• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro Condoms Sold in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
would most of the people who would buy this kind of product even have the opportunity to use it? I assumed most otaku in japan were more of the loner, outcast type.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I believe the following sums up how I feel about this...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this pointless beyond being a collectors item? The otaku certainly can't put them to their real use.
chickenwing71x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, maybe they can use it for fmp-esque water storage? Other than that, I can't think of any other uses a social outcast would have for it.

Obligatory grammatical nitpick:

"Both versions are being at stores in Tokyo's Akihabara..."

Maybe it should be "being sold at stores"?
rinjichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Despite the silliness that is this product as a whole, it's also rather humorous that a bunch of people on an anime forum are so sure that their Japanese counterparts never get laid.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
GODDAMMIT MY EYES! AAAAHHHH!!! BRAIN SCRUB, BRAIN SCRUB, BRAIN SCRUB Anime hyper

But seriously, wow. I will never get why they release condoms, CONDOMS to promote anime. What's next, Solid Snake brand condoms?
SeiyuuOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Some people have no idea you have to use condom when using fleshlight.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
SeiyuuOtaku wrote:
Some people have no idea you have to use condom when using fleshlight.

Laughing Oh man...the last thing I want is a pregnant pleasure device.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Those could sell. They would sell better if they included a battery operated sound chip with someone moaning on it. It would be funny to display the condom sets along with the anime figurine collections, especially if the condom is missing. Laughing
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh man...the last thing I want is a pregnant pleasure device.[/quote]

I wouldn't have a problem with it, just more fleshlights for me. Wait....that would be incest then wouldn't it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
rinjichan wrote:
Despite the silliness that is this product as a whole, it's also rather humorous that a bunch of people on an anime forum are so sure that their Japanese counterparts never get laid.

The otaku aren't our Japanese counterparts, they take it to another level. There's a reason why otaku is a word that's used with spite, because they did it to themselves. Running around wearing terrible clothes, with backpacks, cameras, etc. and saying how they hate 3d and WHATEVER-TAN MOOOEEEE~~~. I'd say your average American nerd has a far greater chance of either getting laid, going steady, or getting married. We see nerd couples all the time. Otaku and fujoshi don't get along the same way.

Oh and I forgot to mention before but why would they make condoms anyway? I thought Japan had the fastest aging population and fastest declining birth rate on the planet. The last thing they'd want to do is promote any kind of anti-pregnancy into the population. And no, condoms aren't good for preventing STDs.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
You know, I kinda half expected there would be an Evangelion brand shaped like an entry plug.

And now I must return to hell.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
would most of the people who would buy this kind of product even have the opportunity to use it?

As was pointed out, there are "masturbatory aids" where the use of a condom is recommended (Real Doll's probably fall into this category, and there are some very disturbing anime real dolls out there). Otaku also have money for hookers... in fact, I wonder if there's a difference between how many times the average Otaku uses the services of a prostitute compared to non-otaku.

Would it be higher for Otaku because many Otaku them have a hard time getting girls? Or would it be lower because many of them are too shy to procure the services of a prostitute?

Finally we have the Kousaka type otaku that really have no problems getting girls... Although I wonder if pulling out a eroge condom might possibly have undesired effect with the women (making them flee in horror or burst out laughing).

-t
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This topic is going to be weird no matter what...might as well revel in the WTF. Wink

To Chris: holy shit, Japanese otaku have the cash to have a "happy ending" (i.e., get a prostitute)? I knew they probably had mad cash, but I had no clue. There's something messed up about that, you know? Whereas most Americans who call themselves "otaku" are probably barely able to afford their weekly diet of pocky.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro themed condoms. Neutral It's quite ironic given that no one in the anime adaptation ever bothered to use one. Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3