Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East TV Anime




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1643
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I swear every day Sentai has yet a new announcement. Feels like ADV part 2, with picking up EVERYTHING that comes out! Then again, they don't exactly dub everything like they used to, either...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I swear every day Sentai has yet a new announcement. Feels like ADV part 2, with picking up EVERYTHING that comes out! Then again, they don't exactly dub everything like they used to, either...


They also don't have a manga division, a toy division, a record label, a VOD channel, a magazine, an original production division, of any of the other businesses that ADV had. They don't even own a dubbing studio or have the ability to encode their own discs anymore. With all that, comes a lot fewer employees as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mario1234567



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 614
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
When are you guys gonna License Hyouka?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1717
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
So first amnesia and now this. Well I guess ADV/Sentai is trying to break Donald Trump's record for most bankruptcies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
So first amnesia and now this. Well I guess ADV/Sentai is trying to break Donald Trump's record for most bankruptcies.


Considering ADV never filed for bankruptcy, they'd have a long way to go...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VanGosroth



Joined: 24 Mar 2006
Posts: 299
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
So first amnesia and now this. Well I guess ADV/Sentai is trying to break Donald Trump's record for most bankruptcies.


Sentai Filmworks wrote:
Audience: I've heard rumors that Sentai is stretching itself too thin and licensing too much?

Williams: That has been brought up at many a panel! We are being very careful at Sentai. We saw what happened in the past at other companies and we are trying to be very careful with what we do and how we do it. We're very small, there's hardly anyone at Sentai. When I worked at ADV, ADV had everything. Their recording studios, translators, production editors and equipments, they did everything. Sentai is just the company, there's hardly anything because we contract everything out. We know pretty much what the production capacity is for the people we're working with, we know how much we can afford to license, and we see how sales are going. We factor all that in and we're not going to let ourselves get stretched too thin, [Audience applauds.] ...The real thing is that we've gotten more and more into streaming which is why it looks like we're licensing so much. The company HAS grown since it started in...2007, I think? I was in ADV until 2008 and 2010 is when I actually started working with Sentai...so we understand that concern very well and I think we're doing a good job of avoiding that. So don't be too worried about it, just enjoy your anime.


animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2012/otakon/13

Don't worry be happy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1643
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

They also don't have a manga division, a toy division, a record label, a VOD channel, a magazine, an original production division, of any of the other businesses that ADV had.


This is true. I totally forgot about the toys they put out and things like Newtype, which I'm sure couldn't have been cheap to license!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxedocat



Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2183
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
So first amnesia and now this. ....


It is pretty obvious you are singling out the shows directed at a female audience here. Sour Grapes. They have licensed shows for this audience before. Do you really think that if they didn't make money on those, that they would license these?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
chichiri_chan



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, am really excited about this announcement! I can't wait to buy the DVD or BD. Anime smallmouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahzel rose
Subscriber



Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 768
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I will totally be snatching this up once it hits the market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
they just keep licensing all this stuff---then i dont even see it at retail for like 1.5 years
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1717
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
So first amnesia and now this. ....


It is pretty obvious you are singling out the shows directed at a female audience here. Sour Grapes. They have licensed shows for this audience before. Do you really think that if they didn't make money on those, that they would license these?


Yes, yes they would. Ever heard of something called bundling? Both Funi and ADV as well as other were forced to take and release shows that probably lost money in exchange for hot ticket items.

And yes I am singling out those and lets not forget Hakuoi because this is not the kind of stuff that they had licensed up to a year ago, and its not the stuff that has helped them recover from the ADV breakdown. I know I own many titles from both ADV and Sentai. Somebody can license these, but it should not be Sentai. Yeah they put out Neo Angelique shows, but thats about it, and I cant say they were amongst their popular sellers.

I have fruits basket, hana yori dango, and fuushugi yuugi on myself; however those are good reverse harem shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragon695



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 1377
Location: Clemson, SC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
So first amnesia and now this. ....


It is pretty obvious you are singling out the shows directed at a female audience here. Sour Grapes. They have licensed shows for this audience before. Do you really think that if they didn't make money on those, that they would license these?


Yes, yes they would. Ever heard of something called bundling? Both Funi and ADV as well as other were forced to take and release shows that probably lost money in exchange for hot ticket items.

And yes I am singling out those and lets not forget Hakuoi because this is not the kind of stuff that they had licensed up to a year ago, and its not the stuff that has helped them recover from the ADV breakdown. I know I own many titles from both ADV and Sentai. Somebody can license these, but it should not be Sentai. Yeah they put out Neo Angelique shows, but thats about it, and I can't say they were amongst their popular sellers.

I have fruits basket, hana yori dango, and fuushugi yuugi on myself; however those are good reverse harem shows.

The problem is you see this as a reverse harem show. It is anything but. I'm not saying that it is off to a stellar start, but it is entertaining if you like shows involving Japanese folklore/youkai.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragonrider_cody



Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 2520
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
they just keep licensing all this stuff---then i don't even see it at retail for like 1.5 years


They generally aren't allowed to release a title until about 6 months after the final Japanese volume. Most of the shows have come out within about a year of their acquisition, with the exception of some Kadokowa titles which they were forced to wait on, along with Funimation, before they could release a bluray. They still get titles out much quicker than most of the R1 companies, and they almost never push back street dates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tuxedocat



Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2183
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
So first amnesia and now this. ....


It is pretty obvious you are singling out the shows directed at a female audience here. Sour Grapes. They have licensed shows for this audience before. Do you really think that if they didn't make money on those, that they would license these?


Yes, yes they would. Ever heard of something called bundling? Both Funi and ADV as well as other were forced to take and release shows that probably lost money in exchange for hot ticket items.


Yes, I've heard of "bundling". Now you are contradicting your original statement of how they are licensing properties that won't sell. If there is a "hot" property in there, as you say, how was this a bad business decision? ----- and how do you know for sure this was a bundling deal in the first place?

CrownKlown wrote:
And yes I am singling out those and lets not forget Hakuoi because this is not the kind of stuff that they had licensed up to a year ago, and its not the stuff that has helped them recover from the ADV breakdown.


I assume you are talking about Hakuoki? ... and why are you using this as an example? Do you have S23's sales figures on this title?

No? ---I didn't think so....


Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group