• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
persons vs. groups vs. companies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:11 am Reply with quote
CLAMP is listed both as a person (well, a group of persons actually) and a company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quote
CLAMP ("person" #5765) and CLAMP (company #47) are the same group, but under two different entries.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
CLAMP ("person" #5765) and CLAMP (company #47) are the same group, but under two different entries.

It's about time and it finally happens: after nine pages of replies, people begin to submit duplicates that have been submitted but not yet dealt with. (sigh) Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:

It's about time and it finally happens: after nine pages of replies, people begin to submit duplicates that have been submitted but not yet dealt with. (sigh) :(

Well, of course. And, in this particular instance, we can't merge people and companies; they're not exactly compatible with one another. :p

The best we can do is decide whether CLAMP is a person or a company, and then remove everything that the erroneous CLAMP is listed under and place it under the proper CLAMP instead.

OT: Heh. If we wanted, we could use the internal designation CCLAMP (for company CLAMP) and CLAMPP (CLAMP Person).. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
I say CLAMP should probably be a person. They're a group of people, not really a company (as far as I know. I'm not completely knowledgable about CLAMP). There seems to be a precedent with groups being entered under "People" section, such as singing groups for OP's and ED's.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:34 am Reply with quote
Or maybe we could merge all persons and companies under the designation "entity" Wink

Seriously though, I have no idea if clamp should be considered as a person or a company. It's true that the encyclopedia contains band names (like two-mix) as if they were a "person". But the company producing two-mix is (I believe) Warner Music Japan, not two-mix themselves; so it's pretty clear that you can't consider two-mix to be a "company". And that is pretty much how the whole Japanese music industry works. But with clamp it's another story. Unless I've misunderstood the whole thing, they are both a group (4 female manga artists) and a company (a commercial entity that sells stuff)... and I'm not sure where is the boundary between the two (or if there is any).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:36 am Reply with quote
Since we have "omnibus" for anime and manga, is it technically feasible to open a subcategory for "People" named "group artists" or something similar? Take CLAMP as an example: Nanase Ohkawa is often singled out and take credits like story or screenplay. If CLAMP is an omnibus entry, we can include individual artists (currently four) under its wing. There are many similar cases for music bands.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Or maybe we could merge all persons and companies under the designation "entity" Wink

Actually, I meant to bring that up at some point. I think we should have a new entity type caleld "group." Groups would be listed under "people," and "staff."

The "group" page would contain a list of its members (past & present) and other relevant information.

Thoughts?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree, but this would be something huge. Take your time. Wink
chris keck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:46 am Reply with quote
Tempest,

tempest wrote:
I think we should have a new entity type caleld "group." Groups would be listed under "people," and "staff."...Thoughts?

I think you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be. A "company" is just a "group" of "people" who work together for some goal (which usually involves making money). It doesn't matter if it's a relatively small group like CLAMP or a large company.

I suggest you list CLAMP as a company and the individual members of CLAMP (at least the ones that count, not the OL's and such) as people.

chris keck
chris keck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:25 am Reply with quote
A bit more thought. Since some companies are more associated with certain people, such as Studio Ghibli and Takahata and Miyazaki, you could make links from the company page to the individual people pages. On the CLAMP page you already have information on who the members are,
Quote:
...Original Members: Mokona Apapa, Satsuki Igarashi, Mick Nekoi...
You could add links to the pages for Apapa, Igarashi, etc.

Note: There is an Encyclopedia entry for Mokona Apapa (602) and one for CLAMP Mokona Apapa (13687).

Alternateively, If you wanted to be able list everyone associated with a certain company you could add a Staff field to the company page and the members could add staff names. Then your database should automatically link them.

chris keck
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I either completly agree. I guess it would be perfect for all those J-Music groups who doesn't appear at the Encyclopedia, as there's no way to put them. I was requesting that at another topic (already locked).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:55 pm Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
I think you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be. A "company" is just a "group" of "people" who work together for some goal (which usually involves making money). It doesn't matter if it's a relatively small group like CLAMP or a large company.

Unfortunately, current Companies database has only three types of information: Official Website, Foundation Date, and Anime Involved. Unless ANN Staffs overhaul the structure of Companies database and enhance it to become as capable as Anime/Manga/People, I don't think the Companies database is suitable for group artists.

Below are additional information for Companies I can think about now:

Staff members (in addition to doujinshi circle-turned-companies like CLAMP, many seiyuu formed their own agent companies, and you could see their names as chairpersons)
Kanji name
Alternative title (such as an abbreviation/acronym or full name, e.g. Toshiba was originally named Tokyo Shibaura Denki (東京芝浦電気))
Address
Telephone
Company logo
Chronology (merge, name change, location change, etc.)
Links with related companies/people
Defunct date Twisted Evil Well, sh*t happens.

By the way, having so many "XXX Production Committee" in Companies database is useless, IMO. Those "committees" are for single project only.
chris keck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:49 am Reply with quote
Dormcat,

You aren't completely correct,
dormcat wrote:

Unfortunately, current Companies database has only three types of information...
One of the three, "Other Information" which the editors have to approve, can be anything relative to the company. Using CLAMP as an example again, the Encyclopedia has a paragraph of information about the company and listing the members. If they add links to the individual member's Encyclopedia pages it would serve the function of tying together the "group" and its primary members.

One problem with the current system is that on the Encyclopedia pages all companies are listed in the "Companies" section and single contributors are listed as "Staff". I think it would make more sense to limit the Companies listing to only those companies that have some ownership of the title; producer, distributor, etc. Then list both individual staff and other companies that worked on the title together in a single "Contributors" listing.

One problem I can see with a "group" entry is what do you do for people who have credits both as part of the group and on their own? Are you going to list all of their information once on the group page and a second time on their individual page?

chris keck
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:23 am Reply with quote
chris keck wrote:
One of the three, "Other Information" which the editors have to approve, can be anything relative to the company.

That will add 10x workload to Staffs and will take *cough* forever to be approved, according to my experience for submitting numerous "Other Information" for anime/manga/people. Don't want to blame the Staffs, but having to-do lists so long it is impossible for them to complete verifying Other Information quickly.

chris keck wrote:
One problem I can see with a "group" entry is what do you do for people who have credits both as part of the group and on their own? Are you going to list all of their information once on the group page and a second time on their individual page?

IMHO following patterns of "Omnibus" in anime or "Magazines" in manga would be fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2