• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, September 13-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egress63

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
If anyone would have said in the 90's that there will be a time when Rumiko's work would sell just 38k copies in the first week - they would have considered that person mad...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Hana-Kimi?! What is this (Hana-Kimi) After School? Long time fan wishes to know.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I am glad that Flat is doing so well! I love that series--so cute, innocent, and surprisingly three dimensional when it comes to character emotions, personality, and development. Now, if only a publisher -suchasYenPress- could pick it up...But, I'm honestly surprised at its sales: vol. 2 had around 51K total volumes, while vol. 3 had a little bit over 100,000. Its sales seem to increase each go around (though they've seemed to have reached a sort of stability now).

Perhaps ANN can get a page for it now, seeing as it has consistently appeared on these charts whenever a new volume hits?
Shuichi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Rozen Maiden for the win <3
Demonic+Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I am glad that Flat is doing so well! I love that series--so cute, innocent, and surprisingly three dimensional when it comes to character emotions, personality, and development. Now, if only a publisher -suchasYenPress- could pick it up...But, I'm honestly surprised at its sales: vol. 2 had around 51K total volumes, while vol. 3 had a little bit over 100,000. Its sales seem to increase each go around (though they've seemed to have reached a sort of stability now).

Perhaps ANN can get a page for it now, seeing as it has consistently appeared on these charts whenever a new volume hits?

Yeah, but I think it's unlikely that Yen Press would be able to do it, taking into consideration that Flat is a Mag Garden title and most of the manga series from Mag Garden have been picked up by Tokyopop (and a few from Digital Manga Publishing).
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Demonic+Elemental wrote:

Yeah, but I think it's unlikely that Yen Press would be able to do it, taking into consideration that Flat is a Mag Garden title and most of the manga series from Mag Garden have been picked up by Tokyopop (and a few from Digital Manga Publishing).

Yeah, I believe that is the one TP has connections with...I think there may be one more company that I'm forgetting, but MG is definite. I suppose I wish more for YP because I'm guaranteed the color pages and a quality release....While with TP...They're so incredibly hit or miss these days...

I won't totally write off the possibility, but I won't be surprised if TP picks it up (assuming it is licensed). Then again, outside deals can be arranged, I'd just imagine the costs would be greater and there would be more work involved. And it's not like Flat is even a top-priority manga (though Yen has more experience with series of that nature, seeing as they release Bunny Drop and With the Light). I'm not even sure what people would expect for it sales-wise in NA/UK.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
No surprise seeing Liar Game in the top 10. Booyah!

I still can't believe this has not been licensed for English release. Its crazy popular and I would definitely buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Is the name of flat's mangaka pronounced Natsu Aogiri, or Natsu Seito? Question
artdjmaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Demonic+Elemental wrote:

Yeah, I believe that is the one TP has connections with...I think there may be one more company that I'm forgetting, but MG is definite. I suppose I wish more for YP because I'm guaranteed the color pages and a quality release....While with TP...They're so incredibly hit or miss these days...

Oh my gosh, the time to discuss the quality of a release is well past over. I know it would be nice for colour pages and all, but with all the troubles in the NA/UK manga industry, just be happy with what you get. Otherwise, learn Japanese.

And "hit or miss" means releases with colour pages as opposed to none? Tokyopop can only set aside colour pages for only a couple series and usually only the first couple volumes. For me, all T-pop releases have been good, colour pages or non. Their licenses are now better than the "license anything" model they use to have.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm satisfied Hajime no Ippo continues to do well.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd do anything to see Hajime no Ippo in the states, but I don't think there's a publisher who would risk it...It would be a big commitment, even if they were released in 4 volume omnibus size at a time.

It's very unfortunate. I'd at least like to see Funimation try to revitalize it in America a bit. I'd love to own the second animated series as well.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree. It was Pioneer/Genon that brought the first series and movies out years ago right?

I think the Ippo manga deserves a chance, and I'd like to see the 2nd series get a release. I still find it odd that we got some of the Ippo video games.

My only and one gripe is they can't censor it. Ippo is so hilarious with it's bromance humor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1