• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Notable SciFi anime and manga in Australia

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hi All,

So here's a trickier one for discussion. What science-fiction anime and manga titles do you feel have been notable to Australian fans over the years? For example, Gundam is a fairly notable scifi title, but to Australia (from what I know) it has only really started to take in the past few years.

And to make it more difficult, I'm taking Neon Genesis Evangelion and Astro Boy off the table, we all know those two.

Go!
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
I don't live in Australia, but I sure am jealous that you can buy licensed versions of Dennou Coil in your country!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
I probably won't have much of a helpful opinion due to not taking a big part in social stuff, but I think Code Geass is relatively notable for its cosplay popularity.

Dragonball Z is science-fiction, and I know that a very large portion of younger Aussies are familiar with it.

Although possibly not of much importance, I think Zoids had a bit of a following when I was in primary school *calculating in my head* that was a bit more than 10 years or something. We had those moving figures and such, as young kids we had games about them, and I think it was a bit of a window move into the giant robot anime. Though ther are likely other robot anime for other age groups.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1