• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Season 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
they also introduce what will become one of the franchise's most annoying recurring gimmicks: sequences where Goku gets some advance training/power boost and then spends a couple of episodes rushing to get to the scene of a big battle to help out his friends, who are struggling to just hold on against a major villain. (This later gets repeated several times in DBZ.)

So true! Off the top of my head I can think of three--spoiler[Goku racing to save Gohan and Krillin from Vegeta and Nappa, Goku racing to Namek in the spaceship to save Gohan and Krillin from The Ginyu Force, Goku racing from the healing chamber to save Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo from Frieza. ]

Didn't really notice when I was watching it for the first time...
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
It is pretty funny how almost every fight in Dragonball after Piccolo is the same way. The heroes get beat up as Goku races to the scene after some major training.

The only time I can remember it being a little different is when they confronted final Cell.
rubixcubd60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have always thought that the Goku vs. King Piccolo is the absolute best fight in all of the franchise and maybe one of the best in Shounen action as a whole. Even if you hate Dragon Ball if you like Shounen even only slightly you have to watch that arc!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1