• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds More Anime to Veoh Video Website

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
Awesome! The only title that I would consider watching I already have, but hopefully they will add more, veoh is a great site, I'm looking forward to this!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
This is good, we need more of these kind of announcements. So help get the word out!
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
Go! Go! FUNi-Rangers!
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
Nice one, some very good titles there....go Funi!...^^
Gin Ryo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
veoh? favored by funimation? will veoh turn out to be crunchyroll? will it only stream legal vids?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
Awesome Funimation. Hopefully more School Rumble episodes will be added eventually.
loka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
thanks funimation!
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
hendou wrote:
veoh? favored by funimation? will veoh turn out to be crunchyroll? will it only stream legal vids?

Funny when you think about it, veoh has at least as much anime on it as crunchyroll ever did. Still, Considering that most of these shows are available on sites like hulu and joost already I find it doubtful that things will go in that direction. I'm also left wondering if veoh is paying for this, or is funny just popping them up there? Would kind be like spitting in hulu's face if that's the case imo.

It is worth noting that they are most likely US only because funi only has those distribution rights.

Last edited by babbo on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
TV Shows are not available for viewing ouside of the US
Well, that meens I won't be using that site leagaly then.
Ligene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
I can finally decide whenever or not Ghost Hunt is worth the purchase now! Laughing
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Ligene wrote:
I can finally decide whenever or not Ghost Hunt is worth the purchase now! Laughing
Based on the dub? Cherami Leigh's Mai is a little too nasal for my likes; couldn't really make it through more than a couple eps, it's passable if you need a dub, but I'm not sure I'd want to base a purchase on it. I'm kinda left wishing that they were putting up some of the sub as well for comparison purposes. Slayers has a pretty lackluster dub for instance imo <.<
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
Well I can understand the reasoning for a dub only distribution like that, it's to avoid confusion really. Now streaming media can do a sub stream to, and they probably will do so in the future but a dub stream first probably hits a wider audience. (And even more so for a download it will probably be awhile before we see a sub-only download, combination would probably be sooner though, as then you get some underhanded people who go "I dowwnloaded the wrong file I want a refund!" when in actuallity they didn't so because of that they have the "No returns" policy on a lot of legal downloads, so a few bad apples ruined it for the rest of us.)
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're doing this. Watching MoonPhase on YouTube is what encouraged me to buy the DVD box set. Streaming sure is handy, but I hope it never replaces DVDs completely... Cool
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
As I said on Funimation's official forums, Its about time they did it. Not to say I haven't seen shows from Funimation (i.e. their dubbed work on shows) on that site before, but I won't say anything more than that. Though at the least I've bought or am planning to buy every show I've watched online in a less than legal manner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Well I can understand the reasoning for a dub only distribution like that, it's to avoid confusion really. Now streaming media can do a sub stream to, and they probably will do so in the future but a dub stream first probably hits a wider audience. (And even more so for a download it will probably be awhile before we see a sub-only download, combination would probably be sooner though, as then you get some underhanded people who go "I dowwnloaded the wrong file I want a refund!" when in actuallity they didn't so because of that they have the "No returns" policy on a lot of legal downloads, so a few bad apples ruined it for the rest of us.)
They've been doing it on hulu and joost for a while now, with some of these very same titles even. I suppose that could be one reason why they opted not to do so. If that's not the case then it's kinda strange, the only thing that's been stopping jost/hulu is getting the distribution rights for the sub release; funi prolly doesn't have those kind of limitations.

Besides, there's a limit to trying to make up for consumer incompetence. especially when they're putting it up on a site like veoh. They're putting them on the site because they know they can benefit from veoh's user base. Most people will know how to navigate the site to get what they want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2