• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chibi Vampire: Airmail GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Wait, so this manga is already out? I thought this comes out in December?

I did have a chance to read the Maki special and while I do think it was exceptional, I do wish there was more. None, the less, I am going to buy this. I bought the then Geneon DVD's, so hopefully the Air mail manga will be fun.

I hate to say this, but it's been years since I bought anything from Tokyo Pop. Not since Love Hina and boy was that ages ago. At least Tokyo Pop is still around and still licensing manga. They've been hit hard the last three years and I am glad they are still around.

Yuna's other work Hekaki No Aion is exceptional as well, but I really liked Chibi Vampire. Perfect example of a true vampire, they DON'T and I repeat DON'T sparkle and aren't as moody as seen elsewhere.

Now if only I could tell if the book is already out...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wait, so this manga is already out? I thought this comes out in December?

You're thinking of the Chibi Vampire Fan Book. It's coming out December 28th. This short story collection is already out, though.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the warning. I'm not a "completist," so I can save my cash for something else.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Just judging what this one's about in the title "Airmail", I expected Karin to have her own radio show and she would answer questions from her fanmail. Then again, i've only seen one episode of the show so I wouldn't know what to expect Anime hyper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to point 2 things out about the review:
The final tale, “Maki, The Helping Angel of Love,” has appearances by Karin, Kenta, and Fumiko (including the volume's one true fan service shot) but primarily focus on Maki's friendship and love life beyond Karin, especially involving a male friend who never appeared in the regular series. I'm sorry but the character was mentioned in the series several times, in his first apperence he was unnamed but he grabbed usui's test results and freaked out saying " a 97 in math? what do you do, study?!" the next time we see him it's volume 8 (still unnamed) he asked Usui if the bite from kari he was hiding by keeping his collar high was a hickey.... in volume 8 he is refered to by name by maki when she tells usui to "Have Kikuchi-kun show you a dirty magazine"

I don't have the time to flip through the rest of the volumes to point out Kikuchi's appearances but they have all been very minor, forgetful and unimportant btu he's not a character that beamed in from mars, he has been there all along

another point I want to make
Kagesaki always closed out volumes with four-panel strips that were a mix of reflections on events in his life and side-points to his main storytelling, and that is no different here. Yuna Kagesaki..... is a girl...... http://manga.about.com/od/mangaartistinterviews/a/YKagesaki.htm
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I've read the preview of Airmail on Tokyopop's website and it really doesn't seem to have anything to do with Chibi Vampire other than Yuna Kagesaki's artwork. If most of the manga is like this, I don't see why it's being put in the same franchise. Still, more of Chibi Vampire is always enjoyable.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
I'm also curious what made Theron start referring to the manga-ka as a 'he' this time around, when he's said 'she' before in past reviews. Even for those who didn't know either way, it should be clear from the four-panel strips alone that the manga-ka is a woman who is into yaoi.

I was surprised as well from the deceptive marketing of this book, but I'm glad I got it because I still like it. 'Searching for my Beloved' was surprisingly unnerving yet clever especially, while 'Vampire of the West Woods' was genuinely sweet.

Here's looking forward to the Chibi Vampire fanbook as well as the first volume of her next series I'm going to follow, Hekikai no AiON.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1