• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animatrix's Studio 4°C to Animate New ThunderCats

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well. My first thought is bring it on.

My second is the part where it says it'll be Warner Bros "first anime." Judging by the preview image, it looks like it'll be CG...
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it's just a promo image. Being Studio 4C I'm sure it be very much Anime.

And I agree, I say, bring it on. I was a fan of Thundercats when I was like 4 years old, but watching reruns when I was older in the 90s, I didn't see the appeal. It came across very corny. I'd love to see a fresh take on it though.
Zilan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the original creator of thundercats just get murdered? Then this is announced? I smell conspiracy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Guess that alleged live-action movie is not happening right now? I just hope it's better than the Gonzo G.I. Joe.
thenextday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Didn't the original creator of thundercats just get murdered? Then this is announced? I smell conspiracy.

Yeah, his body was found like a week ago.

Very strange coincidence if this is true.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I saw this on AICN. I saw Thundercats in the headline and thought "Oh great, someone's gonna make a lame Thundercats movie", then I saw Studio 4C's name and my head exploded. Very Happy
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I was going to come in here questioning why anyone would want to do this (Thundercats, like Transformers, strikes me as one of those nostalgiac geek shows that should have just been forgotten) but honestly that promo art looks pretty cool.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

spoiler[I just came....]

spoiler[... In my pants..]

Penguin_Factory wrote:
I was going to come in here questioning why anyone would want to do this (Thundercats, like Transformers, strikes me as one of those nostalgiac geek shows that should have just been forgotten)

You know, I was going to make a snide remark (something along the lines of you suffering from brain damage), but I'm just in too much shock to make such a reply.

Last edited by rockman nes on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I was a fan of Thundercats when I was a little kid. I'm also a fan of Studio 4C so to hear this makes me orgasm with excitement.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
AW SHEET!!! Once again my dream finally happened. Back in my HS days when I used to watch the 'Thundercats' and sit and talk with friends about how goddamn cheesy it was. Every possible idea that they could come up with would have some hackneyed BS and have you smacking your head wondering "what the hell?" But 'TC' of the days is fondly remembered for those times during the 80's. It's a classic in it's own right. But one day [when I started getting into Japanese anime, and along with other friends and fans of old would claim they were better than any American show on TV] I threw this thought out during a discussion with friends,

"I bet if Thundercats were done by a Japanese animation studio they'd do a better job."

This was 25 years ago. Mind you I was stating that they'd do a better job with the series overall. I always wanted to see what would happen if an anime studio took a shot. Of course there are times it doesn't always work. Look what they did with the 'TMNT'. Yet the OP was done overseas anyway. The defunct publication of 'MyAnime' magazine ran a section containing B&W production sketches of the characters and opening sequence. Which I own. They also did one for the 'TMNT' when it first aired. This was my first exposure to the fact that any awesome OP for a show you saw back then, was always done overseas. Rankin & Bass studios had quite a bit of overseas contact for the majority of their animated works. Look at 'Last Unicorn', 'The Hobbit', 'Return of the King', 'Flight of Dragons', and years later 'TC'. They all had a very distinct style. I wonder if this is due to the CG movie that's supposed to come out or completely separate. Of course when they announced the 'CG' movie I also wondered if someone would revive the animated series because they were reviving other old shows like 'He-Man', 'TMNT', 'Transformers' etc... I would have never imagine that this would come to pass. I'm really excited about this news. If it does well could boost the sales for the old stuff. And Studio 4C does excellent work as usual.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is me just being an annoying pessimist, but is it okay
to be a bit weary of this show? I mean, c'mon folks, we've seen so many dang remakes and "reboots" in the past few years, it's enough to make my head spin. Sure, "Thundercats" is a great show, and without a doubt one of my favorite shows from the decade I wish I had been born in (my favorite being "Robotech".) Isn't it about time that we start seeing some quality kids shows that are, I dunno, NEW properties, instead of relaunches?

Perhaps this is just my jaded teenage cynicism talking, but color me unimpressed that "Thundercats" is just the latest retro favorite to be given a twenty-first century makeover.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The original ThunderCats itself hasn't aged that well, if you want me to be honest, but this is unexpected and I'm willing to check it out.

Last edited by nightjuan on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
And a good number of fanboys everywhere suddenly spoiler[shat their pants] in shock and amazement.

And will eventually realize that nostalgia makes everything a lot more prettier.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that I'm down with any show featuring a limber cheetah woman and a sword that swells several times its original size at the climax of every episode. Wink
Pandadice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
Well. My first thought is bring it on.

My second is the part where it says it'll be Warner Bros "first anime." Judging by the preview image, it looks like it'll be CG...

wait what? CG animation still counts as anime bro.

However you're right, this isn't an anime. It's just a western studio outsourcing to Japan. Just like they outsourced to Studio 4C for Transformers the Animated series, and Rankin/Bass outsourced to Japan for the original Thundercats series. None of it's anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5