• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Filling Seats at 87% of Ponyo's Rate

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
I saw it, and it was really damn good. It had touches of the Miyazaki magic (he wrote the script, after all) but had a feel all its own thanks to new director Yonebashi. A new Ghibli classic. It deserves to stay on the top of the Japanese box-office for a while.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that 87% isn't bad; this film doesn't have Miyazaki helming, and it also doesn't have the Ponyo song, which I remember appearing everywhere when Ponyo came out. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufpLG0-Id8w

I haven't noticed as much fuss over Arrietty, although though of course I might just be missing it.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Ponyo is my least favorite Miyazaki film to date. Interested to see how this new director handles things. Count me in as moderately interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik, same here-- I thought Ponyo was pretty but empty. And that SONG D: It still echoes in my nightmares. Arrietty's song is gorgeous though; I haven't seen the movie yet but there's an improvement right there Very Happy

For a non-Miyazaki film it seems like it's doing pretty well; but these days there doesn't seem to be much of a market for more mature "family" films so who knows.
H0shi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
87% is pretty high you know, even you compare it to international films Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading The Borrowers when I was young. It was a very nice children's book. I'm looking forward to seeing Arrietty.

Saturn wrote:
I thought Ponyo was pretty but empty.

I harbor no hatred for it but after I watched it I remember getting up, ejecting the disk, and forgetting the show existed almost immediately. It just didn't leave any impression on me at all.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Saw Ponyo in a 3/4 full theater at Times Square. We didn't fully understand the resolution neither. But what's notable about that experience was that there were many moms there with their young kids. Many of them didn't even know it's anime or even heard about it. Apparently, they only found out about it thru Disney's magazines and TV ads. So at least that's a well-targeted marketing.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
H0shi wrote:
87% is pretty high you know, even you compare it to international films Shocked

Exactly. The theater I went to was completely sold out for the entire day, as were pretty much all the other theaters in Tokyo. People need to realize that even at 87% this is still pretty easily going to be one of the biggest movies of 2010 here in Japan. Nothing compares to Ghibli at the Japanese box office.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ponyo was...under par, I agree. But when you think about it, Miyazaki had hit the top, the only way to go was down no matter what he did (Shyamalan anyone?). At least it wasn't a completely terrible movie like, Tarzan & Jane made by Disney. Horrible story line and even worse animation. Seriously, I think they drew the entire thing with their feet.

With anything Miyazaki touches, you can at least look forward to the art. The spectacular watercolor presentation and the whimsical musical composition Joe Hisaishi that we all enjoy (even if some of the pieces are repeated).
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone has seen it and said it was good. After watching the last horror that was Howl's moving castle followed by the rest of the sup par Ghibli movies since then...

It looks better than Ponyo too >.> Did someone mention Disney? They molest books even worse.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Going to have to disagree with the Disney Tarzan movie. The storyline wasn't the best there was, but it wasn't weak. The animation though was nothing close to terrible, and part of why I really like to watch it is the great artwork and animation. We must have watched completely different films. Anyways, what does "Tarzan" really even remotely have to do with this film? They're 11 years apart, technically not even from the same era.

"The Borrowers" looks like it could be good, and it'll be interesting seeing the Ghibli talent behind a new director since Miyazaki's post-"Spirited Away" productions have been rather lackluster. The guy is a great director, but I honestly get the impression sometimes that he's simply past his prime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Going to have to disagree with the Disney Tarzan movie. The storyline wasn't the best there was, but it wasn't weak. The animation though was nothing close to terrible, and part of why I really like to watch it is the great artwork and animation. We must have watched completely different films. Anyways, what does "Tarzan" really even remotely have to do with this film? They're 11 years apart, technically not even from the same era.

"The Borrowers" looks like it could be good, and it'll be interesting seeing the Ghibli talent behind a new director since Miyazaki's post-"Spirited Away" productions have been rather lackluster. The guy is a great director, but I honestly get the impression sometimes that he's simply past his prime.

The person who mentioned Tarzan was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan_%26_Jane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I'm glad someone has seen it and said it was good. After watching the last horror that was Howl's moving castle followed by the rest of the sup par Ghibli movies since then...

It looks better than Ponyo too >.> Did someone mention Disney? They molest books even worse.

eeeeh, we'll have to differ on that; I thought Howl was one of Miyazaki's best. Talk about heart!

About Disney, I wonder why they decided to sell their integrity so cheaply with all those terrible sequels? At least Pixar's sequels aren't big balls of garbage.
So far. Nervously awaiting Monsters Inc 2.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing. Even if Miyazaki's more recent films have not been quite as amazing as, say, Spirited Away or Totoro (both of which are continually considered two of the greatest children's movies ever made) , they are still of a quality so much higher than almost anything else in the same market that it isn't even funny. Ponyo didn't have a deep plot or the epic scale of some of Miyazaki's other films, but to have such things wasn't at all his intention. The movie was very specifically for 5-year olds, and even so the sheer imagination,incredible hand-drawn animation, and wonderful characters were enough to make it an extremely enjoyable movie for anyone going into the feature without some strange bias against its target audience.
The truth is that there has ever only been one movie made by Ghibli that was not in some way amazing, and that was Tales from Earthsea (which taken away from the Ghibli context is still a pretty good movie by anime standards).
Anyway, I do think Arrietty was probably one of the best Ghibli productions in the past five years or so. So I don't waste any more forum space, anyone who wants to hear more about the movie can read my review on IMDB here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568921/usercomments
But yeah, I'm excited for this movie to get to America!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

The truth is that there has ever only been one movie made by Ghibli that was not in some way amazing, and that was Tales from Earthsea (which taken away from the Ghibli context is still a pretty good movie by anime standards).
Anyway, I do think Arrietty was probably one of the best Ghibli productions in the past five years or so. So I don't waste any more forum space, anyone who wants to hear more about the movie can read my review on IMDB here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568921/usercomments
But yeah, I'm excited for this movie to get to America!

I wouldn't even say that Tales from Earthsea is "a pretty good movie by anime standards". The animation and art is pretty enough, but there is absolutely nothing coherent about the direction/story in that film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3