• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Miami Guns DVD 4

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem with the show is that it comes up short in everything it tries to accomplish.

This is why I felt that Miami Guns was the most disappointing anime release in 2004. From all of the hype that AN Entertainment gave this series, I expected a highly entertaining series. Instead as you said, Carlo, everything in this series was poorly executed. If AN Entertainment wants to make a positive impression in the anime market, they need to do a better job of handling whatever title they license. This series was obviously rushed in production because AN Ent. set their standards too high, especially for a mediocre parody series . Risky Safety was a nice series, but in reality it didn't exactly put AN Ent. on the map. Unfortunately for AN Ent., Miami Guns probably will set them back a few notches. They still have a long way to go.

Quote:
The best we can do is to be thankful that the series is over.

Amen, my friend! AMEN! Very Happy
Ask John
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
A long way to go to live up to what or who? Show me another domestic anime company that puts as much effort into producing faithful, fan friendly DVD releases as we do. You want better titles from AN Entertainment? I think our titles are just fine, thank you, unless you're a brainwashed mainstream anime junkie that classifies quality on the basis of how many fanboys like something. Sure, we don't have a Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion (yet), but I think average fans don't realize exactly what "support the anime industry" really means.

Furthermore, I'm rather shocked by the statement that the English language cast has, "A long way to go before reaching the standards of today's top dubbing studios," considering that the Miami Guns dub was produced by Phoenix Post Sound (formerly known as Coastal Carolina). I believe it was this Anime News Network eulogy that praised Coastal as, "Arguably the best... dubbing studio in the United States." (Note that I am directly quoting from Anime News Network's article.)

AN Entertainment is proud of the effort and devotion we put into each and every one of our domestic DVD releases, and we will unhesitatingly compare our localizations and DVDs to any in the American industry. It's perfectly reasonable to not like Miami Guns, but we'd like to encourage a bit of rational consideration in respect to Miami Guns and our efforts on behalf of English speaking anime fans.

John Oppliger
AN Entertainment
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
But Phoenix Post Sound practically didn't use ANY of the original VAs from Coastal Carolina Studios; a lot of the VAs in Phoenix were pretty new.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Woah, we got "Ask John" himself here.

I only saw this first two episodes of this series at Otakon, so I really can't comment.

BTW: I love your column. It's the proof that you can be a large fan of the genre and still maintain some level of discussion above the average drooling fanboy/fangirl.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
I think our titles are just fine, thank you, unless you're a brainwashed mainstream anime junkie that classifies quality on the basis of how many fanboys like something. Sure, we don't have a Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion (yet), but I think average fans don't realize exactly what "support the anime industry" really means.

I'm glad that you are happy with your titles, but I mean you've only released two so far, so it's not like there is some long track record for us to judge by. I haven't seen Risky Safety, but I went into MG with an open mind. Actually, from the preview I had seen, I was looking forward to it. It just failed to deliver. Horribly. I attribute that to the quality of the show, not the quality of the release, although I did have some qualms with the dubbing. Mainly, I could only stand to listen to Yao for about 20 seconds before I wanted to beat my brains in. The dubbing, IMO, could stand to use some improvement, but it's not really the reason that MG fails to entertain.

AN is still young and learning. Nobody can start at the top after all. I'm not sure there is a US anime company that didn't release some stuff at first that they would consider lackluster now, both in terms of series quality and dubbing.
Wonkyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I like AN Entertainment, and I'm looking forward to supporting them (with the release of Hare + Guu,) but this is a perfect example of how off-putting they can be professionally.

Am I the only one who finds those "another positive review of" posts on Animenation News frustrating? I'm there to read the news of the day, not another commercial for their company. And now this. John himself replies quite defensively to a less than favourable review. How often have we seen Gen Fukunaga (Funimation) or John Ledford (ADV) take online reviews so personally?

