Forum - View topic
NEWS: HRP-4C Robot Cosplays, Sings as Hatsune Miku Virtual Idol


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1653
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
That's not.... creepy. Miku is supposed to be cute, but not... THAT... +1 for technology at least. Bring on persocoms! Oh wait, we already HAVE "personal computers", I mean humanoid ones^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
giascle



Joined: 09 Sep 2008
Posts: 157
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
That was disturbing. At least her robotic voice fits for once.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaiterra



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WO4Wf454vA And of course everyone has opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darcerin



Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Posts: 330
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
I'm still astounded by how much Japan is in love with her. I don't *get* the rampant idolatry of this craze at all. It's a computer, programmed to sing - what am I missing here? And I'm not even referring to the robot here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CursedFrogurt



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Japan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
She's a cute girl with long blue hair and a mini-skirt who dances with leeks. What's there to get?

Granted, I think my avatar exposes some bias on my part. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
HyperGatack



Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 152
Location: MA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Kaiterra wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WO4Wf454vA And of course everyone has opinion.


So... Singing Japanese robots are Un-American?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iritscen



Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 793
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
To quote Rod Flanders (or was it Todd?), "Ow, my freakin' ears!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
nooneofconsequence



Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Location: WV
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
Kaiterra wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WO4Wf454vA And of course everyone has opinion.


So... Singing Japanese robots are Un-American?


Not really, O'Reilly will assign "Pinhead" status to anything that he finds stupid. The "Pinheads and Patriots" segment tends to run a mix of political and cultural items. The "Patriots" label is not strictly political but has been generally used to subjectively label people who either make positive contributions towards society, do good things, or do something he likes.

When I saw that segment last night I was wondering how soon it was going to be mentioned here... not to mention laughing because he did make a pretty good point about about the awful singing. It's neat they can make a robot do that, but they need to make some refinements. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brazzlefrazz



Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 163
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
I thought the video was pretty cool, except for the parts where it went "la-la-la-la-la-lalala-AAAAAAAAAAAAH". I'm hoping there was something with their microphone, because that was just awful.

As for the Pinheads and Patriots thing, I doubt he would've liked the song even if it didn't sound bad there, I can't imagine he'd be into Japanese music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nagato316



Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 306
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I'm still astounded by how much Japan is in love with her. I don't *get* the rampant idolatry of this craze at all...


Adulation over a virtual idol is no worse than the current trend in popular music in the West where everybody and their kid brother in the genres of pop and R&B are filtering their voices through Auto-Tune (or is that Auto-Tone?). The end result...actual human recording artists sounding more and more like Vocaloids themselves...wait, what? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8240
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
darcerin wrote:
I'm still astounded by how much Japan is in love with her. I don't *get* the rampant idolatry of this craze at all...


Adulation over a virtual idol is no worse than the current trend in popular music in the West where everybody and their kid brother in the genres of pop and R&B are filtering their voices through Auto-Tune (or is that Auto-Tone?). The end result...actual human recording artists sounding more and more like Vocaloids themselves...wait, what? Confused
While auto-tune does make the sound go through a digital process, at least they're still following typical human pronunciation. I can't get into Miku's music because there is no flow to her voice. It's very jagged and unsettling. When they make a digital voice that can mimic human pronunciation, then I'll see the charm. Till then I'll just wonder about it myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuelp
Industry Insider


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 2167
Location: San Antonio, USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
nagato316 wrote:
darcerin wrote:
I'm still astounded by how much Japan is in love with her. I don't *get* the rampant idolatry of this craze at all...


Adulation over a virtual idol is no worse than the current trend in popular music in the West where everybody and their kid brother in the genres of pop and R&B are filtering their voices through Auto-Tune (or is that Auto-Tone?). The end result...actual human recording artists sounding more and more like Vocaloids themselves...wait, what? Confused
While auto-tune does make the sound go through a digital process, at least they're still following typical human pronunciation. I can't get into Miku's music because there is no flow to her voice. It's very jagged and unsettling. When they make a digital voice that can mimic human pronunciation, then I'll see the charm. Till then I'll just wonder about it myself.


What the general public doesn't understand is that programs like Vocaloid and Miku are not singers. They are instruments.
Just like any instrument, the quality of the music depends on the performer...

There are songs people have created which use Hatsune Miku's voice in ways that nearly mimic human singing, and there are those who purposefully display the robot nature of the voice as part of the song itself, and any other number of different performance styles.

To say "Miku's singing sucks" is like saying "the violin sucks" or "man, I hate piano". I suppose that's a valid opinion but it's quite a broad brush.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AnimeGuy1



Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
LMAO she's supposed to be hot not chubby and ugly. I guess somethings just dont translate into real life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8240
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
nagato316 wrote:
darcerin wrote:
I'm still astounded by how much Japan is in love with her. I don't *get* the rampant idolatry of this craze at all...


Adulation over a virtual idol is no worse than the current trend in popular music in the West where everybody and their kid brother in the genres of pop and R&B are filtering their voices through Auto-Tune (or is that Auto-Tone?). The end result...actual human recording artists sounding more and more like Vocaloids themselves...wait, what? Confused
While auto-tune does make the sound go through a digital process, at least they're still following typical human pronunciation. I can't get into Miku's music because there is no flow to her voice. It's very jagged and unsettling. When they make a digital voice that can mimic human pronunciation, then I'll see the charm. Till then I'll just wonder about it myself.


What the general public doesn't understand is that programs like Vocaloid and Miku are not singers. They are instruments.
Just like any instrument, the quality of the music depends on the performer...

There are songs people have created which use Hatsune Miku's voice in ways that nearly mimic human singing, and there are those who purposefully display the robot nature of the voice as part of the song itself, and any other number of different performance styles.

To say "Miku's singing sucks" is like saying "the violin sucks" or "man, I hate piano". I suppose that's a valid opinion but it's quite a broad brush.

If you're going to be that broad about it, the mouth/voice itself is just an instrument. So is saying that someone who sings like frog does so terribly akin to saying the violin/piano sound terrible?

But that's neither here nor there. As I'm generally interested in getting purely synthetic voices to mimic typical human speech/singing patterns, I would like to see links (Youtube/Niconico) of songs where you think Miku "nearly mimic[s] human singing". It would probably be better if you could PM them to me where we can then extend this conversation in PM form.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Gross.

I think I'm going to have to side with O'Reilly for once on this one. The amount of Uncanny Valley I'm getting from the awful automation plus the creepy voice is just adalkfjlkdfjadsl HEAD EXPLODE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group