hear Horie Yui acting like a catgirl?

Damn, I missed the show. This was like a presentation of the best harem around. Just waiting for all the BDs to come out to watch it again.
dayjobdeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

So I have to say that I enjoyed this show from the start.
This was a great show that defined my graduating summer last year from high school and I am glad I saw it though to the end, that I did not forget about it.

Something that this episode displayed as a theme, and the series in general, was that life moves on.

It might get clouded and difficult to know what is happening or going to happen, but time moves forward whether you like it or not.

All those oddities when right back to their daily grind (pretty much) after everything was over, and so did Koyomi (well, at least he tried).

This show, I felt, was a nice hallmark in just how wonderful anime can get, from being a form of entertainment to sending its own messages.

Books were just books until everyone could read them. Movies were just movies until everyone could watch them. And well, anime will be anime until everyone watches.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, the saga is finally over. It is a shame I missed the original broadcast and the discussion that went along with it.

This show has been discussed to death; while I feel it is over-rated, I struggle to think of an anime that matches the entertainment value it achieves within intense and amusing conversation. The only comparisons I can think of is the G.I.T.S or Spice and Wolf, but the former had more of an intellectual snobbery air to it.

This is a show I would definitely buy because of its rewatch value, which for me is a rare attribute I find in anime. Would like to see it dubbed aswell.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhhh, at long last I can put this puppy in my "Seen All" category. I can't wait to see the final "sweetened" version that comes out on DVD/Blu-ray. This is a show I'll definitely re-watch to try and catch everything I missed the first time around, nya.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I can't wait to see the final "sweetened" version that comes out on DVD/Blu-ray

The Japanese Blu-rays look marvelous, and the new material really contributes to the overall magnificence of the series, with one exception. Many of the opening and closing songs have been removed, which is a real travesty because they truly added to the splendor of the show. Perhaps this change might just be unique to the version I have in my possession, but if this change is part of the R1 release, I will be very disappointed. Seriously, the opening of episode four shouldn’t be part of the extras, that crazy song needs to be part of the experience when watching Bakemonogatari.

As for episode fifteen, I loved every second of it. I especially loved when Black Hanekawa said,spoiler[ “You should be happy. You get to ride Mistress’s naughty body straight to Heaven”.] I think that might be my favorite quote from the entire series, even with all the memorable quotes Senjougahara provided. Also, I’m praying that the series will continue, perhaps with an OVA to show us spoiler[Koyomi’s transformation into a vampire and then subsequent reversal.] But a second season would be welcome too, I’m really not picky, since any more Bakemonogatari would be a dream come to true.

One final note, Bakemonogatari is one of those extraordinary animes that only come along every couple years that manage to revitalize your worship for anime all over again. I’d be curious to hear how the females on this board felt about this show. Since my admiration for this series really relies on the connection I had with Koyomi’s awkward journey into the realm of women, sexual desire and relationships. I guess if you want look past all of that jazz, the show still manages to thrive as a comedy and as an achievement in surreal animation. Bakemonogatari truly has been anime bliss, and is one of those few shows that I will watch consistently throughout the rest of my life.

Final grade:Masterpiece
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'll wait on the throwing arround of the word Masterpiece until I see a "finished" DVD version. At this point though it's definitely an Excellent.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari was a great show, though I will put in my one complaint, WHY DIDN'T SHINOBU GET A TALKING PART? The encyclopedia on this site says that she is voiced by Aya Hirano, but I don't count a single line, and it even felt like were snobbed one in a kick ass scene in episode 15. Well back to the good things, alot, I still like cat spirit, even though I can't understand the words by listening, I could at least hear it's manerisms. I guess it was good in episode 15 having Koyomi figure out that Tsubasa liked him when it was as plane as day to everyone else, and he handled it in a mature way. Well after realising that spoiler[being killed won't be the answer, it was some pretty harsh or gutsy things he said, but they felt right.]

Thumbs up to Bakemonogatari, and I hope we get some of the other stories animated, including spring break and about his sisters.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
I kind of thought that the show might have been simply at the right time in the right place, or somehow I just remember it better than it really way. No, this last episode definitely has the same magic I remember.
Haha, obakeyashiki, I knew this would come sooner or later. And the final illustration is a nice touch.

I also didn't get it, does Aya Hirano now do silent roles?..

Definitely queuing this one for a rewatch when all the BDs come out.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:

The Japanese Blu-rays look marvelous, and the new material really contributes to the overall magnificence of the series, with one exception. Many of the opening and closing songs have been removed, which is a real travesty because they truly added to the splendor of the show. Perhaps this change might just be unique to the version I have in my possession, but if this change is part of the R1 release, I will be very disappointed. Seriously, the opening of episode four shouldn’t be part of the extras, that crazy song needs to be part of the experience when watching Bakemonogatari.

Yeah, your "version" is the problem. The blu-rays sitting on my shelf certainly have the OPs and EDs. Let me guess. Fansub that uses linked chapters with OPs and EDs as separate linked files. Your codec settings don't have linked chapters in mkv files enabled, so the OPs and EDs get skipped.
not

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
About Aya Hirano on the cast...

I had actually heard that SHAFT was planning on animating the Koyomi Vamp arc dealing with spring break but decided not to go for it and the animation they had already completed was worked into episode 1 of Bakemonogatari for a little background information. So I guess she would of voiced Shinobou but being show business, plans change.

Great show by the way, there was not a second I did not enjoy.

Last edited by not on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
se7en-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
just.. wow. I'm really hoping there's gonna be an OVA/2nd season for the series. well shinobu's arc would be quite nice.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Urgh, pem subs again Sad

I'm genuinely sad Bakemonogatari has finished. Despite waiting and hoping the final episode would be released, part of me liked still having it lurking around in the background.

I don't even have to think twice before tarring this one with the masterpiece brush. I've loved every minute of it and I'm sure I will continue to do so for some time to come. It was such a great dialogue and character driven piece, and completely refreshing in amongst the standard fare these days. I agree with other posters who feel there's more story to tell, yet it doesn't feel incomplete; Does that make sense to anyone reading this? A blatant contradiction but there it is.

Senjougahara remains, for me, the greatest modern female anime character. Haruhi who? Laughing
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
Loved the last episode. Was nice to finally see the triangle aired out and Araragi man up a bit when talking with Black Hanekawa. Only wish we got to hear Shinobu speak and see Araragi as a true vampire. Great show overall. I do hope they make more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 26