• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach Audit or name correction

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I was just going through the Bleach page in the Encyclopedia to write down the cast names so that I can make a hard copy list for me to refer to while watching the anime.

In writing down the character names, in the English cast list the names are in the Western mode: First Name then Last Name.

But on the Japanese cast, the names are using both Western or Eastern: Last Name then First Name. I'm sure it depended on who entered the name.

I have to say it's confusing as all get out. Is there a way that the Bleach page can be audited so that the names are using the same naming method (East or West) in the indiviual sections.

Looking for the various names was...interesting as well as time consuming since I had to look for each character using last name first or first name first.

I really hope that this makes sense.

Thanks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
It's been like that for a while. I remember browsing through it some time ago (when I was still a fan of the franchise, damn Kubo). But when the series was still coming out, I guess someone who was stuck in the way of Japanese name order decided to enter the characters' names that way as well.

Personally, I'd prefer if everything was entered in Eastern order just for the sake of cultural preservation and technicalities ("when in Rome" as the saying goes, not to mention Hollywood has become an accidental martyr in actually keeping certain Chinese names in the right order), but in the West, you have to submit to Westernization or get ridiculed for being different, so... to bad.

In this case, it's probably just the hassle of having to go through and change all the names again that's kept the entry like this for so long.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It's been like that for a while.

It really is. Cool

I'd like to keep them all in Western order, at least for characters born during and after Meiji Era, following Wikipedia Manual of Style. Just think of nameless characters (e.g. "student A"): you don't input the role as "gakusei A", right? Wink

BTW: shall we apply Wiki rules of Chinese names as well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1