• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Kuma Arashi (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Yuri Kuma Arashi (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary:
The resulting fragments became a meteor shower that rained down on Earth, and for some reason, bears all over the world rose up and attacked humanity! In "Man vs. Bear," the bears ate the humans and the humans shot the bears, resulting in a seemingly unending battle and a cycle of hatred. In the end, a giant "Wall of Extinction" was erected between the humans and bears and a state of mutual nonaggression came to pass…

The human world.

One morning, Arashigaoka Academy students Kureha Tsubaki and Sumika Izumino were by themselves and saw the "Yuri Flower" that bloomed in a flower bed. The two are friends as well as lovers. The flower bed is an important place to the two. At that moment, the Bear Alarms ring out! The bears are invading the human world, and humans are being attacked! Are they really those bears? One mystery invokes yet another mystery, one after another. The curtain rises magnificently on Yuri Kuma Arashi!
----------------------------------
Okay, the story description doesn't make any sense (seriously, are they actually going to depict 'em bears eating humans?). However, being a work of Kunihiko Ikuhara, of Revolutionary Girl Utena and Penguindrum fame, pretty damn sure there is more to the story than meets the eye.

Here's hoping there'd be some "serious" lily-themed relationships! Very Happy
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Everyday I read the premise turns out to be the weirdest thing I've seen that day, so only for that I'll watch it.

Never watched Utena or Penguindrum so this will be my debut with this director, so I hope it's at least 'representative' of his style (well, at least the premise of his shows read alone are). I never see trailers for shows so I'm only with the poster and premise, the art style doesn't appeal to me at first sight but because the reputation of this director I'll at least check it out.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I've read a chapter of the manga a long time before and heard good things about the show. I haven't seen Utena yet but have seen Penguindrum so really curious to see how the director will make this series. Definitely interested in it of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
I watched Utena over the summer and it quickly became one of my all-time favorites. I was really hyped when I heard Ikuhara had a new show coming out, and watched Penguindrum over Thanksgiving break in preparation. Can't wait, and I hope it's as good as his other works!

Although between this and Jojo's, I might die of camp.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
This seems rather premature for this series thread to be made (plus a couple other ones) considering it won't start until January.

Unless someone went to that special showing in Japan last weekend where they showed the first episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
First episode is out!

Not going to lie, the OP song was quite something. This was appealing imo in a rather unorthodox way. And given the direction of the show, I think we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet. It was unbearably fun!

spoiler[Let the judgement begin.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
(sees two characters nibbling each others feet in the OP)

....................(twitch)

Damn my yuri testosterone >.>
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Has Funi streamed this yet? I can't find it, at least not on the app.

Edit: Answered on Talkback, 1st ep streams on Wed (and according to Funi the rest will be on Mondays)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
It was some kind of completely insane mixture of prancing cutesy girls, flowers, dripping honey, gnashing bear teeth, and court drama. I have no idea where I just went, but I think I am back now...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yes, yuri!...... What?

After trying to analyse it a bit in my head, it is a monster eating people anime through the lens of a soft yuri anime. So we get forbidden relationships, cutesy designs (especially with bears)m friendship, and imagery if a lily with nectar to show the kind of mature scenes.

These two thing directly go against each other in my mind, it would be like watching Sasameki Koto, and then someone suddenly gets chomped by a parasyte or Titan. It kind of confuses my body, on one hand I love yuri, I could even like it if it existed in a monster anime, but monsters in a yuri anime is just odd and makes me a feel a little upset. They were spoiler[eating her girlfriend].

Oddly for the type of anime, the noteworthy part I liked was spoiler[when the three bishounens showed up, shaba-da-doo].
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo: You sure? I don't think I'll ever recover from this Laughing

The yuri theme is obvious. I hope that the actual story will provide enough substance for this show to be anything better than, let's say, Sakura Kiss. Judging by who made this, you'd expect something deeper than 'roar, bears and humans are now cute yuri girls, recipe for drama and then KISS'! Or spoiler[lick each other's female organs, as that is what this show seems to imply with 'the bears eating Kureha' actually being the bear girls licking the female reproductive part (pistil) of the flower.]

Add spoiler[Ave Maria] and insanity is complete. I wonder if any other weird shows have used that composition. I know Humanity has Declined used it. But that was a zany show in a different way.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
The art was nice.
Story was weird.
All girls and bears pretending to be girls.
Apparently bears eat humans.
Yeah... too confusing & weird.
Skipping it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and I have a question. Does this show poke fun at Attack on Titan? I have never watched Attack on Titan, but I know that there is a wall there, and titans that attack people, so it seems to me that it does.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was surprisingly straightforward.... outside of the spoiler[Judgemens scene, where we went straight to wackyland - why are they nomming on her metaphorically when they're going at everybody else literally?]

@Aylinn:

I didn't see anything that came to mind.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well this is absolutely strange and that is the only way I can think out right now to describe this show. My mind feels like I just finished a night of heavy drinking and am trying to piece everything together again the next day to remember what I did in my drunken haze.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8