• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo Sells 9,000 BDs to Top Japan's Weekly Anime Chart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The sales figures for Ponyo might sound a little weak compared to other recent high-selling anime titles, but I think it's rather deceptive. Ghibli films have a longevity that other anime can't touch (except for maybe Eva Rebuild). I'd expect Ponyo to do extremely well over the long term. Additionally, Ponyo doesn't exactly have the same kind of audience as most anime - this isn't exactly an otaku favorite. Otaku have moved over very aggressively to Blu-ray, while this is more a mass market title. I wouldn't be surprised if DVD sales were higher.

Edit: The DVD sales ranking reminds me that Ponyo has been out on DVD for months and has already sold over 800,000 copies, so yeah, I think it sold more on DVD.

I am rather surprised the special edition sold so well. Very expensive (over $200 list at current exchange rates).

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda sad 10k special edition copies of GI Joe were sold... but I guess there's an audience for it in Japan.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm kinda sad 10k special edition copies of GI Joe were sold... but I guess there's an audience for it in Japan.

Didn't that have an audiance here? That's already one of my favorite movies ever.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Didn't that have an audiance here? That's already one of my favorite movies ever.

The same drones who stare in awe at explosions I suppose.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Explosions? who cares about explosions? Story is whats important. And speaking of which, I enjoyed the novelization more than the movie.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
To be expected really.
The audience this movie is aimed at is not the type that owns a Blu-ray player yet.
Otaku's are the ones that mostly dominate this format as they're quick to adopt new technology.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
To be expected really.
The audience this movie is aimed at is not the type that owns a Blu-ray player yet.
Otaku's are the ones that mostly dominate this format as they're quick to adopt new technology.

It's unfortunate that otaku were largely "meh" on Ponyo. It's a fantastic looking movie that deserves to be seen in the best format possible, it doesn't matter if you're an otaku or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1