• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Monsters in the Attic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarCho66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Did she just really use "unique" and Psycho Pass in the same sentence? Rolling Eyes
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yay, The Stream is back.

And what's this, PSYCHO-PASS is #1? Blasphemy.
12laus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Dropping SAO... not that I blame you... but I bet a lot of fans will be flaming this article for it xD
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Bamboo is enjoying Pet Girl. A lot of people wrote it off after the first episode or just because of the premise itself, so hopefully this'll get some people to try it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Psycho-Pass is also my favorite this season, I'm happy its past the "trying too hard to be cool" and delving deeper into the cracks in the system.

I'm still enjoying my butt off Saint Seiya Omega. The gold saints are so ridiculously over the top, yet bring out so much nostalgia. I have high hopes for spoiler[Ikki] showing up now that the focus is heading tospoiler[ Leo]

Magi is also one of my top, it stays strong even after the nomad arc which was kind of dull. It's so fun, innocent and child-like it always makes me happy

Also currently watching Sukitte Ii Na yo, Zetsuen Tempest, Shirokuma Cafe, and K which are all middle ground for now. I enjoy them, but they don't make jump out of bed waiting for new episodes.

On the bottom of my list I'd have SAO, which I'm just watching for the pretty drawing and because it'll just be 3 more episodes so whatever, and Shin Sekai Yori, with which I feel the same as Bamboo. One episode is incredibly boring, the next can bring something exciting to the table, but the pacing is too slow and I catch myself falling asleep more often than not. I hope this new arc brings something more interesting, and no more mutant rat wars
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, on Kamisama Hajimemashita, wrote:
It's slowly stagnated over the last few episodes, and its once-sharp humor repertoire has grown a little stale. In part, the crush that Nanami has for Tomoe has taken over the show like a fungus, to the point where the episodes feel like they've fallen into a rhythm.

What? Are we watching the same show? Just look what happened in the rooftop scene in episode seven, or how Tomoe treats Nanami in episode eight. How the heck is that being stale?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Great to see another Stream article; hopefully the workload will get lighter since you dropped some shows, Bamboo.

Psycho-Pass: It's 50/50 for me. On one hand, the murders are gruesome but I like the thought process that went into them. She mentions how female boarding schools were meant to create the art piece known as "true lady" which, I took as a jab at housewives and purity commonly associated with females. On the other hand, I still don't care for most of the cast. I am hoping Kogami's backstory will be shed more light because, so far, he's the only one with actual depth. Also, not bad looking for a Spike clone.

Still watching:
My Little Monster-Fun characters and easy to kick back to enjoy.
BTOOOM!-Sort of a guilty pleasure now. The violence isn't "spectacular" but I'm not going to worry about the plot with this one.
Blast of Tempest- Okay...Just because the characters quote Shakespeare every episode doesn't make them sophisticated. But, I'm enjoying the little twists and turns.
Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai!-I can see why so many fans like Kyoto Animation. Even though this is a LN adaptation, Director Tatsuya Ishihara does a great job with pacing. It's just a really fun show while also adding enough time for a little bit of drama and romance for their characters. Yuuta & Rikka are so adorable together~ Plus, the slapstick is rather funny.

Also still watching:
Magi, Kamisama Kiss, Say "I love You", Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, Space Brothers, Polar Bear Cafe, K (I like the visuals, I know the writing is terrible, but I just can't stop watching for some reason Anime dazed), Hunter x Hunter, and From the New World (Totally agree that this show has pacing problems. I couldn't stand the Rat War arc. Took too long and, the fact that this series changes animation directors almost every other episode, makes the quality inconsistent. Still, I'm more interested in the story too drop this series.)

Finally gave up on Sword Art Online, eh?

I'll watch Pet Girl and Robotics;Notes next season; too late for me to start at the beginning.

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I think Kamisama Hajimemashita is getting better every episode, very entertaining Smile and I'm in the minority here when I say that I'm enjoying "the mess" K is in Razz
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It's nice you can see Pet Girl's good points, but one thing:

Quote:
His classmate Nanami (who joins the harem)

There is no harem in this show. It's just a love triangle between Mashiro, Sorata, and Nanami. Sure it contains stuff you might call 'harem tropes', but this kinda just shows those tropes aren't exclusive to harems in the first place.

