• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan Expo 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elfmagic777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
This is really interesting... ever since I heard you would be going to japan expo on the podcast I was really excited. I hope that you will continue to cover it since it is one of the larger cons and its important to get a taste of anime culture form all over the world. It helps people not be so full of themselves. (I'm looking at you America...)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
The whole purpose of going to Japan Expo was to decide if we should cover it in full in the future.

You'll have to wait 11 months to learn the answer :-p

-t
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
I read that this is where Shonen Gangan and some other folks said that the new FMA movie is live-action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
The numbers of attendees is impressive. Before seeing this, I really had no idea that an anime-related con outside Japan could draw such numbers. And I thought Anime Expo with their ~50k attendees was large. The US con scene at this time is too decentralized (that, and the US has a large land area) to hit 180k. Interesting to see this.

Also, the festival games and takoyaki stalls are an interesting twist.

Last edited by Kyosuke_ on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know the name of the person playing the shamisen? He was at Fanime a few years ago and I really like his music but could not for the life of me remember what his name is. Sad

animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/convention/35132/img_0840.jpg
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting so many photos and captions. Re the caption:

Noémie Alazard - The presenter of Ultra Manga gives autographs to fans. Ultra Manga airs weekly on MCM, a cable-TV station that focuses on manga (and anime), music, video games and "Glisse".

I'm curious, what does "Glisse" mean in the caption?
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Great that you covered the Japan Expo 2010.

The evolution is this year the Japanese companies came in force: Shueisha, Kadokawa , Hobby Japan, Tezuka Productions, Cospa, Good Smile Company...

A small correction, Ki-oon just has the manga rights over Pandora Hearts. The anime right seems to go to Kana home video.

For Shueisha-Shogakukan holding aka Viz Media Europe, acquiring Kazé was the most logic choice for two reasons. First Kazé is centered on a media-mix development axis with a manga publishing side (Asuka), an anime publishing side (Kazé) and a music record label (Wasabi Records). Second French Manga market and by extension whole Comics market is a cut-throat so better for them starting with an experienced team rather from scratch.

Covering the Japan Expo can be worth it especially if you cover anime/manga publishers from the #3 anime/manga market worldwide. Going there just for some photos and guest interviews isn't worth.

The point to going to Japan Expo beyond the event is to get opinions & insights from the participants about the "craft" and the "business".
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
Thanks for posting so many photos and captions. Re the caption:

Noémie Alazard - The presenter of Ultra Manga gives autographs to fans. Ultra Manga airs weekly on MCM, a cable-TV station that focuses on manga (and anime), music, video games and "Glisse".

I'm curious, what does "Glisse" mean in the caption?

Surf/Slide/Glide pick one.
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the person playing the shamisen? He was at Fanime a few years ago and I really like his music but could not for the life of me remember what his name is. Sad

animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/convention/35132/img_0840.jpg

Reply: Frédéric ANDRE, a former participant of JET Programme playing Tsugaru Shamisen.

http://www.japan-expo.com/fr/contenu/ambassade-du-japon_95.htm
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of Japan Expo, but now I know what to look forward to if i'm ever in France this time of year Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hamsterpuff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
Okay, that settles it, I'm going next year.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Impressive, right? And it's only half of one of two event halls used for Japan Expo. Total attendance for Japan Expo 2010 is expected to reach 180,000 unique attendees. Comparatively speaking, Anime Expo is believed to have had approximately 50,000 unique attendees, and San Diego Comic Con expects 130,000 unique attendees.

Hmm, Comic Exhibition Taipei this year had 110,000 unique attendees on 7/31 (Sat) alone; convention administrators had to use carbon dioxide detectors to monitor air quality in order to ensure no one fainted (several did at TIBE 2010 this February). Total (non-unique) attendees of six days were 540,000. That was more than half a million.

Yet ANN's readership in Taiwan is so tiny that Alexa doesn't have the ranking listed. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
Been there, done that. Mr. Green For the ones that would like to go I recommend buying the tickets in advance and for the whole event.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
KrebMarkt wrote:
Going there just for some photos and guest interviews isn't worth.
The photo gallery was actually an afterthought. I did not plan on covering the event this year, but we decided that since I was there, I might as well do some coverage

Quote:
The point to going to Japan Expo beyond the event is to get opinions & insights from the participants about the "craft" and the "business".

Well yes, I had many reasons for going. Do we know each other ?

-t
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Wonder if anyone did Sakura Taisen 3 cosplay. Rose of Versailles is probably more likely, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3