• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problem submitting a manga title

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
There is a manga called "Karin" which I just tried to submit to the encyclopedia. The problem is, the encyclopedia already has a manga with the same name, and of course, that's the message I got when I tried to submit this. However, the Karin I'm trying to submit is a completely different manga from the existing one. Anime dazed

Here's a site with some info...
http://www.jupiterstar.com/moscribbles/archives/000817.html
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Here's the official site: http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/fujimi/sp/webage/karin/

That should prove I'm not making this up, right? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I'm eager to add this title to My Manga, so I hope something can be done about the "no anime/manga with the same title as another manga/anime allowed" thing…
Also, I'm sorry for my double-post, but this thread was making it's way down the page pretty quickly, and the issue still hadn't been addressed. Embarassed
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Splitting a title involves the basic structure of the database. Maybe you could add a vintage label, e.g. Astro Boy and Astro Boy [2003], as a temporary measure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
What I'd suggest is submitting something like this: Karin (manga [by Yuna Kagezaki]). This will allow it to be accepted into the que. A similar situation was had with two different manga entitled Doll, which are now listed in the Encyclopedia as such:

Doll [by Fuyumi Soryu]
DOLL [by Mitsukazu Mihara]
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
What I'd suggest is submitting something like this: Karin (manga [by Yuna Kagezaki]). This will allow it to be accepted into the que.

Thank you! I just submitted it using the method you suggested. Anime catgrin
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
Done.

In the future, please submit dual titles thus:

<Title> [by <authorname in Western style>] (<type>)

We now have:
- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually I think it's better to put the author's name next to the type and keep the title "clean":

<Title> (<type> by <authorname in Western style>)

And we now have:
* Karin (manga by Masumi Kawasou)
* Karin (manga by Yuna Kagezaki)

This is in the same line as
* Mobile Police Patlabor - The New Files (OAV 2)
* Konchu Monogatari Minashigo Hutch (TV 3)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
You're right - that looks a damn sight better.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Actually I think it's better to put the author's name next to the type and keep the title "clean":

<Title> (<type> by <authorname in Western style>)

And we now have:
* Karin (manga by Masumi Kawasou)
* Karin (manga by Yuna Kagezaki)

Can't be done. While examples like "OAV 2" or "TV 3" are avaiable, "Keyword precision" is limited to 20 characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought I'd just re-use my old thread, since I'm having another problem submitting a title. There's a new manga by CLAMP called "Kobato (Temporary)" that I'm having a problem submitting, because of the parentheses in the title. I submitted it as, Kobato (Temporary) (manga) which I thought it probably wouldn’t accept before I even tried it. Since the encyclopedia uses parentheses to indicate the type of material being submitted, it tells me I'm using an invalid format. The Japanese title is こばと(仮), so as you can see, the parentheses are actually part of the title. I didn't want to submit it without the parentheses as just "Kobato Temporary," because I didn't know if that would be alright, as the parentheses are supposed to be there. Something like that is up to the staff, not me.

Sites
Here's Monthly Sunday GX's (the magazine this is published in) Kobato (Temporary) site: http://websunday.net/gx/sakuhin/sa_index.html

All I can find on CLAMP's official site is the release info: http://www.clamp-net.com/headline/main.html#kobato
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
try using [] instead of () ^^
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
For a while there I was hoping that "Kobato (temporary)" really only meant that "Kobato" was their working title for the manga, but no, those parenteses really seem to part of the official title. Since it's such a special case, I've approved it and added the parentheses to the title. I had to cheat, though. Those parentheses are written using the special characters ( and ) Anime smile + sweatdrop

*sigh*
That's the problem with trying to build a structured database like this; life keeps throwing those weird exception cases at you, stuff that just breaks your fundamental exception. Like putting parentheses in a title, or weird symbols at the beginning of a title, or coming up with weird release schemes e.g. the 26th tv episode is really an OVA mixed with parts of the upcoming movie.
*sigh*

dormcat wrote:

Can't be done. While examples like "OAV 2" or "TV 3" are avaiable, "Keyword precision" is limited to 20 characters.

ROTFLOL! I absolutely never thought a case like this would arise.
So I guess we'll have to be creative and keep it under 20 characters, e.g.
* Karin (manga by M. Kawasou)
* Karin (manga by Y. Kagezaki)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1