My advice to AN Entertainment would be that if they want to be treated like one of the big boys, they should behave like one.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this series and don't know much about it other than the summaries and reviews I've read... but could someone explain the cover of this volume's box to me? A coy looking naked girl on a bed and a small cartoon crocodile oogling her panties? I'm a tad speechless on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
You want better titles from AN Entertainment?

Absolutely. More RISKY. Less MIAMI.

Also, while personally I don't like HALE + GUU, I see it as a step in the right direction -- an already appreciated series that deserves a bigger audience. Good on ya for taking a chance on that show ... I know a lot of my friends will be very happy to add that to their shelves.

MIAMI GUNS has always struck me as something of an anomaly ... I had never heard good word of mouth from it even prior to AN Entertainment's acquisition of the title, and sometimes, "the word of a few fanboys" does turn out to be quite right in many cases. Your mileage may vary, of course, but generally, a show with poor word of mouth is not going to be as widely accepted or well-received.

Still, as long as it sells, then the real, professional answer here is to let your sales do the talking. If MIAMI GUNS sells well, then what does it matter that Carlo Santos thoroughly disliked it? However, he does have the right to give his honest opinion as a reviewer, and ethically, he *should* not say anything less than that. Evaluate the criticism and learn from it, rather than being defensive. If we don't like a product, it doesn't necessarily translate into disliking a company.

RISKY was a good choice: though not a conventional "smash hit" like an EVANGELION or an INU YASHA, it is plainly a good show.

Of course, what do I know? I'm just another fanboy. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote
I find it very ironic that John is calling other people fanboys, since he follows the otaku party line that all animation produced in Japan is artistically pure (an attitude Carlo ridiculed in his Ikki Tousen review), and has in the past bragged about (and categorized) the hentai collection on his hard drive - including nearly a gig of lolicon.

Also, "support the anime industry" is not synonymous with "swallow anything the anime industry puts out." I'll get some respect for the North American anime market when unconventional things like The Belladonna of Sadness, Gauche the Cellist, Windy Tales, Noiseman Sound Insect, Radio City Fantasy, and Mind Game get released stateside - to name a few, all of which I would buy if AN Entertainment picked them up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
the hentai collection on his hard drive - including nearly a gig of lolicon.

Jebus.

While frankly that's neither here nor there in terms of discussing the MIAMI GUNS release and we shouldn't be taking anyone to task over their habits, that's still pretty ...

*shakes head*

Thank you for the list of titles. I might add a few myself (some older, some newer; some conventional, some not; some feasible, some not):

Akazukin Chacha, I'll Make a Habit of It, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Oniisama e, Patapata Hikousen no Bouken, Rose of Versailles, Touch, Who's Left Behind?, Yawara, Yugo the Negotiator

(But that's just personal taste speaking there isn't it? Anime smile)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the proof that you can be a large fan of the genre and still maintain some level of discussion above the average drooling fanboy/fangirl.

Actually I think its proof on how a normally smart person can be totally blinded by his fandom. Have you read his defense of tenticle rape as not being sexist...

Actually I think its quite common for anime fanboys to elevate themselfs to try to gain some crediblity for the drivel that they are into, if anime is to actually be respected the intelligent fan should realize that the average anime isn't going to create a revoloution its going to be more innovative work that gets the attention.

Case in point, it was Akira that garnered enough attention to begin bringing anime to international audiences and yet the otaku in Japan hated that film because the woman wasn't Kawaii enough for their system of criticism :P
Juniper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
A long way to go to live up to what or who? Show me another domestic anime company that puts as much effort into producing faithful, fan friendly DVD releases as we do. You want better titles from AN Entertainment? I think our titles are just fine, thank you, unless you're a brainwashed mainstream anime junkie that classifies quality on the basis of how many fanboys like something. Sure, we don't have a Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion (yet), but I think average fans don't realize exactly what "support the anime industry" really means.

