• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Titles Now Available for Rent in iTunes Store

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not the only person who finds this whole renting thing absurd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I rent movies all the time but I don't think I would ever rent an anime episode. If anything I just buy the whole box set of something I know I already love. Its good to see them trying to find more ways to make a profit, I hope this does well for them. I am sure 99 cents an episode will add up over time.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

What's more striking is that for a few dollars more per month, they not only have access to the entire FUNimation catalog online, but it never expires and there's so much more than just an episode.

Of course, this is nothing compared to those who'd actually use this service.

I wonder if anyone will and if so, will ANN post it under News or Interest.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth would anyone rent these things? (especially when there are free legal streaming options for some of these shows)

And even if you were somehow dumb enough to want to "rent" a digital video clip that you can watch online at any time for free, the price is silly.

For Ouran, you'd be paying $24 to rent the whole show for 30 days. I bought a permanent, physical blu-ray version of the entire series for $30.

I'm all for experimenting in ways to sell anime online, but I'm pretty sure this is a shining example of How Not To Do It.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
For those just getting into anime I think this is an excellent idea for getting your feet wet (as it were). Apple's iTunes dig. dist. is a juggernaut around the world, already well known to a HUGE audience (the vast majority of whom might not know about or even seen anime) who're familiar with how the service works, PLUS iTunes gets a crazy amount of traffic. Add to that the cost (rent a 24 min. ep for the price of a song -people are already conditioned to and accept that price structure for their entertainment) and I think they've got a brilliant way to reach a much, much broader audience.

Frankly, I'm surprised they hadn't done this sooner, although I imagine the details of licensing were a beast to hammer out, so that everyone that should got paid.

Again, this move to iTunes isn't for the established anime fan or collector whom already are keyed into anime and know where to get it, but for the uninitiated or curious. Pooh-poohing it is damned silly (because the service and Funi's intentions aren't aimed at you, rather new fans or potential consumers).

A genius move, Funi.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
Too bad it's probably only dubbed versions.

Oran High School is unwatchable dubbed.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
For those just getting into anime I think this is an excellent idea for getting your feet wet (as it were). ...

Again, this move to iTunes isn't for the established anime fan or collector whom already are keyed into anime and know where to get it, but for the uninitiated or curious. Pooh-poohing it is damned silly (because the service and Funi's intentions aren't aimed at you, rather new fans or potential consumers).

A genius move, Funi.

True dat.

TheZeonicFront wrote:
Too bad it's probably only dubbed versions.

Sigh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1