• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Submit Summer Wars for Oscar Nomination

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedyDee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
It would be cool if it was nominated but I think Toy Story 3 is going to win best animated film
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
A nomination is pretty awesome in itself. Good Luck Funimation! =)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
Best of luck to them, hope that a few more films get in so there's five spots not three, even though Toy Story 3 is probably going to win mostly because it's Toy Story.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
I doubt it'd even qualify for a Nomination.

Besides that, it's a brain-dead-giveaway that Toy Story 3, and Pixar once more, will claim another Oscar.

The only other person/studio out there who can even virtually compete with Pixar is Miyazaki & Ghibli.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Would be awesome to see this on the nomination list despite the inevitable Toy Story 3 win.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
obviously this means FUNimation won't try to run Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 against their own Summer Wars.......but hey, Summer Wars stood a better chance of actually getting through the first nomination round. Better for the industry as a whole if Summer Wars gets a nod, more attention to anime.
Modandrocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
I definitely am glad they're going for a nom. I loved the film and am seeing it again in a couple of weeks in theaters. As much as I think Toy Story may win, How to Train Your Dragon has a HUGE amount of love this year also and did some things BETTER than TS3.

Agree with the V dude. More attention, the better.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm very pleased that this is happening. If there's any genuinely good anime movie that screams "floodgate-opening mainstream appeal", it's Summer Wars. Obviously Toy Story 3 is going to win, but a nomination would be just swell.

I just worry about the dub. From FUNimation's trailer, it sounds pretty stilted in that you-know-you're-listening-to-a-dub-when-you-hear-it way, which is unfortunate. That sort of thing can easily cause loss of emotional resonance, at least for me.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
You know I'm glad that FUNimation is at least trying to get it up there for best animated but lets be frank here, its not gonna win, and anyone who thinks otherwise has never seen an academy awards ceremony, its embarrassing that we even give half a shit about this awards show anymore considering how they pander to one or 2 movies the entire time and wouldn't give an award to the real deserving movies if there lives depended on it, not that Summer Wars doesn't at least deserve the nomination but its a waste of time, if anime can't even win an annie, how the fudge are they even gonna stand a chance at the academy awards? lol
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
At the absolute bare minimum this deserves a nomination
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
That's unexpected, hopefully there successful at doing so, it wont win but it would definitely give some much needed exposure to anime right now. I just hope Funimation is not putting serious money into this though as from what I understand it takes some serious money to get a film nominated (though maybe Zac and the ANNCast guys can go into it in further detail on that process).
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

I just worry about the dub. From FUNimation's trailer, it sounds pretty stilted in that you-know-you're-listening-to-a-dub-when-you-hear-it way, which is unfortunate. That sort of thing can easily cause loss of emotional resonance, at least for me.

I thought it wasn't bad. But I like Brina Palencia's roles so it's hard for me to not like something she's in.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
I dont what is the point of doing this Anime movie hardly ever win and with that crappy Toy Story 3 out it got no chance
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Modandrocker wrote:
I definitely am glad they're going for a nom. I loved the film and am seeing it again in a couple of weeks in theaters. As much as I think Toy Story may win, How to Train Your Dragon has a HUGE amount of love this year also and did some things BETTER than TS3.

Agree with the V dude. More attention, the better.

I think how to train a dragon was a much better film as well. For me I only really enjoyed TOy story 3 as a nostalgia trip, nothing more.

I haven't seen Summer Wars but it would be good if it could get nominated :] We need the exposure.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Unless they submit it with the original Japanese. Persepolis was nominated in the original French (and got an announcement at the Oscars that played the Animation Ghetto card so blatantly I wanted to slug whoever wrote it).

I liked Toy Story 3. I think it was the weakest of the trilogy, but that's like saying it got an A- to the A+ of the first two. I would love to see Pixar get a run for its money, though; we need more diversity in America. But that challenge is more likely to come from How To Train Your Dragon than from Summer Wars. Not because the former is better than the latter (I've seen neither) but because the Oscars are all about campaigning and not quality. You know that, I know that, let's not kid ourselves here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4