• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seirei no Moribito - fan thread (w/ update).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
As you all would know by now, I'm like the biggest fan of this show.Smile(?)

I have been reading comments, reviews and other information about what people think of the anime because I'm thinking that the success of this anime will reflect on the probability of the producers to make the next book into an anime. Most have been positive comments but there is something that people say that bother me a bit.

They say it lets down after the third episode because there is not enough action. I've been worried because it is true that people, especially young/teen boys love to see violence, which is the main target of this show. Some say that the show is slow and there is too much talking. I would say that this show is not much of a show that puts emphasis on fighting. Also, people need to understand that Balsa avoids killing people, making her want to avoid fighting because of spoiler[her vow to save people and kill no one], (even though she can kill many people if she wanted to. Haha. ).

So bottom-line is this show has more to offer than just some over-powered fighting and women main characters wearing revealing clothes; it has nice music, scenery, dialogue(?) and the plot and character portrayal is very vital.

So if you like an intriguing tale, a little action, some culture and a well made show that is more than just killing and fighting, then it is for you. It's really like a book that turned into anime...oh wait, it is. If you like action and that kind of stuff then my recommendations are playing video games like: Max Payne, Counter Strike: Source (which I've played and are very good.)

I'm just saying, so for all the haters out there, yea...

Any thoughts guys? Come on this post isnt that long, you can read it.

[EDIT: Your initial title sounded more like you were asking, rather than stating, so I changed the wording. -TK]

Thank you TK sir.

Last edited by ryuzaki11 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
So far, i have enjoyed this series. I wouldn't say it's amazing though. It does have an ok story line and political backing, and the few action scenes that it does have are nicely done. Plus, it has very clean art, which is some times hard to come by. I'm not quite sure why, but this series hasn't really captivated me. But I think that it's entertaining and I'm sad that Adult Swim isn't airing it now (I was watching it as it premiered on [as]). I hope Adult Swim starts it up again so that I can finish it. But I'm not sure if I'll buy it or not, I'm still deciding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah I see, that's good. I couldn't wait for the english dubs hehe. Rolling Eyes

I would buy it but I have no money and I would wait for the other episodes but yea...I should buy it...

By the way, I'm severely impressed with my avatar, It's like i didn't make it, well the picture I didn't make but I added some stuff...???

Lol. off topic sorry.

Last edited by ryuzaki11 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of this show as well, but even for me it was a bit of a let down when they abruptly went from "adventure mode" to "episodic mode". The momentum came to a screeching halt. However, all the episodes were so incredibly interesting that it didn't bother me as much as it did with Production I.G.'s 2008 summer project, Real Drive. I am eagerly looking forward to the paperback version of the novel as I'm curious to know if the story does the same about face there as well.

Another criticism I've read is that antagonists are too "nice" or idealistic. The way that the coin tossers react to having their secret revealed has been cited as an example. Personally, this doesn't bother me in the least. If characters are portrayed this way because it's supposed to be a children's story, then so be it. You can't fault it for being true to its audience.

On the other hand, one of the greatest things I found about the story is that there were no "bad guys". All of the antagonists were simply doing what they felt was right, resulting in conflict when various groups disagreed. I abosultely loved the episode where spoiler[Balsa and Chagum visit the sword smith and overhear their previous opponents talking about her with such respect.] Even the La Lunga were spoiler[simply carrying out an important mystical/ecological purpose.]

I wouldn't be too worried about negative criticisms of the show. I think for the most part it's been received well. You'll see a number of people comment about the slow pace on the Adult Swim forums, but I get the feeling that's simply because those viewers watch AS expecting a different type of show.

Mushi-man wrote:
I'm not quite sure why, but this series hasn't really captivated me.

Funny how it goes sometimes. This show completely enraptured me when I started watching it.

I sort of doubt Production I.G. will continue with the novel series, simply because it's so long (10 novels I think?). It would be a huge commitment to take on 9 more 26 episode series following one story, but at least it seems the other novels will be translated. Guardian of the Darkness is available for pre-order right now. I am curious to know which of I.G.'s two new series will be produced in the same vein as Moribito and Real Drive though.
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh yea I forgot that, about antagonists...ehehehe...

Maybe they should just make movies out of the other books huh... I don't know.

I am really looking forward to reading the next book of the series but it won't come out till like March, Barnes and Noble said to me. I guess I'll have to be patient.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first episode of Moribito, and it was amazing. The animation and voice acting (dubbed) was great. I also really liked the begining of the plot.
I'm holding out on buying it until I've read the book and I know the rest of it has been dubbed and the 4th DVD has been released. I've heard rumors that Media Blasters has had some trouble dubbing the rest of the show after they acquired it from Geneon. Can anybody confirm/deny that?

Tangent: My Shakespeare Class watched the BBC's version of Richard II. There was a spear fight near the end, and it was incredibly poorly done. I kept thinking of the confrontation between Balsa and the guards in that episode, and cringed at the comparison. That was probably the only time when I thought anime was better than Shakespeare.
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
According to the update on this news item: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-16/adult-swim-removes-moribito-from-weekend-schedule it looks like the DVD release should continue just fine, it's just the [AS] broadcast that is in question.
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
...That was probably the only time when I thought anime was better than Shakespeare.

Well said comrade.

farruinn wrote:
According to the update on this news item: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-16/adult-swim-removes-moribito-from-weekend-schedule it looks like the DVD release should continue just fine, it's just the [AS] broadcast that is in question.

Oh, I didn't know about that. So DVDs will release just fine which is great. Wink

I should make a SnM fan website, maybe there's one I could just join in...anyone know?
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Actually it would appear that Media Blasters is reevaluating their release strategy for Moribito. There might be a lull after the release of Volume three while they figure out how to proceed.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Do you have a source for that, Terf?

ryuzaki11 wrote:
Some say that the show is slow and there is too much talking.

I wouldn't worry about it, Ryuzaki. The same people say the same thing about Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Ben Hur...

I'm with you. I think that this is one of the best shows to come along in years. I'm glad that I have the complete fansubs to tide me over until I can get the dvds, because this is a show I will watch more than twice. I've always been a sucker for Shinto folklore and this one hits the mark.

I haven't heard about any fan forums for this show, but if you find a good one, I'd be happy to join it too, and if you don't we can start one.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:

Is there any idea as to why Adult Swim is doing this all of a sudden. It makes no sense for them to do this. A few days before this news was released, I was on the Adult Swim website. I check the schedule and they were planing on going through the rest of the series, they had new episodes on the schedule. And then suddenly this, what happened?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Those are questions better suited to that thread, Mushi-Man, and you should have posted them there (after reading the thread of course). The gist of it is that no one seems to know because, even after more than a week and as far as I know, Adult Swim hasn't said a word about it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hm. It's a shame that this happened. The only thing that I can think of is that it I heard that Moribito wasn't doing to good in the slots that it was given. They might have pulled it to make room for other things. If this is the case then it's going to get hard for me to continue with the series. I'm going to have to buy it or something.
ryuzaki11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It is pretty hard to get alot of viewers in the middle of the freaking night... But yea, this [as] stuff is more suited in that News thread...

A fan site, I have no idea how to start one though. I'll need some help with it...

Oh and people, I guess you can discuss here anything about the anime's story etc. because it is now officially a fan thread? I am not certain.
demonroach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
great series, hope there is a sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2