• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blockbuster

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Blockbuster has a good selection of anime to rent and/or buy?
bubble

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
They're okay for renting... I'd buy somewhere else. Online is good if you know where to get relatively cheap stuff without gettinbg a bootleg.

It really depends on the blockbuster. I've heard that some, if not all, Blockbusters do have a policy where you can't rent anime, not even the G-rated stuff, until you're eightteen. Which sucks, but I've never experienced it myself, because my parents always rent everything.

I always go to a different local store which has a better selection. Bloackbusters in my area tend to have more kiddy or mainstream stuff (DBZ, Pokemon, Digimon), but they also have some other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
Your blockbuster's anime selection depends on your own blockbuster. Before an anime fan was hired at my blockbuster, they had about four anime titles for rent. Now I have a couple shelfs to pick from. I hear the blockbuster in a city 40 miles from me has an even bigger selection.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
Every Blockbuster that I've been to in my city has very small sections for anime, if any at all, and I rent at Hollywood anyways. The anime there is all VHS and is mixed in with the "Special Interest" section, but it has some really old tapes that are very hard to find, so I'm not complaining.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I personally, don't like to rent anime. But, I did when the DVD version of Poltergiest Report wasn't available. Me and my friend waited over six months to get it from our local Blockbuster. We got it finally and watched it. We were not disappointed. Little did we know, that it was a Yu Yu Hakusho Movie. We had been watching Yu Yu Hakusho on CN's Adult Swim(around the time during the Saint Beast ordeal) To this day, I'm surprised that Blockbuster had it. Plus, sometimes they have really rare anime. You just gotta keep an eye out for them.
Kateonfire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The Blockbuster near me has a very small anime selection, and it's mostly the more common titles. Granted, it does have its own labeled section, but said section is just one stand a little over five feet long. Wink It probably depends on the Blockbuster.

Personally, my family doesn't rent from them in the first place because of their crapola late policy, but that's another can of worms.
nagash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
I don't go into video stores often, but I was in a Blockbuster close to my house a couple of weeks ago. I go there only when I'm looking for a movie that hasn't come out on DVD yet (an older movie that didn't have a high priority, like The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, which was the one I was going to get).
They don't have much to pick from. A gigantic game section, but not a large anime section.
West Coast Video is the same. Although they are low on games as well as anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1