I was very disappointed to see this in the forums. Very disappointed. AN Entertainment needs to carry itself as a professional company, and not sink to griping about when one of their titles gets a negative review. Negative reviews happen. Sometimes they're justified, sometimes they're not. But this:
Quote:
I think our titles are just fine, thank you, unless you're a brainwashed mainstream anime junkie that classifies quality on the basis of how many fanboys like something.

is disgraceful. For every title out there, there will be someone who doesn't like it, and they will give you reasons why. In a reviewer's case, they are comparing each product to *everything else out there*. Why? because that's what reviewers do. There are levels of standards, and each title fits somewhere on that spectrum... in their opinion, which is, ultimately, what the review is.

If you want to be treated like one of the Big Players, you need to act like one. Whinging on a forum saying, "But I liked the title, so you're wrong!!!" isn't any better than the "fanboys" who say, "How dare you give my favorite show anything less than an A?" You put lots of hours, sweat, and dedication into each product, but you need to be more thick-skinned. To see a great man of your caliber sunk to whining unprofessionally on behalf of his company is disheartening.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Ask John wrote:
I believe it was this Anime News Network eulogy that praised Coastal as, "Arguably the best... dubbing studio in the United States." (Note that I am directly quoting from Anime News Network's article.)

I'll give you that, and take full responsability for not noticing that sentence and having it edited. Coastal / Phoenix is a top-notch studio.

But that doesn't mean they can't fall flat every once in a while. They used an entirely new cast of actors and Carlo wasn't impressed with the result.

I know Ryan was quite impressed with the dub (based on his viewing of the first volume), but it should be noted that two reviewers on the same site are certainly allowed to disagree. I prefer it when they agree, because then it cements an opinion, but it isn't always going to happen.

Anyways, in retrospect, that line in the review should have read somethng along the lines of "The English-language cast makes an effort to give the characters life and variety, but they have a long way to go before reaching the standards previously set by Coastal".

Quote:
AN Entertainment is proud of the effort and devotion we put into each and every one of our domestic DVD releases, and we will unhesitatingly compare our localizations and DVDs to any in the American industry.

And no one is disagreeing with that. Unfortunately all the effort and expertise in the world can't turn a bad Japanese anime into a good English anime. I think its important to note that the majority of Carlo's criticism was levelled at the anime itself. Obviously not everyone will agree with his opinion, but his opinion and presentation of said was, IMHO, sound.

Personally I was somewhat let down by Miami Guns. I enjoyed your work on Risky Safety, I know how much effort you put into doing things right, and I was highly amused by the first episode of Miami Guns. But the show just didn't progress much after the first episode.

I'm really looking forward to Guu though. I've seen the first dozen or so episodes of Guu and it remains (to that point at least) a great show throughout. I can't wait to see what AN Entertainment can do with it.

-t
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
Quote:
It's the proof that you can be a large fan of the genre and still maintain some level of discussion above the average drooling fanboy/fangirl.

Actually I think its proof on how a normally smart person can be totally blinded by his fandom. Have you read his defense of tenticle rape as not being sexist...

Actually I think its quite common for anime fanboys to elevate themselfs to try to gain some crediblity for the drivel that they are into, if anime is to actually be respected the intelligent fan should realize that the average anime isn't going to create a revoloution its going to be more innovative work that gets the attention.

Case in point, it was Akira that garnered enough attention to begin bringing anime to international audiences and yet the otaku in Japan hated that film because the woman wasn't Kawaii enough for their system of criticism Razz

I never said I agreed with all of his positions. I did read the hentai defense and had several issues with it. I was merely stating that a well written column released with some regularity is a rarity in fandom.
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This thread is comedy gold. I've never, ever seen a company representative respond that way to a review of their product. It's like he's indignant that people won't just blindly support whatever garbage AN Entertainment releases simply because they're painting themselves as "underdogs" who "serve the hardcore fans". Nice angle, but is anyone falling for this?

Also calling Miami Guns some kind of avant-garde non "mainstream" release is nonsense. It's a lame parody show where every other joke is LOL BOOBS. I don't know anyone who actually liked Miami Guns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4