And no, his sister isn't serious enough a love interest to be considered the 3rd member of the harem (plus she's only in one episode).

Quote:
(we think it's his sister, but of course she's not actually related to him)

Last I checked cousins are relatives Laughing They're just marriable ones in Japan.

Quote:
K is an absolute mess.

I disagree. Eureka Seven AO was a mess. K is entirely followable.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I only have two major observations. I am really surprised that Psycho-Pass jumped to number 1; I might need to give it another shot. And what happened to Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Bamboo?

This is my list:

1. From the New World - It can be a mess, but it continues to be the best well done and compelling show of the season to me.

2. MAGI - A show that can be fun and sad but hopeful.

3. Robotics;Notes - It has really grown on me; I like the characters and their interactions a lot.

4. My Little Monster - It continues to be solid and entertaining.

5. Blast of Tempest - It can be intriguing at times but is mostly forgettable.

6. Sword Art Online - It is in my forgettable list; I am mostly curious about how it ends.

7. Say, "I Love You" - It is slowly becoming my disappointment of the season.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Tempest, Robotic Notes and Ixion, I'm not really watching much. Working on the good old backlog if anything.

On the topic of SAO, I'm waiting for Gun Gale, thank you very much. If they ever do it, that is.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
It's like you took the words right out of my mouth, completely agree with this list.
One thing though, "that twist" in Tempest that "will blow your mind" - seriously? That was so obvious from a mile off that I assumed that it had to be something else.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I still say you need to pick Girls und Panzer back up. Your reasons for dropping it were nebulous [now's not the right time] or something to that degree, but now is the time. They've gotten through some rounds of battle and the final confrontations between the Russia and inevitable German styled schools are coming. If the tank battles aren't enough to capture attention, the interesting cast should be.

And your criticisms for it were weak or just wrong. Old tanks are easy to start up and drive. You won't be tank ace material, but that's why they practice. The hardest thing about it would be shifting gears. They were scattered about because previous Sensahdou clubs existed at that academy. It doesn't take a backseat to cute girls doing cute things, unless you consider lobbing shells at one another to be kawaii uguu activities.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Great to see another Stream article; hopefully the workload will get lighter since you dropped some shows, Bamboo.

Psycho-Pass: It's 50/50 for me. On one hand, the murders are gruesome but I like the thought process that went into them. She mentions how female boarding schools were meant to create the art piece known as "true lady" which, I took as a jab at housewives and purity commonly associated with females. On the other hand, I still don't care for most of the cast. I am hoping Kogami's backstory will be shed more light because, so far, he's the only one with actual depth. Also, not bad looking for a Spike clone.

Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but it sounds to me it pulled off a cynical take on the Class S. I always wondered how Urobuchi would delve into the Marimite-like world and got bits and pieces out of it. Laughing

And is it just me or it has always been Shinya that managed to pull these deductions in the cases? When will the other peeps get to pitch in? And I seriously hope we have the other characters' moment to shine at some point, and it better NOT be used as a means to kill them off the following episode or so.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but it sounds to me it pulled off a cynical take on the Class S. I always wondered how Urobuchi would delve into the Marimite-like world and got bits and pieces out of it. Laughing

And is it just me or it has always been Shinya that managed to pull these deductions in the cases? When will the other peeps get to pitch in? And I seriously hope we have the other characters' moment to shine at some point, and it better NOT be used as a means to kill them off the following episode or so.

This is the second show I saw this year that took a punch at Maria-sama. (Humanity has Declined was an earlier one with *shiver* the Wildrose Society). I personally liked the series as a 'fantasy' yuri with no harmful intentions but was it well received in Japan? It has three seasons so I figured people liked it. Sort of like: yuri + otaku fans=$$$

Yeah...it's weird how Kogami always manages to solve the case before everyone else (even Ginoza- a veteran officer and Masaoka- the eldest have a hard time keeping up.) I suppose he's the bloodhound who gets s**t done. But, I really hope Akane gets her time in the spotlight. Unless Gen decides to kill her off later on then, oh well. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9