• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: X DVD Complete Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
Watching the X TV series felt so therapeutic after seeing the godawful and just plain seriously pointless film version from before. It's mostly for that reason the bleakness of this series didn't hit me quite as much as it should have. But even by itself, this turned out to be a really good series and I'm glad I collected the Geneon remix discs from Right Stuf (for a good price too!).
CreisSema

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
X will always be one of my all-time favorite anime. it's the first anime i ever watched, I stumbled upon it by chance and after watching it i was totally hooked on anime. It's a series that will keep you on the edge of your seat through-out the whole 24 episodes, the ending is not in the least what you expect and you can recognize some of CLAMP's best characters... definitely worth watching!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
About the clunky animation, as Zac noted in a podcast this was early in the switch from hand-drawn to digital animation and the technology lent itself to low-movement and overly glossy colors. Mind you, I think that works for CLAMP, a team known for their gorgeous spreads and highly stylized designs, but at the same time I'm glad we're past that stage.

X is my favorite CLAMP anime adaptation (along with the second season of xxxHOLiC) and I bought the Geneon release cheap as they went bankrupt. There are a fw things I wish they'd kept in from the manga (the relationship between the two mothers) but there are also things I'm glad they cut (like Kamui's mother dying to stop global warming (wtf?) and Kamui returning to school in the second half (priorities?)). And of course at least this version has an ending, and a rather bittersweet, appropriate one at that.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Oh, X. It was the first DVD I bought, and I remember eagerly waiting for the next volume to come out, and racing down to the store to get it when it did. This is one of those shows that I forgot how much I love it, until someone mentions it. Then suddenly I remember the great characters, the beautiful art, and the incredibly addicting story.
Great review, and hopefully it will encourage a newer fan to check out this series. It's definitely a good representation of how good anime can be, and could easily be used as a 'hook' to get new fans.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation adds nothing (and removes but a little) from Geneon/Pioneer's original releases. The extras are basically the same: fairly pedestrian interviews (15 minutes of them) with Kawajiri and the two male leads, Episode 0 (an OVA teaser for the series proper), and clean versions of the superb opener and quietly forgettable closer. The dub is also the same: same attention to casting, same fidelity in scripting, same spotty acting that sabotages a few too many of the more devastating scenes. It's worth watching only if you absolutely cannot stand Japanese, or absolutely must get your Crispin Freeman fix (his Fuma—Kamui's best friend—is its one genuine highlight).
So what exactly does Funimation remove, then?
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
"Fetish for tragedy" is a pretty mild way to put it...

This show is the depression to Idiocracy's cruel social commentary.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
one of the closest projects to be described as "masterpiece" -- for an animé series...

story, characters, animation, music, pace... it is a piece of master (few masters)...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Funimation adds nothing (and removes but a little) from Geneon/Pioneer's original releases. The extras are basically the same: fairly pedestrian interviews (15 minutes of them) with Kawajiri and the two male leads, Episode 0 (an OVA teaser for the series proper), and clean versions of the superb opener and quietly forgettable closer. The dub is also the same: same attention to casting, same fidelity in scripting, same spotty acting that sabotages a few too many of the more devastating scenes. It's worth watching only if you absolutely cannot stand Japanese, or absolutely must get your Crispin Freeman fix (his Fuma—Kamui's best friend—is its one genuine highlight).
So what exactly does Funimation remove, then?

5.1?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1