• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Neighbors the Yamadas error report (complete; duplicates)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
I encourage an Encyclopedist to visit that My Neighbors the Yamadas page as my contributions to that page are complete now.

Most credits are based on the English-only credits at The Hayao Miyazaki Web, and about half of the persons had no Kanji names. Based on the JMDB page for this movie and http://www.ghibli-freak.net/yamada/staff.html they reveal a couple of Kanji misreadings, thus causing a number of duplicate persons with their only staff entry for this movie:
  • Suzuka HIGA (no Kanji, 1 staff as In-Between Animation) is a Kanji misreading duplicate of
    Suzuka HIYOSHI (比喜鈴鹿, 1 staff as Fine Line)
    as 比喜 allows the readings "Hiki" and "Hiyoshi". Unfortunately, JMDB is the only source even for 比喜鈴鹿, and has no Hiragana.
    "Higa" would require Kanji 比嘉 (as the most similarly looking ones of several possibilities).

• Mai TAKASATO (no Kanji, 1 staff as In-Between Animation) is a spelling error duplicate of
    Mai NAKAZATO (中里舞, 6 staff as In-Between Animation)
    as 中里 allows the readings "Nakazato", "Nakasato" and "Nakazatomachi". No Google hit for these Kanji plus any of its possible pronunciations though.

• Emiko IWAYAGI (no Kanji, 1 staff as In-Between Animation) is a spelling error duplicate of
    Emiko IWAYANAGI (岩柳恵美子, 20 staff as In-Between Animation).
    岩柳 allows only one reading "Iwayanagi". No Google hit on these Kanji plus the Hiragana though. But "Iwayagi" is no Japanese name according to EDICT.

• Hideyoshi HAMASU (no Kanji, 1 staff as Key Animation) is a different Kanji reading duplicate of
    Hideki HAMASU (浜洲英喜, 20+ staff as Key Animation)
    as 英喜 allows both readings. There's a few Google pages on the combination of Kanji and Hiragana but apparently nothing usable for our purpose.

• Atsuko OHTAN (no Kanji, 1 staff as Key Animation) is a spelling error duplicate of
    Atsuko OTANI (大谷敦子, 13 staff as Key Animation).
    大谷 allows both readings of "Otani" and "Ootani" (amongst others); Google doesn't show any page with that kanji plus "おたに" so apparently there's no reliable source for the pronunciation available.

• Kazumi INASHIRO (no Kanji, 1 staff as Music Producer) is a Kanji misreading duplicate of
    Kazumi INAKI (稲城和実, 6 staff as Music Production).
    稲城 allows the readings "Inaki", "Inagi" and "Toujou". Google on these Kanji plus いなき (Inaki) produces exactly one hit, an interview with Kazumi Inaki about the Ghibli movie Gedo Senki.
    "Inashiro" would require the Kanji 稲代 (as its only possibility according to EDICT).

• Hideshi INOUE (no Kanji, 2 staff as Sound Arrangement) is a different Kanji reading duplicate of
    Shuji INOUE (井上秀司, 15 staff as Sound Arrangement)
    as 秀司 allows both readings. The Allcinema page for 井上秀司 gives a reading of いのうえ(INOUE) しゅうじ(Shuuji).

• Masashi INOUE (no Kanji, 1 staff as CG Production) is a different Kanji reading duplicate of
    Masafumi INOUE (井上雅史, 5 staff as CG Production)
    as 雅史 allows both readings.

• Miki SATOU (佐藤美貴, 1 cast in a Bleach Musical special + 1 staff as CG Production in Yamadas for which she has the wrong Kanji) is not a duplicate of
    Miki SATO (佐藤美樹, 6 staff as CG Production / Digital Animation) even though they share the same image (which is from this page about Bleach, and apparently for the cast person only). I'd bet they're two separate persons, and the "Yamadas" credit is simply wrong like so many others based on information from that Miyazaki page.
    The cast person has her own Wikipedia page where a reading of さとう(SATOU) みき(Miki) is provided.
    But as SATOU Miki is the correct romanization for both persons (while SATO would be a different but still valid name despite both being permanently mixed up in the ANN database) they should be renamed to "SATOU Miki (cast)" and "SATOU Miki (staff)" respectively.

• Shinta FURUTA (no Kanji, 1 cast in The Yamadas) is a Kanji misreading duplicate of
    Arata FURUTA (古田新太, 4 cast in several Ghibli works)
    as 新太 allows exactly these two readings.

• Kazuaki ITO (伊藤和, 6 staff as Planning / Production Committee, 15 cast roles) is apparently more than one person. The Production Committee person in The Yamadas is credited as 伊藤和 which can also be read as "Kazuaki". And the cast person (いとうITO かずあきKazuaki、1950-10-15) has his own Wikipedia page showing his Naruto role but nothing like a Ghibli producer task.

• Akira SAITOU (2 staff as Special Effects, 1 cast as Ghibli Booster) is apparently more than one person. The Ghibli Cast person in The Yamadas is credited as 斉藤 while the Special Effects person is 斉藤 according to the given source. (Both given names can be read in about 10 different ways, and "Akira" is one of these for both but their exact name is anything but certain.)

A few other staff members have Roumaji names that are impossible based on their Kanji names; I flagged these as errors within the person's entry but sadly forgot to write them down separately (as ANN didn't have an entry for those Kanji yet which I could have credited for this movie, so I gave the Kanji to the already exiting person despite the slight discrepancy) and can't find those entries again to list them here as well.

------------------------------

Encouraged by this forum discussion I made use of the feature of entering staff descriptions in Kanji form (that will now require an English translation):
  • 内線作画 (inner line - animation) = ? (Apparently not "In-Between Animation" because there were lots of credits for this one as well.)
  • 制作担当 (work - in charge) = Production Manager?
  • 配給担当 (distribution - in charge): ?
  • 海外プロモート担当 = Overseas Promotion
  • 動画 (moving image) = In-Between animation
  • 原画 (original picture) = Key Animation
  • 出版担当 (publication - in charge) = Publishing Development? (That's what these people are credited for in other Ghibli productions.)
    内線作画:
  • 宣伝プロデューサー = Advertising Producer (That's what all 10 people of this type are already credited for.)
  • デジタルフィルム I/O = Digital Film I/O
  • 製作委員会 = Production Committee
  • 技術協力 (Art collaboration) = ?
  • 協力 (Cooperation / Collaboration) = ?
  • 整音 (arrange - sound) = Sound Effects?
(translation suggestions inspired by

Last edited by Devil Doll on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:46 pm; edited 9 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for sorting them up, yet I wonder why there are so many mistakes in this and Binbou Shimai Monogatari. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm currently hunting likely candidates for erroneous sources. The Yamadas with its English-only source despite being a popular Ghibli movie was a sure bet (and I'm not even finished...).

Last edited by Devil Doll on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:

The other sources of which I am aware are:

• Jan Scott-Frazier's Various Positions in the Anime Industry
• AIC's Introduction of anime production (incomplete)
• Sunrise's The Making of Animation

Edit: Oops—I did not see your post in the "Some suggestions about submitting cast and staff" thread.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I think all these resources were mentioned in that big "errors" thread here somewhere that was spawned, IIRC, by some sort of argument with 2ch over the encyclopedia, who was credited, and in what order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I think all these resources were mentioned in that big "errors" thread here somewhere that was spawned, IIRC, by some sort of argument with 2ch over the encyclopedia, who was credited, and in what order.

Yes, they were (I looked up the thread last night in regards to Seishoujyo's writing credits), but I reposted them because Devil Doll may be unaware of them or that thread—s/he hasn't been posting here that long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1